Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Mar 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My first visit to the US was in the 90'S and the recommended tip was 15%. 18/% now seems the norm, you are often given the option of 20 or 25%. I have no problem with tipping but the suggested amount is getting out of hand. What irritates me if I get table service in a bar for drinks only six whiskies might cost me a $10 dollar tip but if I then get 6 single malt whiskies that are double the price the tip goes up to $20 for the same amount of work. That is a con my opinion.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Bar tipping is another funny one. Whilst I am happy to tip for good attentive service at the end of meal, going to the bar and ordering a beer is a different matter. I really don’t get the concept of tipping someone to potentially take the cap of a bottle of beer.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
Bar tipping is another funny one. Whilst I am happy to tip for good attentive service at the end of meal, going to the bar and ordering a beer is a different matter. I really don’t get the concept of tipping someone to potentially take the cap of a bottle of beer.
Agreed but that's the way they do it, if you don't they ignore you. Bar staff in busy bars must make decent money.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
When I lived in New Jersey when I was younger it was always 10% around those parts.
Fair enough. Just thought I'd post a couple of articles (there are plenty more) that said around 1990 it was customary to tip servers 15% in the US.

I did try to find articles that said the customary tip was 10% back then because that's what I thought. But I couldn't find any evidence of that.

The first couple of times I visited (late 90s) I would have left a 10% tip.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
It's the way it is over there. The thing that annoys me is that if you have a drink in the bar part of a restaurant - say while waiting for a table - you cannot transfer the bar tab to the table, as this would mean the bar server gets no tip.

I've had my credit card blocked as a result of this policy in the past. The bar bill will be low so is seen as a test transaction to check the card is OK. You then try to pay for the meal (significantly higher value) and it flags up as two transactions in the same place within a relatively short time period.

This has happened twice - both in Outback Steakhouse on Vineland Road (opposite Premium Outlets / near Publix). I now know to pay for the pre-dinner drinks with cash or a different credit card to the one I want to pay for the meal with.

Edited at 07:01 PM.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amarooney View Post
My first visit to the US was in the 90'S and the recommended tip was 15%. 18/% now seems the norm, you are often given the option of 20 or 25%. I have no problem with tipping but the suggested amount is getting out of hand. What irritates me if I get table service in a bar for drinks only six whiskies might cost me a $10 dollar tip but if I then get 6 single malt whiskies that are double the price the tip goes up to $20 for the same amount of work. That is a con my opinion.
And no one ever explains why it continually increases.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
hardly
Excited about Disney

The pressure of the tipping culture is the one negative that can spoil it for me.
Pull up in a golf car car park an£ they want to take your clubs, I don’t need that or want it, it’s created just to justify a tip. I tip 15% there about s in restraints although I do think the tip is now expected whether they are bothered or not. Good job I can’t live off steak and fries every night when there, and prefer toast or cereal in the villa for breaking.
hardly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hardly View Post
The pressure of the tipping culture is the one negative that can spoil it for me.
Pull up in a golf car car park an£ they want to take your clubs, I don’t need that or want it, it’s created just to justify a tip. I tip 15% there about s in restraints although I do think the tip is now expected whether they are bothered or not. Good job I can’t live off steak and fries every night when there, and prefer toast or cereal in the villa for breaking.

Agree
We’re the same and it definitely affects what we do when there
Old 10 Mar 21, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

I never think about tipping, it certainly doesn't influence where we eat. We tip as we wish and have never had a disaproving look.
Old 11 Mar 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

Originally Posted by hardly View Post
If you ever visit Egypt...you'll long for the tipping culture of America!

2002 Enchantedland Resort, 2005 Cabana Bay, 2011 Peabody, 2014 Rosen Point Orlando, 2017 Rosen Plaza, 2019 Rosen Shingle Creek. 2020 cancelled x2, 2021 cancelled x1... May 2022 - three weeks in Rosen Shingle Creek. May 2023 Drury Plaza Disney Springs. May 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort, December 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort

khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List