Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Jan 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile Bid to upgrade - aer lingus

Hi

We have never flown Aer Lingus before but have our flights booked with them for February.

I was looking at the bid to upgrade option and the minimum price seems to be £420pp on the return flight, how good is it? Would it be worth putting in a bid at that price, obviously people might pay more so nothing would be guaranteed?

We are travelling home on the Saturday night then connecting at Dublin and straight back to work on the Monday which was why I was thinking if it was super comfy and good for sleeping it might be worth considering.
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Unicorn88
Earning My Ears

I believe they run a full Business Class service on the MCO route now. A number of years ago they just charged a premium for the seat but the service was the same as economy.

The business class service is good, attentive staff, lie flat seats (not quite the level of Qatar or Emirates) but good all the same.

Just remember that if your bid is successful ... you only find out a day or two before the flight so you may not get a seat beside the other members of your party. Also if you order special meals, they will not be Business class quality & you must make sure they transfer the meal request to your Business class ticket.
April / May 2023 and now 2024
Unicorn88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ABZDisney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We flew out & back to MCO with Aer Lingus in business class last November.
We really like their business class service & can confirm that the seats & service are top notch.
I managed a good 5 hours sleep on the way back if that helps to sway your decision.
We travelled out & back on a Saturday & although there were a couple of empty seats in business on the way out, the cabin was full on the way back.
November 2014 at Old Key West & The Yacht Club
November 2012 at The Swan
ABZDisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

They wont serve none business class meals in business class. We found this one out the hard way when our bid was rejected for this reason

To bid, you need to remove any special meals off your booking. If you are successful you will have a new choice.

The chance of winning by offering the lowest price is slim, but always possible. However remember if you have a family then you need to all win seats to get upgraded. For example, if a couple bid (2A) and a separate family bid (say 2A and 2C) and there are only 5 seats left and the couple bid £1 more, then the flight will go with 3 empty business class seats, and the family wont be upgraded, if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Unicorn88 View Post
Also if you order special meals, they will not be Business class quality & you must make sure they transfer the meal request to your Business class ticket.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Aer Lingus business class is a step better than Virgin and BA. We have bid a few times - generally under £400 per leg. We have been successful with these low bids maybe 50% of the time. To me it isn't worth £400+ per leg unless the economy price already paid was £400-500ish. So total ticket price in and around £1200.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

I was just about to ask the same question as we travel in May and have received several emails from AL asking if we wanted to bid to upgrade. Stanley Camel checked the availability for me and plenty of seats available but if £400 ish is the minimum don't think I'm going to bother.
Old 28 Jan 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Thanks everyone.
Old 28 Jan 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
I was just about to ask the same question as we travel in May and have received several emails from AL asking if we wanted to bid to upgrade. Stanley Camel checked the availability for me and plenty of seats available but if £400 ish is the minimum don't think I'm going to bother.
Glad to have been of a little help - if you want me to check again just put the request on the thread the same as last time. Happy to do it.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List