Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 May 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
They’ve put their prices up. I’ve been tracking some as we’ve lost a UK break for our mini moon, they’ve shot up!
I foolishly thought they might be desperate for business but clearly not.

Oh well - abroad we'll go when we can!
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I've just looked at canal boat rental for 2-4 people, it's coming out at between £1100-1600 a week during July/August, so not a significant increase, just regularly overpriced (IMO)!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

I have to travel for work it is not uncommon to pay £ 85.00 per night for a PI.
If it is a nice room £ 250 to 350 is the good rated, I am assuming that price includes breakfast for 2 which could easily come to £ 50 for the two of you.
it is very difficult to compare a holiday in Greece with one in the UK.
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I have to travel for work it is not uncommon to pay £ 85.00 per night for a PI.
If it is a nice room £ 250 to 350 is the good rated, I am assuming that price includes breakfast for 2 which could easily come to £ 50 for the two of you.
it is very difficult to compare a holiday in Greece with one in the UK.
There is no way that a good rate for a hotel is £350 a night!

That can equate to a whole week in Greece or Spain - ok maybe not 5* - who wants just one night in the UK even in a really nice hotel?

Top 5* hotels in Bangkok B&B are from £150 a night!

Its not that difficult to compare the two really - guaranteed weather, decent food at reasonable prices abroad, or dodge the showers here for the same price for a couple of nights?

Its really a no brainer!
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I'd love to get away for a few days but I won't pay the costs that I'm seeing for a UK break. I was looking at UK holidays in July/August for the two of us. I found a lovely tree house on the Forest Holidays website but it was £900 for 3 nights! Center Parks was about £550 for 3 nights (their basic room) and Hoseasons/Haven were a bit less but still very expensive.

I got looking at short breaks to Lisbon, Amsterdam, Prague etc. for the end of August and found they were much more reasonable.
That is so expensive..the three nights we booked at Atlantis in Dubai club room all meals etc and flights and airport transfers only £1.500 ..the British Tourist industry are really having a laugh.
Pity it was cancelled for us..but was a bargain.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Emmymouse
Proud to wear my Ears

We've always struggled with this...I'd love to support UK tourism but by the time we've found somewhere nice to go, its usually extortionate and then you run the risk of having a week of terrible weather!

We typically get good prices in the Highlands through winter where you expect the weather, but if I'm paying £1000 for the two of us to potentially have a week of rain in September I'd rather just go to Spain.
WDW/Coronado Springs - 24th September 2020 - 1st October 2020.
Emmymouse is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

When we do a UK break (usually a weekend. They’re not holidays to us, just a short break from work) we tend to book last minute.

We had 4 nights in Newquay at a really lovely site in 2017 for £170 for the both of us. Drive down in a storm that killed 4 people. Got sunburnt the next 2 days, rained on and off on the last day.

We had a really lovely time! Would we have paid £1k for the same thing? Absolutely not.

We had paid £600 for a really lovely lodge in the Peak District for after our wedding with a sauna in the lodge and hot tub outside, spa services on site etc. This obviously was cancelled and now for September it’s over £1k and the particular lodge we want has sold out.

So we need to find a new mini moon!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I do laugh at these threads, we have in the past have had a week in a travelodge/premier inn for around £50 a night including breakfast and used it as a base for some great days out.
We stayed in one around 2015 and did Harry Potter at Watford, Chessington and Thorpe park, did London with a show and a few lovely days out around there.
Rain doesn’t stop play for us, some of our best days out with the kids growing up have been winter on Ainsdale beach with the kites and a picnic
I would never pay center parks prices but I have bought the sun (ready to get flamed) and done a few of their £9.50 holidays on some lovely caravan parks.
You can do the uk on a budget
dubletrub is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmymouse
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
I do laugh at these threads, we have in the past have had a week in a travelodge/premier inn for around £50 a night including breakfast and used it as a base for some great days out.
We stayed in one around 2015 and did Harry Potter at Watford, Chessington and Thorpe park, did London with a show and a few lovely days out around there.
Rain doesn’t stop play for us, some of our best days out with the kids growing up have been winter on Ainsdale beach with the kites and a picnic
I would never pay center parks prices but I have bought the sun (ready to get flamed) and done a few of their £9.50 holidays on some lovely caravan parks.
You can do the uk on a budget
I think it really depends on what holiday experience you're looking for.

We have two dogs - so they come with us which puts out city break style weekends. We also like to get out into the countryside or the beach and be able to be outside. Those sorts of holidays always cost significantly more than a couple of nights in Watford.
WDW/Coronado Springs - 24th September 2020 - 1st October 2020.
Emmymouse is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Picalily View Post
We always found UK holidays to be expensive and price wise hotels/accomodation are much more basic than what you get for the same money abroad.
I agree, they have always been expensive, well over £1000 a week, typically £1500 in Summer. We always used to go to cornwall, that’s why we decided to start going to Florida 😂😂

As for putting their prices up, supply and demand surely ?

Edited at 12:10 PM.
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List