Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 May 20, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Has anyone done a 1 week Universal trip?

Hi all,

Due to a busy and uncertain schedule I don't think I can do my WDW trip in 2021. We might be able to do a 1 week trip however, and I'm wondering if we should just do a week at Universal. Has anyone done this? Did it feel too short and not worth the travel? I love Universal and 5 full days would be fab, but I also worry about being so close to Disney and being upset that I couldn't go. It might be better to wait until 2022, but we're both studying right now and I don't know if we'll have to work around teaching commitments in 2022 too. It's so hard!

Any experiences of 1 week Universal trips is much appreciated.
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

No but done 2 month only universal trips.
The thing is we stay in a villa, so its not hard to do a long trip and stay on one resort.
We can hang around the villa, go shopping or drive to the beach. But i could easily do a week at universal only if i was hotelling there is enough to do.

Colin
Old 29 May 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

We did it in February, in fact we flew on a Friday and was back the following Friday. We stayed at endless summer which was so convenient. We did the parks in the morning using the shuttle buses then back to get the car and we'd do some shopping then back for Mardi gras. We did volcano bay twice as well. We thought of going to Hollywood studios for a day but didnt, we went to Disney springs twice. It seemt quite a long week.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LostPrincess View Post
Hi all,

Due to a busy and uncertain schedule I don't think I can do my WDW trip in 2021. We might be able to do a 1 week trip however, and I'm wondering if we should just do a week at Universal. Has anyone done this? Did it feel too short and not worth the travel? I love Universal and 5 full days would be fab, but I also worry about being so close to Disney and being upset that I couldn't go. It might be better to wait until 2022, but we're both studying right now and I don't know if we'll have to work around teaching commitments in 2022 too. It's so hard!

Any experiences of 1 week Universal trips is much appreciated.
Yes done a few one week stops having stopped at the HRH and it is a very relaxed way of doing things. I think I might have done a couple of trip reports if you search through my old posts. It’s so chilled just going in the parks for a couple of hours and stopping at city walk for a beer on the way back. We didn’t bother with a car last time and used Uber if we wanted to go to the malls etc. We are generally early risers for the first few days and as the kids adults teens (whatever they are now) are older we generally split up and do our own things. Really enjoyable way of doing things and if it looks like things are going to resemble normality by Christmas I can see a universal stop only coming on.

Found one of the reports
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1104818

Edited at 11:18 AM.
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I did Universal for 5 nights tagged onto a cruise and Gulf Coast stay the other year. I know not entirely in keeping with your question in terms of travel, but certainly the Universal part of the trip was adequate at 5 nights we did everything. It was great. I think staying on site is a big boon. We stayed at Aventura so could walk into Volcano Bay and get the boat or walk to the other parks. We had missed a few rides by the end (only a couple) but mopped those up with a final night at Hard Rock where you get the Fastpass. Maybe worth going with the Hard Rock etc for the full stay over 7 nights even though that will mean you’ll easily do the rides twice over with the fastpass (normal times).
Old 29 May 20, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
guinness_79
Very Serious Dibber

we are doing this in october this year ... maybe! if not it will be 2021... we are maxing out the days tho and flying on a friday returning on the saturday so squeezing an extra day in!
guinness_79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by guinness_79 View Post
we are doing this in october this year ... maybe! if not it will be 2021... we are maxing out the days tho and flying on a friday returning on the saturday so squeezing an extra day in!
We did October at the HRH and had never done the HHN before and it was mad (in a good sense). The first house we went in (stranger things) I honestly jumped on the guys back in front of me. We also did the dining with the actors which was really good
Old 29 May 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

We did it in May 2018 after finding a great deal with Thomas Cook staying in Bahama Bay Resort, to me it was totally worth it and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again for a good price, I loved just being able to concentrate on universal for a whole week and we went to Disney Springs a couple of times for a Disney fix😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

Yes I was lucky enough to get two of those last year. One in May with DH and DS1 and 2. DD had exams so we left her here to have peace to study haha! Then DD and I went in September, did HHN and one night at MNSSHP. (We all have annual passes for universal)

Both times we didn’t bother with a car. May trip we stayed on I drive and used the trolley/ ubers to get to universal. I also used avios to book one night at Cabana Bay.

Sep we stayed at Cabana Bay and used Uber to get to outlets and MK.

I think there’s plenty to do at universal over a week. And the holiday felt a lot less rushed than one with Disney included. If going for a week or not going at all we’re the options I’d go for a week 😉

Edited at 10:29 AM.
WeHeartOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

This thread is going to cost me a lot of money as I can feel the Universal Christmas trip coming on - I'm going to start a just giving page if anyone wants to help