Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Dec 21, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Trades people not turning up

Really fed up

Booked a small company to come and restore the old 1920’s tiles in the hallway. I was happy with the quote, accepted it, and eventually was given a date of 8/9th December to have them done, as they needed to dry between cleaning and sealing.

On Wednesday, 2 lovely blokes turned up pretty much on time, and blasted the tiles with chemicals, and left them looking really clean. Around 11am they left and said they wouldn’t do anymore on the day as they were too wet, and would be back Friday to repair the broken tiles and seal the floor.

This was news to me as I had arranged to be at home Wed and Thurs and was out all day Friday. I explained this and they said they would come 4pm Friday, once my husband was home from work and it wouldn’t take long.

In the meantime he said don’t get them dirty, walk on them in shoes etc as they are very porous. This isn’t easy as it’s our hallway, we have a big black dog and the weather has been awful.

At 12pm Friday I get a message. Is anyone in? Umm no, I scrabble around but I can’t get anyone there to let him in until 3.30pm, no problem he says. I’ll be with you Monday at 3pm. I arrange to work at home on Monday, and spend all weekend wiping up dog paws and telling my husband off for walking through his own hall 😂

It’s now Monday at 5.30pm and not a dicky bird. Can’t get hold of them.

I really hope they are ok first up, but I would like them finished. If only they had fixed the broken tile as then my husband could have sealed them, but alas no. I think they are going to look grubby again by the time they come to seal them.

I haven’t paid, but I would just like to be able to put my furniture back and use my front door 🙈
Old 14 Dec 21, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Mobile

I know things come up, but it’s frustrating when you’re let down like that. Hope it gets sorted soon - always nice to be able to walk on your hall floor 😉
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 21, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

My parents have been waiting for a decorator for 2 months-says he is coming then doesn’t. They are also waiting for the company to come look at their house alarm- been let down 3 times now in 4 weeks and now can’t get hold of anyone. It has taken us 11 months to get our front door fitted then refitted then refitted again due to the bad job the 1st and 2nd times. Was ordered in Jan-sorted 2 weeks ago. It’s like a never ending round of phone calls, waiting in and being let down at the moment.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 21, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I feel your pain. It's so hard finding reliable works people. It shouldn't be, but it is. As a self employed person myself - not in the 'trade' - I would never get away with acting like this! There is just no body or organisation to report them to.

And of course not all tradespeople are unreliable, but the bad apples give the whole a bad rep
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 21, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
I feel your pain. It's so hard finding reliable works people. It shouldn't be, but it is. As a self employed person myself - not in the 'trade' - I would never get away with acting like this! There is just no body or organisation to report them to.

And of course not all tradespeople are unreliable, but the bad apples give the whole a bad rep
Oh I know! I am not self employed anymore but when I was if I didn’t turn up it would be no end of chaos!

He messaged me back late last night saying he wasn’t feeling well, apparently not covid, he had done a test, but a cold. I’m baffled if he was out getting tested that he couldn’t drop me a text. I wouldn’t have minded at all if he had let me know if the morning, but as he had tried to turn up 4 hours early on Friday, the dog and I stayed in all afternoon yesterday.

We have agreed 9am Thursday! Keep everything crossed for me 😂
Old 14 Dec 21, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
I know things come up, but it’s frustrating when you’re let down like that. Hope it gets sorted soon - always nice to be able to walk on your hall floor 😉
It’s handy you know 😂 we have tried perfecting a jump but the Labrador just isn’t playing ball 😂
Old 14 Dec 21, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
My parents have been waiting for a decorator for 2 months-says he is coming then doesn’t. They are also waiting for the company to come look at their house alarm- been let down 3 times now in 4 weeks and now can’t get hold of anyone. It has taken us 11 months to get our front door fitted then refitted then refitted again due to the bad job the 1st and 2nd times. Was ordered in Jan-sorted 2 weeks ago. It’s like a never ending round of phone calls, waiting in and being let down at the moment.
It’s definitely the saying they are coming and then not I find really hard to deal with.
I’m sure your parents feel the same but we feel isolated enough lately without having to literally sit in all day, with no communication in the hope they turn up.
I’m hybrid office and home so it needs arranging and it’s a bloody nightmare!
Hope they get sorted soon
Old 14 Dec 21, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Oh I know! I am not self employed anymore but when I was if I didn’t turn up it would be no end of chaos!

He messaged me back late last night saying he wasn’t feeling well, apparently not covid, he had done a test, but a cold. I’m baffled if he was out getting tested that he couldn’t drop me a text. I wouldn’t have minded at all if he had let me know if the morning, but as he had tried to turn up 4 hours early on Friday, the dog and I stayed in all afternoon yesterday.

We have agreed 9am Thursday! Keep everything crossed for me 😂
My fingers are crossed 😆 hopefully he will want the earnings before Xmas!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 21, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Customers aren’t brilliant either, my wife was telling me of a friend who husband is a tiler, he went and tiled a customer bathroom just to help them out so they would have a complete for Christmas. On completion he was sitting down with them having a cup of tea and they said they haven’t had any taste for anything for a couple of days since they went on a night out. So you can imagine how happy he was.

Edited at 07:38 AM.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 21, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have had issues with tradesmen recently too. It’s so difficult to find anyone reliable. Unfortunately young people now are not encouraged to go in to trade so it will only get worse.

I would say though that there are just as many bad customers. Those who cancel with no notice, try to knock the price down once the job in underway, add work on during the job but expect the price to stay the same. Husband is a decorator and gets this regularly !

OP, maybe give them a written deadline and tell them you will get someone else in to complete the job. It may be difficult getting the job completed if you need to be there though. It is a small job and needs to be fitted in with other work. Could a neighbour not be given a key to let them in.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List