Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 6 May 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
julie b
Imagineer

Where to stop...

We are now hopefully driving from Miami airport to southern dunes...
My parents are both 75 so we are looking for a couple of stops along the way possibly with something to see or do for an hour or two...any help appreciated..
julie b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

I assume you will be going on the US27. Nice chilled route and a few recreation park rest kind of areas you can stop at but not a great deal to do really bar stretch your legs and have a little walk. You need to be mindful though that you will have your suitcases etc in the car so could potentially be a target if left alone.

Lake Wales is nice to stop off at.

En route, about half way(ish!), there is Gatorama (gatorama). Never been ourselves but passed it a few times whilst travelling up and down from MIA & FLL.

There's a few little towns you go through where you can stop for food also.
When you first leave Miami there's nothing much but long straight roads and the odd small town but as you get nearer to Disney things start getting more and more busy with built up much bigger towns.

We normally book a cheap motel not far from the airport on the way towards the US27 near a supermarket just in case of any delays and can also re-energise. Wake up in the morning early and fresh then on our way rather than a very tired possibly dark drive after a long day flying.

Edited at 10:47 AM.
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
julie b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Simon & Suzann View Post
I assume you will be going on the US27. Nice chilled route and a few recreation park rest kind of areas you can stop at but not a great deal to do really bar stretch your legs and have a little walk. You need to be mindful though that you will have your suitcases etc in the car so could potentially be a target if left alone.

Lake Wales is nice to stop off at.

En route, about half way(ish!), there is Gatorama (gatorama). Never been ourselves but passed it a few times whilst travelling up and down from MIA & FLL.

There's a few little towns you go through where you can stop for food also.
When you first leave Miami there's nothing much but long straight roads and the odd small town but as you get nearer to Disney things start getting more and more busy with built up much bigger towns.

We normally book a cheap motel not far from the airport on the way towards the US27 near a supermarket just in case of any delays and can also re-energise. Wake up in the morning early and fresh then on our way rather than a very tired possibly dark drive after a long day flying.
Hi thanks for your reply..
We had a cruise booked and was staying a few nights in Miami..but as cruise cancelled and situation we thought it better now to just head to the dibb villa we have booked.(safety first and all that)as Miami seems to be bad re covid19...and parents age..
So we’re flying into Miami I’ve booked a night at a hotel at the airport then picking up the car and heading to southern dunes..
julie b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I would go up the Florida Turnpike and stop at the Fort Lucie/Fort Pierce service for a break. I would then continue up the Turnpike and leave it at Yeehaw Junction travelling across country to pick up Highway 27 at Lake Wales. Its just a steady drive after that with plenty of places to get a snack.
Old 7 May 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
julie b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
I would go up the Florida Turnpike and stop at the Fort Lucie/Fort Pierce service for a break. I would then continue up the Turnpike and leave it at Yeehaw Junction travelling across country to pick up Highway 27 at Lake Wales. Its just a steady drive after that with plenty of places to get a snack.
Thanks for reply will have a look at this route..
Old 8 May 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
For future reference for possible Miami flights, what's at the Fort?
I love seeing new areas esp historic ones.
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We usually drive up the Turnpike, and stop at Vero Beach, go for brunch at Muligans Beach House, right on the beach and is such a beautiful setting, marks the start of the holiday for us.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Simon & Suzann View Post
For future reference for possible Miami flights, what's at the Fort?
I love seeing new areas esp historic ones.
Its purely a motorway service area. If you use highway 1 which is the coast road there is the US Navy Seal Museum at Fort Pierce, I've been meaning to go for years but something else always crops up.
Old 14 May 20, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We drove up on Boxing Day with a stopover at Jupiter for the night. Lovely place, beautiful beach and pier which was lovely for a stroll
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

We drove up the US27 (after staying the night at Doral, near the airport) and stopped at Clewiston for coffee and later at Sebring. Sebring was very pretty and we went to a lovely cafe on Sebring Circle.
We liked the 27 as it's quieter - not so many trucks - and more interesting, so you can stop whenever you want to.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List