Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Mar 20, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
wendy7654
VIP Dibber

Mobile University applicant days

Hi, DD has an applicant day at Manchester Met next Saturday, do parents normally go or is this something DD should go to on her own?
Just asking to see if anyone else has been or not been to one?
Thanks

Windwood Bay 2008/2009
DIBB Villa - Sandy Ridge 2010
Sandy Ridge Villa-2013
DIBB Villa - Westhaven July 2018

Hotel Elysee Val De Europe May 2015
Seqouia Lodge DLP Xmas/New Year 2015
Seqouia Lodge GF Xmas/New Year 2016
Sequoia Lodge GF Xmas/New Year 2017
Sequoia lodge May 2019- August 2022- Hopefully
wendy7654 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

My daughter did the applicant days on her own, 1 was midweek and I couldn’t have gone, the one on a Saturday I drove her over to Sheffield and I went shopping and picked her up when she had finished
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

I went with DD for her interview/ applicant day at Lancaster. Not sure if it’s the same thing. I had a lovely time. They provided refreshments on arrival, then a tour of the subject building with a talk about why Lancaster. Then students and parents were split when it was interview time. We were given various talks about the Uni. They also provided a lovely lunch. This was all communicated in advance as they could take 1 person.
She has an offer holder day for Durham in March but it’s not clear if a parent can go to that. I don’t think so. So I will probably just roam town/ coffee shops.
We live in Kent, so it’s hours away for each UNI.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We went to Warwick offer holder day yesterday. I attended with my dd. There were lectures that both of us attended and a separate parents panel and student workshop. I will be attending her two other offer holder days also. It was nice for me to learn more about the course and uni she maybe attending and my dd was pleased to have me with her. However there were one or two children on their own so I guess it’s what suits you best.
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
I went with DD for her interview/ applicant day at Lancaster. Not sure if it’s the same thing. I had a lovely time. They provided refreshments on arrival, then a tour of the subject building with a talk about why Lancaster. Then students and parents were split when it was interview time. We were given various talks about the Uni. They also provided a lovely lunch. This was all communicated in advance as they could take 1 person.
She has an offer holder day for Durham in March but it’s not clear if a parent can go to that. I don’t think so. So I will probably just roam town/ coffee shops.
We live in Kent, so it’s hours away for each UNI.
All of those my daughter went to had something for parents, although not everyone had parents with them. Some did more stuff for parents than others but we usually enjoyed the day and DD enjoyed reflecting on it with us afterwards.

Tinytots - Is is physics your daughter is applying for at Durham? When DD went to the applicant days for physics there, there was a talk about the course and the department that parents could go to and we had a tour around her college. We stayed over in Durham and explored the city while DD stayed over in her college and did all the activities.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I went to DD’s applicant day in Sheffield, most people had a parent or friend with them, only a couple were by themselves. We split off to have a parents question time and it was really useful. If you are able to go then I would as you can chat then about what you have both seen and you will probably remember more than your dd due to nerves and excitement.

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter went to 2 applicant days and they both had things for students and parents.

Lincoln (where she chose to go) had a really good parents session where we spoken to by the Head of English about the course, the expectations of the students and what we can expect from the university. He also put our minds at rest about student wellbeing and how they contact the student if they fail to turn up for lectures consistently (to check there is nothing wrong and to ask if they need help) and that they would also contact us if they felt the need and that we could contact the university if we had worried. This was quite reassuring as I know that some universities will not involve parents, so this was a good opportunity to find out how the university works.

I answer to your question, if your child is happy for you to join them, I would.

If there is nothing going on for parents, it is a good opportunity for you look around the campus or city if it is close by.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
All of those my daughter went to had something for parents, although not everyone had parents with them. Some did more stuff for parents than others but we usually enjoyed the day and DD enjoyed reflecting on it with us afterwards.

Tinytots - Is is physics your daughter is applying for at Durham? When DD went to the applicant days for physics there, there was a talk about the course and the department that parents could go to and we had a tour around her college. We stayed over in Durham and explored the city while DD stayed over in her college and did all the activities.
Yes, its Physics. Perfect thank you
Old 1 Mar 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

As others have said, most universities have talks for parents and separate talks and workshops for applicants. I went with our DD to her chosen university, Bristol. We found the applicant day to be far more informative and interesting than the open day. There were less people there, so we had more chance to speak to tutors and students. As the applicant day talks were specific to her course, we also found out a lot about the course as in how many teaching hours per week, how the course was structured and what modules she would study.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Air Hercs
Helping Mickey

Mobile

I went to my daughter's ones at Sheffield and Southampton, I was happy to park myself in the coffee shop when not needed and there were also parent specific talks about student finance etc going on. She had a scholarship interview at Southampton which she went into on her own obviously but it was handy to look round so could help when it came to closing which halls to put as her preference etc.
Air Hercs is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List