Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 May 20, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Summer in Florida 2022

Hey. We are spending the whole of August in Florida in 2022. Villa is booked. We've never done this before and never been in August. Has anyone else dont it? I understand flights are crazy prices but I'm hoping to get it a little cheaper as we want to fly into Miami. Question is car. We always manage to get the wrong car and always squashed. We want a 7 seater now as we have 3 kids and just want some room with us travelling around etc. Where is the best place to get one and how much am I looking at roughly? If it costs as much as the flights I may have to rethink!
We will Disney the last 2 weeks as I was told it's not as busy. Hoping to fly out July 30th stay in Miami for 2 nights ( we love it there as we got married there) then fly home 3rd Sep. A hotel 31st to the 3rd, was thinking Disney if I can get a cheapish price. This all seems simple in my head but as I'm writing it I'm getting all flustered ha x
Old 8 May 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

Mobile

I would strongly recommend Andy at discount Florida car hire there's a link in the car hire thread. He give the best service ever
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
I would strongly recommend Andy at discount Florida car hire there's a link in the car hire thread. He give the best service ever
Amazing thank you so much. I can't see link, am I being thick? X

Edit. Being thick and read it wrong haha x
Old 8 May 20, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

I second Discount Florida Car Hire, you can't go wrong there! The prices are always good, and if you keep checking it and find it's gone down in price closer to your dates, he'll refund you the difference!

August is very very hot in Florida. What usually works best is get up early, get to the parks for opening, and leave again for an afternoon pool break around or just after 12. And then go back into the parks for the evening if you fancy. If your villa is too far away to leave and come back, plan a lengthy break in the air conditioning somewhere around 12-3PM, maybe a sit-down meal combined with FP for a show or something. That helps get you out of the heat - heat makes the day a lot more tiring than it'd be on a cooler day, don't underestimate that!

Is there 5 in total in your party then? Several of the Disney hotels do sleep 5 in one room, including Port Orleans Riverside, the AoA suites and All Stars suites, etc.
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by nothingless View Post
I second Discount Florida Car Hire, you can't go wrong there! The prices are always good, and if you keep checking it and find it's gone down in price closer to your dates, he'll refund you the difference!

August is very very hot in Florida. What usually works best is get up early, get to the parks for opening, and leave again for an afternoon pool break around or just after 12. And then go back into the parks for the evening if you fancy. If your villa is too far away to leave and come back, plan a lengthy break in the air conditioning somewhere around 12-3PM, maybe a sit-down meal combined with FP for a show or something. That helps get you out of the heat - heat makes the day a lot more tiring than it'd be on a cooler day, don't underestimate that!

Is there 5 in total in your party then? Several of the Disney hotels do sleep 5 in one room, including Port Orleans Riverside, the AoA suites and All Stars suites, etc.
Defo going to check that out then. We are staying close to Disney so can defo go back for a mid day break. I couldn't handle september heat so I will defo be having long breaks haha.
Yes 5 of us. I was thinking of the Disney hotel last few days of the holiday.is that an ok idea you think? Regarding universal we stay in a hotel for a night to get free passes. Are the express lines just as busy in August? Or are they 100% needed? X
Old 8 May 20, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
AmyBrewer
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Car wise I’d recommend a dodge caravan (they are a seven seater) we went as a 5 in 2018 and this was just a perfect size. We fitted luggage in easily (5 cases!) plus the 5 of us. Then for day to day travel plenty of space to stretch out...👍🏻
AmyBrewer is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Hi 🤗. We are planning August 2022 also, I would love to drive but we never have and am so nervous! Know it would give us so much freedom tho. Am jealous of whole month! 16 nights will be our trip.
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Andy for car hire is a must. Edited as meant to say we had the Dodge Caravan also which was perfect
We did Miami and the keys with the kids last summer and it was amazing. Ended up flying in and out of Orlando as price was excellent. Stayed 1 night in I Drive and drove to Miami next day.
we stayed in the Hotel Marseilles which was lovely, access to beach and a short walk from most things. We loved the bus tour and the duck tour. a walk down Ocean Drive for a drink and some food was also amazing. If we went back I would love to do the science Museum.

We did 6 days in the Keys Stayed in Marathon
If we went again I would be braver and stay in a few places on the Keys., It is incredible. The Marker in Key west was amazing for the kids to see as well as the Turtle Hospital and Isla Moralda we went to Robbies to feed the tarpon. We also did some beach time and snorkelling in John Pennekamp park.
Then we headed to Orlando for 16 nights in a villa. Didnt make it as far as Disney in the end but we did Sw, AQ, and amazing Busch Gardens as well as Discovery Cove and another amazing day in Kennedy Space center.
We had a few relaxing days and felt we really got the use and value from the villa this time which was just what I needed after finishing a masters the week before we went.
It was truely the best of both worlds and a great holiday and we are planning a 4 or 5 week trip prob in 2022
We still have 4 days left on non exp Disney passes from 2008 and havent managed to use them up the last 3 visits but we will one day !

next time we will do Universal and prob a night or 2 on site for FOL passes.
and maybe venture to cape Coral / Fort Myers for a week or so and do some fishing
Old 8 May 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Amazing. We were going stay in Miami for a couple nights then head to the keys ( never been ) so really want to. Have no idea where to even look tho , I'm ok with staying in budget places. I had a look at car and it was coming up as £2000 for a car for the 5 weeks , I dunno what I was expecting but I was shocked ha. My mum had a dodge last year and it was so much better then our tiny one. No idea how we managed it to be honest ha. I hope flights don't bankrupt us , I've never had to pay peak prices so I'm nervous! X
Old 8 May 20, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We paid about 650 for 23 days.
Great thing is if you book with Andy the keep checking prices and he will allow you cancel.and region at the better rate.

We stayed in the Hyatt in marathon it was very reasonable and good pool for the kids.
Would like 2 nights in KW next time and maybe upper keys also