Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 May 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Christmas in WDW. Do,s/Don'ts & tips

I've never been to orlando at xmas but rather than lose the money on my flights (if it comes to that), I can re-book and am looking at a PLAN B of going in December.

SO IN A NORMAL YEAR-whats it like then?
weather
humidity
When does it start to get dark?
crowds
Are the parks open?
Xmas Day? where to eat, what to do?
we will be onsite with no car.
Anything I should defo book or see?
Anything I should absolutely avoid?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I've never been to orlando at xmas but rather than lose the money on my flights (if it comes to that), I can re-book and am looking at a PLAN B of going in December.

weather unpredictable usually slightly cooler in day can be cold at night
humidity lower than summer
When does it start to get dark? early evening
crowds 10/10 parks can reach max capacity early in day
Are the parks open? Yes
Xmas Day? where to eat, what to do? anywhere you fancy but make an adr as soon as you can
Anything I should defo book or see? Xmas parade, Xmas Fireworks
Anything I should absolutely avoid? Being late to the parks

It's mad busy but the atmosphere is great!

Edited at 09:53 PM.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post

weather unpredictable usually slightly cooler in day can be cold at night
humidity lower than summer
When does it start to get dark? early evening
crowds 10/10 parks can reach max capacity early in day
Are the parks open? Yes
Xmas Day? where to eat, what to do? anywhere you fancy but make an adr as soon as you can
Anything I should defo book or see? Xmas parade, Xmas Fireworks
Anything I should absolutely avoid? Being late to the parks

It's mad busy but the atmosphere is great!

Thanks a million.
I think we may just do it!
I was going to do a 'just in case' booking at my DVC home resort a few days ago,but there was loads of availability and I stupidly left it.Only to realise i'm now at the 7mnth booking date and now its costing me more points and difficult to get rooms!

Always something

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida White
Excited about Disney

Mobile

It’s heaving usually very festive but manageable with your fast pass to hand. I would say be at the parks before opening and at rope drop you will get a couple of hours before it gets rammed then start your fast passes. The parks are open longer though and apart from New Year’s Eve do quieten down the last couple of hours. The weather is pleasant through the day anything from 17c to 24c but it does drop on a night so have fleeces ready it goes dark before 5pm and the temperature drops really quick.
I would say humidity is zero it’s really pleasant like early May over here and you won’t get the thunderstorms or afternoon heavy rain showers you get in the summer.
As said parks are 10 every day nearly it will probably ramp up around Sat 19th this year. Parks will prob reach capacity on the main holiday days with the exception of Epcot but it frees up in the late afternoon.
We sat on the terrace at rose and crown in Epcot in 26c when we went and had a Sunday lunch was lovely overlooking the lake in bright sunshine with blue skies.
As you are onsite use the extra magic hours to your full advantage it will make a huge difference. Just book a few meals and enjoy the atmosphere there’s nowhere like it just go knowing what to expect. Again as said don’t be turning up at the parks at 10am, fast passes will be for late afternoon early evening, lines will be 60 min for the lesser attractions and around 200 min for seven dwarves and attractions in Pandora, toy story etc.
You will have a great time though.
Florida White is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dcmax
Imagineer

My only tips (at one point we used to only go at christmas) - is book everything in advance and stay onsite and have a plan - (if your onsite and are trying to do your 60 day FPs dont waste any time - go to the last day first and work backwards - all the early dates for major rides will be gone on your first days because anyone staying for the week before your first day got to them first)- set the alarm for 6.00am (or 5 am if its EE) and just enjoy every single minute... You can sleep when you get home..

If your there for NY -- Just go with the flow... but Epcots the place to be - they often place some of the best Miami DJs into the WS...

It can be cool especially early (and you will need to be up early early early ) and when the sun sets) and cool can mean cold...

ADRs can be gone on day one they were available to book (Go for more unusual -(Japan etc) Americans do seem to be very conservative when it comes to food)- dont waste a minute booking them

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Trip Reports

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Restaurant Reports

July 91 WDW...July 92 DL CA...July 93 DL CA...Feb 97 DLP...Feb 02 DLP...Xmas 03 DLP...Xmas 04 WDW...Oct 05 WDW...Xmas 05 DL CA...March 06 DLP ...Nov 06 WDW... Xmas 06 DLP... Apr 07 WDW... Nov 07 DL CA ...Dec/Jan 07/08 DLP... Mar 08 WDW.. Jun 08 DLP.. Mar 09 DL HK

Edited at 09:20 PM.
dcmax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Our first trip was the first two weeks of December, in 2010.

It was utterly freezing with ice on the bushes and minus 2 temperatures some days. We wore thick winter coats almost every day. Water parks were closed and all the rides in Seaworld closed.

Gatwick was closed due to snow for a week before we flew, and during our holiday also. We had a five hour delay going out and a six hour delay coming home.

And you know what? We had the time of our lives, and I'd do it again. The parks were really quiet due to the weather, everything was a walk on. We never had to stop because of needing a rest, we got so much done. We absolutely loved it!

MVMCP was incredibly crowded and scary at some points - I got trapped near the castle for the fireworks, and afterwards no-one could move, people were screaming because they were scared of their kids being stepped on, and someone even tried to punch me. But it was just as crowded the other times we've been, we just learned where to go to avoid the crowds.

Obviously most years are not like that weather wise! But I absolutely loved all the Christmas theming.

Our following trip was early November so we still got all the Christmas stuff.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Tracydcp
Imagineer

We are thinking of going next December. Originally going this August but all cancelled. So choice is either August 2022 or December 2021. The college DS is wanting to go to finishes around 10th December so would go on 11th till just after Christmas. We’ve only ever been in May and October so not really sure what to expect. We’d be doing Universal and Disney but worried that the latter part of the holiday is going to be too busy, we stay offsite so would only have fast passes at 30 days and no emh.

Edited at 08:40 AM.
Tracydcp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We love Christmas at Disney, we go every other year. Its mad busy during the two peak weeks at Christmas but its a great atmosphere. Its also perfect weather for us, don't do humidity at all .
The theming , atmosphere, all of it is brilliant.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Oh My Gosh thank you so much for the information.

I really like the sound of this.Going in December might give me the 'lift' I need.!

I have now managed to book saratoga for a few nights (which i might change) and my home dvc resort for 10 nights, giving me a 14 day trip in December.

It will mean moving rooms a few times as I was too late to get exactly what i wanted but not too bad.

I just need to sort out flights. Waiting to see if i can get a refund or voucher from Aer lingus if my july flights cancelled.

Next problem is getting tix for 2020 as they are no longer for sale on disney website! They've been 'pulled' whilst they sort out bookings and capacity for the july opening!

I may have to get them from another supplier. Checking now again.

Many Thanks to you all.