Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 31 Mar 17, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Ooh, hope you're having a brilliant time out there. Can't wait for the next update.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Looks like a fab start! Hope you have a fab time & I can't wait to read more! Enjoy!

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
ooh fab, lovely to put a face to the dining expert! Can't wait for more.
Old 31 Mar 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mojo.121
Excited about Disney

Good start really looking forward to this. Have a wonderful time
mojo.121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Day 1 - Be Our Guest and Wolfgang Puck Express

Thank you for all the lovely comments

I didn't have time to write up day 1 yesterday, but having a bit of quiet time now, so a good chance to catch up. We had breakfast and lunch at Be Our Guest and then dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express. We used 12 QS credits, but have a few oop TS meals planned, so it's not a problem

I pre-ordered breakfast at Be Our Guest and we chose:
Me - Open-Faced Bacon and Egg Sandwich: Poached Eggs, Applewood Bacon, Brie Cheese, and Arugula on a Croissant served with Fresh Fruit and a selection of pastries.
Andy - Croque Madame: Open-faced Ham Sandwich topped with a Fried Egg, Gruyere Cheese, and Béchamel served with Fresh Fruit and a selection of pastries.
Izzy - French Toast Brioche: Bread served with Fresh Fruit and a selection of pastries.
Brodie - Feast A La Gaston: Scrambled Eggs, Herb-Roasted Potatoes, Apple Smoked Bacon, and Sausage served with Fresh Fruit and a selection of pastries.

The only thing that Izzy really fancied was the French toast brioche from the kids menu, but when she had this last year the portion was tiny (1 slice of brioche cut in half), so my plan was to ask if we could get an adult portion as she's 15 and on the adult plan. If they said no, then I was just going to use an extra credit and order another meal for her. Fortunately the CM was very helpful and sorted an adult sized portion out for her (2 slices of brioche cut in half), which along with a couple of pastries was fine for breakfast.

I had the egg and bacon sandwich last year, but it was on half a baguette then and too much for me. They've changed it and it's now on a croissant, which I personally found much better. One thing I do wish though, is that they'd allow you to opt out of the fruit as it's predominantly melon and so much must get thrown away. If you're reading, Gopherlass, we did have 11 grapes between the 4 of us

I know people often report getting cold food, but I'm pleased to say that we all received warm/hot food (varied depending on the meal). We all really enjoyed our breakfast here and it's great value on the dining plan, but no way would I pay oop for it. For not much more you can eat at Crystal Palace.

Lunch was also at Be Our Guest. We really enjoy lunch there and like not having to worry about QS queues at lunchtime. We pre-ordered:
Me - Potato and leek soup (using a snack credit)
Andy - Braised Pork (Coq Au Vin Style): Eight Hour Slow-cooked Pork with Mushrooms, Onions, Carrots and Bacon served with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans Jardiniere.
Izzy - Grilled Shrimp: Grilled Shrimp with Broccoli and pommes frites (from the kids menu). The photo shows 2 lots of shrimp in the bowl, but just 1 lot of broccoli and fries, just in case people were wondering about portion size.
Brodie - Carved Turkey Sandwich: Carved Turkey Sandwich served warm on a Baguette with Dijon Mayonnaise and Pommes Frites. (minus the Dijon mayonnaise).
Apologies for all the capitals, but I'm copying and pasting from the disney website.

Izzy normally has the beef baguette, but loves shrimp, so when I saw this on the kids menu I decided to order that for her instead. Again, I asked if she could get an adult portion, but this CM said no So, I just ordered her an extra kids meal to ensure she had a decent sized meal. I knew we'd have plenty of food even though we'd only really ordered 3 meals and a snack. I wanted to try the braised pork but am funny about things that have bacon cooked in them. I love a bacon sandwich, but am not a fan of it in cooking, so wasn't sure if it would be too much for me. So, the plan was to share this with Andy, who would also eat Brodie's fries (he doesn't eat potato at all), and I also had the soup. Well, the braised pork was delicious and I could quite happily have eaten it myself, but I was good and shared Everything else was lovely and quickly devoured. They even managed to cook the broccoli so that you could bite in to it without breaking a tooth, which is what we normally find with broccoli at Disney.

Dinner was at Wolfgang Puck Express which is a dibb QS favourite, and definitely one of ours. We ordered:
Me - Rigatoni Bolognese with Broccolini and Herbed Ricotta
Andy - Pepperoni Pomodoro pizza with Carmalized Onions, Basil and Parmesan
Izzy - Half Rotisserie Chicken with Garlic Butter, Rosemary and Mashed Potatoes which we swapped for fries
Brodie - Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs in a tomato sauce with Torn Basil and Parmesan

This was all delicious and I like the addition of the broccolini to my meal as it's a bit of veg, which I find can be lacking at Disney restaurants. I'm glad we have the dining plan though as with 4 drinks, this Neal would have cost $82. Add that to breakfast and lunch and we definitely got value out of the credits we used today.

Snacks were pretty uninspiring today, so no photos (other than the soup at BOG. We had:
1 croissant, 1 pain au chocolat, 3 helpings of soft serve ice cream and 1 Micky ice cream sandwich.

Day 2 is Hollywood Studios and CBR.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sindysam
Imagineer

Mobile

Brilliant so far. Looking forward to reading the rest. You've helped me decide on my BoG breakfast now (well narrowed to two!)
Old 31 Mar 17, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Thanks for taking the time to give an update. I'm not a lover of many vegetable in this country (I make myself eat them as they are good for me), but I do find I crave them in America.

Breakfast at BOG looks good- might be tempted when we go.
Hope you're having a wonderful time
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 17, 02:11 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Day 2 - Hollywood Studios and CBR

Today we grabbed a quick breakfast in our room before heading out. We take the mini variety boxes of cereal with us from the UK and find them really handy. So breakfast was this:

Lunch was at Hollywood Studios. I felt at a bit of a loss here as my go to place was Starring Rolls before it suddenly closed So, I was on the mission to find something new. We were all really hungry and at Rock n Roller coaster, so ended up going for the closest option of all the outside stalls opposite the Fantasmic theatre. We went for:

Me - Empanadas Platter: Beef Empanadas served with Cilantro Rice, Black Beans, Roasted Corn Salsa and Sour Cream from Fairfax Fare.
Andy - Fajita Combo Platter: Pulled Pork, Grilled Chicken and Flour Tortillas served with Black Beans, Cilantro Rice, Peppers, Onions, Sour Cream and Tomato Corn Salsa from Fairfax Fare.
Izzy - Burger and fries from Rosie's All American Diner. She actually ordered the 1/3 lb Fresh Angus Onion Straw Cheddar Cheeseburger, but likes her burgers plain so had all the toppings removed.
Brodie - Burgers and coleslaw from Rosie's All American Diner, also with the toppings removed. He didn't order fries as he doesn't eat potato, but they came with the burger anyway, so Andy ate them.

I don't eat sweetcorn, so gave my sweetcorn salsa to Andy and he gave me his peppers and onions which I mixed in to my rice. The rice was cooked really well and not all stodgy and stuck together. The empanadas were tasty enough, but I added the black beans to them and that was really nice. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and would happily eat it again. Andy also really enjoyed his fajita platter. He said the chicken was tender and the pulled pork tasty without being overly barbecued in flavour or drowning in sauce. Thumbs up from him too.

The children said the burgers were really good. The coleslaw didn't fair as well. Brodie's quite the little coleslaw connoisseur and didn't rate it at all.

Overall though, lunch was a success

Dinner was our first meal at CBR. We used our resort mugs for drinks, so swapped the drink out for a dessert/snack option. After looking at all the different offerings we went for:
Me - Jamaican jerk chicken with rice, black beans, broccoli and corn bread. There was a choice of sides for this, and I jumped at the broccoli option. I mentioned to the server that it was nice to get some vegetables, to which she replied, "Yes, I agree. I have the mashed potato as my vegetable." Really? Dessert was a dark chocolate, nuts and sea salt 'Kind' bar.
Andy - Blackened mahi sandwich with coleslaw and fries. Desert was a chocolate chip cookie.
Izzy - 'Create your own pasta'. After experiencing this at POR, I'm using the term 'create your own' VERY loosely for the CBR version. There are no vegetables to choose from and it's not cooked fresh to order either. So, her 'creation' was penne pasta, Alfredo sauce, grilled chicken breast and bread stick. Dessert was a sugar cookie.
Brodie: Burger with lettuce, tomato and coleslaw. Dessert was a chocolate cookie.

My chicken was good with a nice flavour, but some parts of the breast section were a little dry. The black bean and rice combo was tasty, but the rice was a bit clumpy and they could do with taking lessons on cooking it from Fairfax Fare. Broccoli was perfect! I had hoped that the cornbread would be like the cake style one that they serve at Hoop Dee Doo, but unfortunately not. It was quite dry and had bits of actual corn in it. Not for me. Overall though, the meal was tasty and filling. The Kind bar was lovely and I'll definitely be getting one of those again.

Andy really wasn't impressed with his mahi sandwich. He said there was a funny taste, which he thought might have been the coleslaw on top. So, he tried some of the fish on it's own and said it was quite bland a dry. The fries were good (hard to get them wrong really), and the cookie was tasty and the best part of his meal.

Izzy loved her meal, despite it not being a patch on the POR version IMO. The chicken breast was still moist and full of flavour and she devoured the lot. A definite thumbs up from her and something she'd have again. Thumbs up for the sugar cookie too.

Brodie enjoyed his burger, but thumbs down for the coleslaw again. To be honest, I think the traditional style in mayonnaise is more his thing. Another thumbs up for the cookie.

My main worry about booking CBR over POR was the QS food offerings, but this is our budget trip. POR is far superior, and where we'd happily eat there on a regular basis. So far, CBR is somewhere we'll grab something if we're not at a park and can't be bothered to go elsewhere to eat. Hopefully they'll remedy some of this in the refurbishment that's going to be taking place over the next couple of years.

Snacks! Only 2 snack credits used today. 1 for a Mickey pretzel in Hollywood Studios and an bag of pretzels from CBR.

The Mickey head pretzel had the option of a cheese sauce dip, but Izzy didn't want that. I always struggle with the sheer quantity of huge salt crystals that they cover these pretzels in, so asked for one with not too much salt for her. Brodie ate the bag of pretzels he had before I had chance to photograph them, so just one of the Mickey head:

One nice thing about CBR is being able to write this sitting by the lake watching Ilumiations fireworks in one direction and Star Wars fireworks in the other!

Day 3 will be our first offsite meal at Outback and dinner at Epcot, although not 100% sure where yet.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019

Edited at 03:12 AM.
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 17, 02:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

oh what a great start, i love a foodie trippee xx
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 17, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Caljos
Trainee Dibber

Love reading your report x Enjoy your off site eats xx
Caljos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List