Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 27 May 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
craaazyuk
Excited about Disney

Advice on putting in offer please

So we are due to be at Disney in August but to be honest with my sensible head on I'm not sure how realistic it is going to be. Masks will be the deal breaker for us I think but we shall see.
So we are now looking at alternative uses of the money we would be spending. We have been interested in DVC for a while but never quite pushed the button, due to exchange rate etc but I don't see that changing anytime soon for the better (happy to be proved wrong though!). We would be looking at buying about 120 points at SSR to go every other year for two weeks, this seems to be plenty of points for the dates that we want. I have been having a look around at contracts etc and there does seem to be some good prices at the moment. What I want to know though is what a reasonable offer is. For example if there was a 100 point contract up for $100 a point what is a reasonable offer on that in your opinion? Also if we had a small random amount of points left over, 8 for example can you rent them out or is there just no point because of the small amount?
craaazyuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

SSR looks to be from the high 90's to 110, whatever you feel is a reasonable offer then go for it. Do a calculation of how many points are available on the contract though, some contracts are 'stripped' - this means the owner has already borrowed the points from a future year and used/rented the points, meaning no value for you.

Any small extra points you should be looking to bank (at 4 months before the end of your use year). If it's more than a couple of points you might be able to rent the points by making a booking at a low points value resort - eg make a studio booking at OKW for 10 points in September. You can transfer your points to another member in exchange for cash - never done it myself.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Low - High 90's dependant on how desperate the owner is to sell, with Disney currently not using ROFR then it's possible to slip a "silly" contract under their noses. Still expect to pay around £10k on current FX rate though.
I'd still continue to do your "homework" as those contracts aren't going anywhere. For 120 you will get SSR all year but if you want to try other resorts then you are sort of limiting yourself. I'd also point out that DVC isn't going to "save" you any money, if your Gran Destino is costing £10k & assuming Free Dining, then DVC will only "save" you the accommodation part of that- full price tickets & full price dining plus flights.I reckon by the time our contract ends (2054) we will about have broken even !
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by craaazyuk View Post
So we are due to be at Disney in August but to be honest with my sensible head on I'm not sure how realistic it is going to be. Masks will be the deal breaker for us I think but we shall see.
So we are now looking at alternative uses of the money we would be spending. We have been interested in DVC for a while but never quite pushed the button, due to exchange rate etc but I don't see that changing anytime soon for the better (happy to be proved wrong though!). We would be looking at buying about 120 points at SSR to go every other year for two weeks, this seems to be plenty of points for the dates that we want. I have been having a look around at contracts etc and there does seem to be some good prices at the moment. What I want to know though is what a reasonable offer is. For example if there was a 100 point contract up for $100 a point what is a reasonable offer on that in your opinion? Also if we had a small random amount of points left over, 8 for example can you rent them out or is there just no point because of the small amount?
I have been selling Disney Vacation Club properties since 2004 and my advice is to fire off offers. Let's say you want 120 point listing at Saratoga Springs and you are not in a super hurry to purchase. If that is the case I would start with an offer of $90 per point and see what happens. Then just keep looking for more 120 point listing and keep doing the same thing. Then you will either run into a seller who just wants it sold. For some sellers the $1,200 difference is not a big deal to them. They just want it sold and are ready to move on with their next adventure.

Plus I have had many buyers do the same thing and after 5 to 10 offers and sellers not accepting the offer they are making they figure out where the bottom is.

I hope that helps.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®

Edited at 04:00 PM.
JasonErpelding is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
craaazyuk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thank you everyone that’s really helpful information. I’m certainly going to continue to research it a lot more as it’s an awful lot of money to spend. I appreciate it’s not really a way of saving money by the time I add park tickets, flights and don’t get free dining but we see it as a good way of getting deluxe accommodation at a good price. We have also decided to go for a 150 point contract so it gives us more options if we wanted to stay for longer or to try a different resort and any left over points we will rent out.
Researching DVC has taken my mind off the current climate at least! 😊
craaazyuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you everyone that’s really helpful information. I’m certainly going to continue to research it a lot more as it’s an awful lot of money to spend. I appreciate it’s not really a way of saving money by the time I add park tickets, flights and don’t get free dining but we see it as a good way of getting deluxe accommodation at a good price. We have also decided to go for a 150 point contract so it gives us more options if we wanted to stay for longer or to try a different resort and any left over points we will rent out.
Researching DVC has taken my mind off the current climate at least! 😊
I think you have it right- DVC doesn’t save money, it costs money, but for most folks it does mean you regularly stay in nice deluxe which are often grossly overpriced cash (well they aren’t as people pay it but you know what I mean) and you do have some bloody nice holidays for a reasonable sum after.
Remember your buy in is not dead money either- many treat it as being dead money, and whilst you should never buy counting on selling it, no one in 26 years has had much problem selling them on if they get bored.
Old 29 May 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
craaazyuk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I think you have it right- DVC doesn’t save money, it costs money, but for most folks it does mean you regularly stay in nice deluxe which are often grossly overpriced cash (well they aren’t as people pay it but you know what I mean) and you do have some bloody nice holidays for a reasonable sum after.
Remember your buy in is not dead money either- many treat it as being dead money, and whilst you should never buy counting on selling it, no one in 26 years has had much problem selling them on if they get bored.
Yes I know exactly what you mean. Deluxe accommodation is very expensive paying cash, something that is normally too much for us so we really see this as a good way of staying in a luxury resort. We certainly don’t plan on selling it but it’s reassuring to know we could if we needed to.
The news about dining plans today just makes DVC seem even more appealing.
Old 30 May 20, 06:32 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yes I know exactly what you mean. Deluxe accommodation is very expensive paying cash, something that is normally too much for us so we really see this as a good way of staying in a luxury resort. We certainly don’t plan on selling it but it’s reassuring to know we could if we needed to.
The news about dining plans today just makes DVC seem even more appealing.
It’s funny as before I saw your post I’d just started a thread about could DVC points, or points to rent out, be seen as more valuable with what is going on.
Old 30 May 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
craaazyuk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
It’s funny as before I saw your post I’d just started a thread about could DVC points, or points to rent out, be seen as more valuable with what is going on.
Yes I certainly think it will be good for DVC points, especially if there is no free dining offer for next year. Which seems very likely at the moment.
Old 30 May 20, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

The other thing is how affordable flights will be? That’s not understood yet and would deter me personally until that was more clear.