Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 May 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
chewee
Very Serious Dibber

emergency tax

Tried to phone,chat on line and change details online but get cut of on phone because they are too busy no one answering online because they are too busy and tried to change detail 3 times but just keeps going back to original emergency tax code.Getting very stressed because although i have enough to cover bills, I have very little to live off.Old employer said they dont send out P45 and new employer says I have to contact HRMC myself.Any advice appreciated.
Old 21 May 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Why haven’t you got a P45? The former employer is legally obliged to provide it.

What tax code are you on?

Have you tried the online route?

gov.uk/tax-codes/updating-tax-code

Edited at 03:20 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chewee View Post
Tried to phone,chat on line and change details online but get cut of on phone because they are too busy no one answering online because they are too busy and tried to change detail 3 times but just keeps going back to original emergency tax code.Getting very stressed because although i have enough to cover bills, I have very little to live off.Old employer said they dont send out P45 and new employer says I have to contact HRMC myself.Any advice appreciated.
On the P45 - as I understand it the old employer is required to send this. You then send one part of this to your new employer to sort your tax code. I am not sure how anyone else but the employer can send the P45.

I certainly got a P45 last year directly from my employer within a couple of weeks of leaving.

Edited at 03:17 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Have you looked on the gov.verify site, you can access your tax account on there. I have two part time jobs, one of them was council taken over by a leisure firm. They must have contacted the tax people to say I had left work and started with them, next thing I knew my other job had taken half my months salary in tax as all my tax code had gone to the leisure centre job. As it was the end of the tax year I had to wait for a refund to be sorted rather than just request my tax code be altered to get a refund on my salary. I knew all this by looking at my tax record online.they do let you remove/add employers information. P45s can be sent electronically without the employee having a copy. It’s happened to both myself and my son in the past.

Edited at 04:12 PM.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bartswife View Post
Have you looked on the gov.verify site, you can access your tax account on there. I have two part time jobs, one of them was council taken over by a leisure firm. They must have contacted the tax people to say I had left work and started with them, next thing I knew my other job had taken half my months salary in tax as all my tax code had gone to the leisure centre job. As it was the end of the tax year I had to wait for a refund to be sorted rather than just request my tax code be altered to get a refund on my salary. I knew all this by looking at my tax record online.they do let you remove/add employers information. P45s can be sent electronically without the employee having a copy. It’s happened to both myself and my son in the past.
I do wonder if OPs account will show that they have two jobs so they are on a BR code rather than an emergency code.

At this stage of the tax year, an emergency tax code should make very little difference to take home pay.
Old 21 May 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Go on live chat from 9pm, there is a wait but you stand a better chance

I did this as they had me on Basic Rate from the start of the new financial year for some crazy reason, despite me being in my current job since last September
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Bartswife View Post
They had me down for a estimated 56k, which is legally impossible 😂
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
chewee
Very Serious Dibber

No it wouldn’t be possible for me but you could chase it up yourself on gov.uk -- this is an email from previous employer. Just looked again and tax code is sd1 which is not emergency tax but tax being charged at 41% i have tried to change my earnings 3 times with them but just goes back to what they have on there.
Old 22 May 20, 05:16 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by chewee View Post
No it wouldn’t be possible for me but you could chase it up yourself on gov.uk -- this is an email from previous employer. Just looked again and tax code is sd1 which is not emergency tax but tax being charged at 41% i have tried to change my earnings 3 times with them but just goes back to what they have on there.
So you are in Scotland and have been put on a higher tax code. Your account possibly shows that you have two jobs, as there is no other reason why someone would have a tax code like that. You need to remove one of the employers.
Old 3 Jun 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
chewee
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for advise on this it is now sorted managed to get in touch with them I was paying 41% because the thought I still had another job.