Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 May 20, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Installing air con & cost

We would like to get some quotes to get air con installed to our house upstairs, it’s a chalet style so rooms upstairs are in the roof space and get hot in the Summer.
My son’s room is the worst so we had bought him a portable unit which although noisy is quite effective. However our room was unbearable last year and as I’m approaching that time where ladies often overheat plus I think we’re going to be working from home a lot more going forwards so I think it may be worthwhile.
Ideally we’d want to have a unit with ducting into the bedrooms but that may not be possible but I have no idea on cost of any of them. Has anyone had it installed, are you pleased and if you’re happy to give a rough idea on costs that would be great
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We had some units installed in our house last year. Ideally I'd have liked the type that's installed in the loft hatch which would have cooled most of the centre of the house, but our loft beams didn't have a large enough gap between them so we were looking at silly money for that kind of work.

In the end we put units into each of the rooms we felt most needed them, although they are very powerful and will cool a large area outside of the rooms they're in also. Each has it's own unit outside, they're not the prettiest sight just to warn you.

DH didn't want the high up wall mounted units as felt they looked too 'officey' so we went for ones that sit low on the wall and look a little like radiators, they had to be on outside walls for the ducting to go through so that also was a little challenge when choosing locations as we didn't want them on the front of the house.

The units were £1250 each including fitting and we're delighted with them, the smaller high up wall mounted ones were around £900 each.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Thank you, that’s really helpful
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Lots of discussion on A/C in this thread
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ferrerid=68116
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

One small bedroom unit will be around £2k.
Thats the outside unit/inside and fitting.
Will also depend on the length of pipe run needed.
You'll need a qualified installer due to the gas etc
In a bedroom you should also consider a leak detection kit.

(This is what DH does for a living)

As an aside - you might have a wait... For the first time anyone in his company can remember his company are at full capacity for deliveries.

Ps - we love ours!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

What part of the UK you in?

I can recommend the people that installed in my old house in the North West of England, they were very good.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

If you are handy with DIY buy the split systems, install both parts and then get an AC engineer to connect the system up and gas it. We did that at our last house and saved quite a fair bit of money on install costs.

We are just planning out what AC units we want in our new house (we think 5 rooms!) and will do the same here.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

I use my a/c far more than my heating . It’s up there as an essential for any property I live in
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I posted on the other thread... large A/C Unit (Panasonic) installed in living room, Just under £900 last spring, qualified installers, outside wall, bungalow. Been brilliant. Installers recommended by neighbour.

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
I posted on the other thread... large A/C Unit (Panasonic) installed in living room, Just under £900 last spring, qualified installers, outside wall, bungalow. Been brilliant. Installers recommended by neighbour.
That's very cheap!
DH sells Panasonic. They're very busy at the moment!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List