Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 May 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
It's a good thing you're not me then.
We all have different ways of spending our holidays and yes we have been lucky enough to have been around 36 times - might have been 40 had we not been forced to cancel twice in 2009 for my cancer and twice in 2016 for Joan's cancer. Had life taken a different 50/50 turn (my chances of coming through 11 hours in theatre) 2008 could easily have been our last visit. So we both celebrate every new day.

So yes I have also been fortunate enough to have driven over 50,000 miles exploring the Sunshine state.

But holiday choices aren't a competition are they - thankfully.

Back to the title of the thread I think.

Mick

Edited at 08:45 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
We all have different ways of spending our holidays and yes we have been lucky enough to have been around 36 times - might have been 40 had we not been forced to cancel twice in 2009 for my cancer and twice in 2016 for Joan's cancer. Had life taken a different 50/50 turn 2008 could easily have been our last visit. So we both celebrate every new day.

So yes I have also been fortunate enough to have driven over 50,000 miles exploring the Sunshine state.

But holiday choices aren't a competition are they - thankfully.

Mick
In my case driving isn't an option for health reasons, it's not a choice for me.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

We have now given up on a Disney trip, we’d pretty much decided this before the DDP debacle anyway.

But, I’d been pricing up adding onto our days we had booked at HRH or moving to a different onsite hotel and a I drive hotel for a few nights to go to Discovery cove/seaworld and aquatica beforehand so will do that instead.

We have a few more weeks to decide and IF we choose to go (obvs when FCO and boarders open) we will actually save ££££‘s on our trip! So it’s all good again for now. 😃

We will also wait and see if Disney offer something worth having to move our dates to another time.

Kat

Edited at 08:58 AM.
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Firsttimer2017
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
We have just booked a week at Universal in Portofino rather than the full Disney holiday. (Full refund up to 24hrs in advance if you book at the moment) Not done universal for 4 years so really looking forward to that now. 😊.

Who did you book through?
2022 - Planning our return trip
Firsttimer2017 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
beeftinkler
Very Serious Dibber

If Disney limit capacity won't the spill-off head straight to Universal (who don't seem to be overly bothered about it)? Am I missing something?
beeftinkler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Providing we get a similar discount from Disney we are back on the hype train! (To be honest I think we would still go anyway!)

Obviously the changes are disappointed but we've experienced them all before so can cope. However I'm a little sad we won't get to see that new Epcot evening show - that looked like it would be great - oh well! Next time!

We usually go and explore things beyond Disney anyway so this trip will be no different - Mick - what's your favourite thing to do whilst you are in the area?

DCL - 19,21,21,22,23,23
penguin19 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

We are staying in a Villa have 14 day Disney passes, and 3 day Universal staying in Royal Pacific for 1 night. If Disney doesn’t work for us we will get a refund. We can use the money to go lots of other attractions. Haven’t been to lots of other attractions in past due to lack of time. This could be our chance to find other interesting and enjoyable activities.
Old 30 May 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Remember there are some great day trips you can go on, in fact I’ve had some of my best ‘WDW’ days going on day trips.

Anna Maria Island, the Tampa River Walk, St Augustine etc can all be done as day trips and there are hundreds of places closer worth visiting if you have a car.
Do you have a top 10? The daughter coming with us is not a universal fan so I need to persuade her with other things to do! Definitely want to do KSC though
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Firekat View Post
Well I think there is still reason to be positive - by waiting it out it looks like we will have a better deal rescheduling to next year.
Worked out same holiday next year with Disney paying for a dining plan with the 35% discount would be £600 cheaper, no gift card but even taking that into consideration we'd still be up £400. Might get eaten up in flight increases, but we'll see.
Would probably hold off with the dining plan for now when I reschedule and see what happens probably add it nearer to the time.

Looks like the time I booked off work this August will be spent doing up the garden, getting inspired by Charlie Dimmock on that garden programme. Some decking down the bottome so we can sit out and have bbqs and a new shed.
I agree, I think the positivity can extend to any kind of positivity about your holiday. My worst case holiday scenario (short of contracting covid while there) is that we lose a lot of money on a holiday that doesn’t happen. If I can find any way to avoid that, then I’m happy - if we can go for a reduced price (by changing our plans), or not go and get our money back for a future holiday, then either will be a positive outcome for me.

Out of curiosity, did it work out better value with 35% off the room rate only? Or are you hoping they’ll extend it to 35% off the entire booking inc DDP etc? I wasn’t sure ours would work out better with the discount only applied to the room rate, but I’ll have a look at it today. I know it probably won’t get rolled out to the UK anyway, but no harm in checking and hoping!
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by beeftinkler View Post
If Disney limit capacity won't the spill-off head straight to Universal (who don't seem to be overly bothered about it)? Am I missing something?
Not necessarily. A lot of people have said they're cancelling their trips altogether. The only reason I'm not considering doing that is because I don't want to lose the money I've paid for flights.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List