Notices

Old 24 Apr 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Perfectly said Abby re the thought process... today I think yes but tomorrow could be no again depending on how scared I feel and what press I read.. I know that it could be a crazy idea and my mum who is due to come with us is very unlikely to now... it is a very strange and scary time and I feel silly for wanting this holiday so much but I need something to hope for and whilst that may end up making me feel even worse in a few months, when i have to accept I’m not going, for now I need to cling on and keep dreaming...
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I showed Nik the pictures of the Tiger Bread and he agrees it sounds like the best thing ever so we're going to do that this weekend!

I also told him about the Eating Around the World nights and he thinks it's a great idea and would love to start doing it.

We made Tuna Melts this week and our lives are forever changed, I did not know you could do them in a pan. We're going to do Grown-Up Grilled Cheese next week and a homemade Friendly's BBQ Melt. Is it any wonder I'm worried about my clothes not fitting!?

The weekly trip to Tesco tomorrow, which I do not enjoy. I just had a cheeky look to see if I could snag a delivery/click or collect slot tomorrow in the hope of a cancellation but no joy.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 20, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I really want that tiger bread and all of the cocktails...if only I had some in the house I would make it now!
It’s great to catch up on all the posts even though my contributions are rubbish at the minute.
I had a fleeting moment last week when I thought I should be more organised in case I need to sort out our fast passes...if only to give you a laugh when I send you a screenshot of my fabulous planning skills...then I woke up the next day and thought who am I kidding, I need to stop this whole will we/won’t we get there conversation with myself😩 I need to distract myself a bit more with Disney + but I’m too busy trying to get the girls to do some school work...and failing with that too. I think I should admit defeat and just binge watch something!
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
More Food!

So this pre trip seems to be turning into a food report, but since I love eating and taking photos of what I'm eating and we've already established I'm massively self indulgent when posting on my pre trip then it kind of feels right.

Meantime, it's been another rollercoaster in terms of the will-we, won't-we debate about the holiday. We're on an up and then a down within the same day. Yesterday I was feeling more confident about the trip this summer as it seems that other countries are starting to relax their restrictions, but only time will tell I guess.

Back to the food. Ok, I shared an advance photo of the hilarious churros. They did look silly didn't they?

First up though is a shepherds pie. Not quite sure now why I thought you'd want to see this, but it's the first photo in the folder for sharing, so here you are.

Plus here am I with a cider!

Kate and me made a chocolate swiss roll. This is half of what was left after our first pudding!

A cocktail to wash it down? Why not? This is an espresso martini that I couldn't be bothered to shake to get the crema layer so it's just mixed in the glass.

The next photos were not taken as I forgot true food report style. It was another BBQ you'll have to trust me that it was good. This was on Easter Saturday.

I did remember to take a photo of the drink though yes I know, it's typical. Cosmopoilan, yummy.

Next up Easter Sunday and Kate and me had hot cross buns for breakfast while watching a movie.

We made chocolate brownies as our Easter treat.

Moving on a couple of days and we're onto the Mexican meal. First of course is the photo of the churros before being baked (I found a recipe that didn't involve frying). As you can see shaping them wasn't easy

Here they are after being baked. Not too shabby! The kids were desperate to eat them, but I wouldn't let them.

Of course, if you're eating Mexican then you're drinking Margaritas.

We made salsa and guacamole.

Chicken fajita mix.

Mexican rice and beans.

It was a real treat.

Now for the final churro photo after they've been dusted with cinnamon and sugar.

Kate had convinced me we couldn't have churros without having chocolate sauce.

The next morning Kate had a brainwave and decided what we needed with the leftover chocolate sauce was waffles and ice cream. So, that's what we had for breakfast.

At some point after that we made chocolate chip cookies.

Then it was Friday night and I decided what we needed was Pizza and Prosecco. Kate and me found a recipe for non-yeast dough and made the pizza. They are bit of a funny shape, but again tasted goo.

Next was the French meal. This was another corker

Baked-camembert-tiger-bread-tear-and-share.

Slice the tiger bread top off. Dig out two holes for the camembert.

Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with garlic.

Chop the top of the bread and repeat oil and garlic.

Cook on high for about 15 minutes. Cheesey heaven

Main course was steak and frites.

Dessert was a chocolate and orange tart.

The drink for tonight was a martini.

Since the weekend we've had fairly boring meals. Nothing really photo worthy apart from yesterday's pudding which was a Key Lime Pie. Instead of making the pastry again though I chose to make a biscuit base the same as I would use for a cheesecake (the chocolate tart had a pastry base and I didn't fancy having to make pastry again).

It was a bit fiddly to serve though, as you can the portion on the left collapsed a bit!

It tasted good though.

So that brings us up to date. I'm back at work now, well working from home, so less time to plan and prepare meals. But I think my waistline is appreciative of that.

I hope everyone is keeping well,

Take care

x
All this food is making me so hungry!

The swiss roll looks amazing! I haven't made one of those since I was at school. I'm glad to see you are still keeping up with the cocktails

You really have been busy with all the cooking haven't you! Those pizza's look so yummy, do you mind sharing the no yeast recipe?

Hope your first week back at work wasn't too bad and hope you're all keeping well xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Perfectly said Abby re the thought process... today I think yes but tomorrow could be no again depending on how scared I feel and what press I read.. I know that it could be a crazy idea and my mum who is due to come with us is very unlikely to now... it is a very strange and scary time and I feel silly for wanting this holiday so much but I need something to hope for and whilst that may end up making me feel even worse in a few months, when i have to accept I’m not going, for now I need to cling on and keep dreaming...
Ah, that's sad about your mum. I know how I'd have felt last year if mum and dad had been forced to cancel. I spoke to my mum today and she said it's been so nice to remember the family holiday from last year. The last time the kids saw them was on Mothers Day when we all stood in the back garden as we were keeping 2m apart. Of course we've seen them on video calls, but it's not the same.

I agree as I also feel silly for wanting the holiday and you're right again in the long run it will possibly lead to more upset, but I'm going to keep on dreaming too, even though I often seem to have to dream with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I showed Nik the pictures of the Tiger Bread and he agrees it sounds like the best thing ever so we're going to do that this weekend!

I also told him about the Eating Around the World nights and he thinks it's a great idea and would love to start doing it.

We made Tuna Melts this week and our lives are forever changed, I did not know you could do them in a pan. We're going to do Grown-Up Grilled Cheese next week and a homemade Friendly's BBQ Melt. Is it any wonder I'm worried about my clothes not fitting!?

The weekly trip to Tesco tomorrow, which I do not enjoy. I just had a cheeky look to see if I could snag a delivery/click or collect slot tomorrow in the hope of a cancellation but no joy.
I just knew you'd like that camembert, I was so cross with myself last year that I forgot to take the photo. Kate loves a tuna melt, but I've never pan fried them. She also likes a tuna melt in a tortilla wrap, like a quesadilla. We fry them, so I can imagine how good your fried tuna melt is. I'll add it to the list

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
I really want that tiger bread and all of the cocktails...if only I had some in the house I would make it now!
It’s great to catch up on all the posts even though my contributions are rubbish at the minute.
I had a fleeting moment last week when I thought I should be more organised in case I need to sort out our fast passes...if only to give you a laugh when I send you a screenshot of my fabulous planning skills...then I woke up the next day and thought who am I kidding, I need to stop this whole will we/won’t we get there conversation with myself😩 I need to distract myself a bit more with Disney + but I’m too busy trying to get the girls to do some school work...and failing with that too. I think I should admit defeat and just binge watch something!
I'm drinking a Dark and Stormy right now. So cheers.

Don't you dare start planning FP! It's way too early for that, you need to wait until the day before to make it more realistic and then you can take a photo of a well thought out plan I know I'm still posting on here with hopes and dreams, but I know the reality is that they are just pipe dreams. I'm not really planning a holiday I've done nothing since February. If we do get to go then it will be based on the plan I put together for the ADRs. Which as you know is pretty comprehensive so it's not like we'll be flying by the seat of our pants. I'm so sad that our cocktails in the Caribbean will likely not go ahead what a shame. I just cant bring myself to say it's not going to happen and I like taking to everyone on here and I just can't read all the corona threads as that just makes me cry so I'm sticking with the pre trip as somewhere to come and talk.

Don't be too hard on yourself with the girls. It's been a struggle to get everyone dressed and showered by lunchtime in our house. Not. Even. Joking. Nevermind them doing actual work or in any way helping around the house. It never ceases to amaze me that I can get 30 year 10s to do what I want in a classroom without them answering back, or it turning into a shouting rant, without doors being slammed and huffiness for the rest of the day and that's just me but somehow getting Max and Kate to do anything at all is like getting flour in the supermarket at the moment , it's not happening any time soon. If you could see me at home you'd be wondering how the heck I manage to teach other people's children with any kind of success.

Seriously, I can't wait to go back to work so that I can be with people who actually do what they're told, usually without me having to ask more than once

If you want to binge, do you like musicals? If so then you should definitely watch Encore! Even if you dont like musicals but you like fly on the wall documentaries I'd say give it a go.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
All this food is making me so hungry!

The swiss roll looks amazing! I haven't made one of those since I was at school. I'm glad to see you are still keeping up with the cocktails

You really have been busy with all the cooking haven't you! Those pizza's look so yummy, do you mind sharing the no yeast recipe?

Hope your first week back at work wasn't too bad and hope you're all keeping well xx
The Swiss roll is good, you have to roll it as soon as it comes out the oven or it will not roll at all and just crack. I've learnt that from past mistakes. It's a pretty good day free thing to bake as there's no butter, well not in the cake, there is in the buttercream icing

The pizza dough turned out good, it's the first time I've made it. I've got a gas oven and its gas mark 6, I think that's 200 for an electric, but you might want to check.

Put 350g of plain flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1tbsp vegetable oil and 170ml water in a bowl and mix it up into a ball. I thought it would never make a ball, but it did, the recipe said to add a little more water if it doesn't make a ball. Knead for 3 to 4 minutes and then shape into your pizzas.
Add your toppings and bake on a baking sheet for 15 minutes. I did mine a little longer, but I'd put lots of tomato sauce on and the dough didn't look cooked as it still looked rubbery and not crispy. So I ended up cooking mine for about 20 minutes. I guess check after 15 minutes.

They were great to make. I think next time I'd maybe double it so that we could each have our own pizza and choose our own topping.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 07:55 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

You've been so busy in the kitchen Abby, and I have to say it all looks amazing. Especially the key lime pie and the chocolate swiss roll. I love all of the cocktails you're making at home as well. Oh, and the churros! They turned out great in the end, especially with the cinnamon and sugar on the top - they looked yummy

I hadn't heard of Encore - I'll have to look that up. I am watching Fairytale Weddings though - it's my guilty pleasure that I watch at lunchtimes when I'm home alone And I watched the first 2 episodes of The Imagineering Story weeks ago, but I'm finding it hard to get the time to get back to it. Now that there isn't sport on the TV over the weekend to keep DH occupied we're watching more things together which means that the programmes I like to watch by myself are falling by the wayside.

Colette - I hate going to Tesco too, it just stresses me out. Mainly because of the idiots who can't seem to follow the arrows on the floor showing them which way to go - it makes me furious and terrified all at the same time

Looking forward to your next foodie update Abby... and still hoping that you get to make more plans knowing that you'll get to carry them out.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Mobile

5lbs, I wish my weight gain was only 5lbs! Mark made homemade onion rings yesterday and I scoffed the lot so I think we can all see that it’s totally his fault 😉
He’s making me drink orange and passionfruit gin right now too, evil man! 😂

I totally understand your holiday rationale Abby - thank goodness your parents went last year so you’ve got those lovely memories. We’re thanking our lucky stars we got our first trip in before all this madness.

No sign of free dining for 2021...not hugely surprising as I guess they’re waiting until they know they’ll be open but I was so looking forward to booking again. I’m keeping up the holiday fund just in case it is still possible.

Hope you’re all enjoying the sunshine x
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
You've been so busy in the kitchen Abby, and I have to say it all looks amazing. Especially the key lime pie and the chocolate swiss roll. I love all of the cocktails you're making at home as well. Oh, and the churros! They turned out great in the end, especially with the cinnamon and sugar on the top - they looked yummy

I hadn't heard of Encore - I'll have to look that up. I am watching Fairytale Weddings though - it's my guilty pleasure that I watch at lunchtimes when I'm home alone And I watched the first 2 episodes of The Imagineering Story weeks ago, but I'm finding it hard to get the time to get back to it. Now that there isn't sport on the TV over the weekend to keep DH occupied we're watching more things together which means that the programmes I like to watch by myself are falling by the wayside.

Colette - I hate going to Tesco too, it just stresses me out. Mainly because of the idiots who can't seem to follow the arrows on the floor showing them which way to go - it makes me furious and terrified all at the same time

Looking forward to your next foodie update Abby... and still hoping that you get to make more plans knowing that you'll get to carry them out.
The cocktails have been enjoyed almost as much as the cooking, maybe more I'll do that key lime pie again I think maybe actually with a pastry base next time. The cheesecake base was fine for the first day but it went a bit mushy after being kept for 24 hours, I suppose the filling is a bit wetter than a normal cheesecake filling. Still, it was tasty, we just should have eaten it more quickly

I wonder when all the sport will get back to normal, I don't know how they can do team games and keep all the players 2m apart. It doesn't seem possible, but maybe they will find a way as it would be a lovely distraction for everyone stuck at home to be able to watch a bit of sport and feel a little bit more normal. Then you'd get a chance to watch Encore! It's win win.

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
5lbs, I wish my weight gain was only 5lbs! Mark made homemade onion rings yesterday and I scoffed the lot so I think we can all see that it’s totally his fault 😉
He’s making me drink orange and passionfruit gin right now too, evil man! 😂

I totally understand your holiday rationale Abby - thank goodness your parents went last year so you’ve got those lovely memories. We’re thanking our lucky stars we got our first trip in before all this madness.

No sign of free dining for 2021...not hugely surprising as I guess they’re waiting until they know they’ll be open but I was so looking forward to booking again. I’m keeping up the holiday fund just in case it is still possible.

Hope you’re all enjoying the sunshine x
Homemade onion rings sound delicious. Oh and he's making you drink gin. For goodness sake. What's wrong with this man? He's a monster

I think you're absolutely right I don't suppose there will be an announcement about free dining until there is more certainty around parks being open. I'm waiting same as you for the launch, it would be very well received in this house!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

The onion rings looked amazing! I did consider making some myself and then I thought of the mess and changed my mind.

We don't have any scales in the house so I don't know how much weight I've put on (that's a good thing) but I am definitely wobblier than before haha.

I think the issue with sport isn't only the players social distancing it's that they need to have medical personnel on hand in case of any injuries and there are concerns that they NHS doesn't need to be dealing with this. I am missing football though and it will be strange to have no Euros.

Lynda - it really makes me mad that people can't follow the arrows in Tesco, and the people not complying aren't the ones you'd expect either.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Hel22
Trainee Dibber

Abby
Thank you, thank you for keeping up with your pre trippie. Reading along offers me a slice of normality and positivity in this current situation. I have always enjoyed following your families adventures and am loving your eating around the world. Please keep posting, I can't thank you enough for the impact it has
Take care
Hx

Polynesian 2016
Beach Club and Royal Pacific 2019
Hel22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List