Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 30 Dec 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

CDC new advisory - cruise ships

A new advisory from CDC raises the Covid Travel Health notice from level 3 to level 4 (very high) and says avoid cruise ship travel. Clearly, it’s not a ban but I hope it’s not a precursor to something more draconian or prompts cruise lines to pull cruises.
wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...us-cruise-ship

Edited at 09:11 PM.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
caro
Excited about Disney

We are due to cruise from Miami at the end of February. Keeping everything crossed it goes ahead, but at the same time we have already lost one port and have to do millions of tests... Will it be best off cancelled? 🤔
caro is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 21, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caro View Post
We are due to cruise from Miami at the end of February. Keeping everything crossed it goes ahead, but at the same time we have already lost one port and have to do millions of tests... Will it be best off cancelled? 🤔
It’s all becoming a bit messy. I’ve just been reading that cruising against CDC advice might invalidate U.K. travel insurance. I don’t know, but it’s something I intend to check out.
Edit: Our travel insurance states in the General Exclusions section:
17. You not following any advice or recommendations made by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the World Health Organization, or any government or other
official authority. This includes where certain vaccinations or other preventative measures (such as malaria tablets) are recommended.

Does not following CDC advice mean a potential invalid claim? I need to speak to my insurer.☹️

Edited at 09:31 PM.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Yes, I was going to say that travelling from a US port when a CDC advisory is in place will likely invalidate your insurance.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 21, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It's a long way off, but I am wondering whether our Alaska cruise next August is wise or not. We have a plan B of postponing and doing a west coast road trip instead.
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 21, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by itsrachelhere View Post
It's a long way off, but I am wondering whether our Alaska cruise next August is wise or not. We have a plan B of postponing and doing a west coast road trip instead.
It’s a difficult call this far out - a lot can happen before next August. We’ve got a cruise booked next month that we are still deliberating about!😂
Old 30 Dec 21, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
It’s a difficult call this far out - a lot can happen before next August. We’ve got a cruise booked next month that we are still deliberating about!😂
Yes, that's a lot more pressing! I can live with the cruise not going ahead (although it would be very disappointing as it's for my 40th and I have been planning this for the best part of ten years!), but the main thing I am concerned about is testing positive in the pre-cruise tests and then being stuck out there in a hotel. Of course, that becomes even more of a challenge if your insurance is no longer valid.
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 21, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Yes, that's a lot more pressing! I can live with the cruise not going ahead (although it would be very disappointing as it's for my 40th and I have been planning this for the best part of ten years!), but the main thing I am concerned about is testing positive in the pre-cruise tests and then being stuck out there in a hotel. Of course, that becomes even more of a challenge if your insurance is no longer valid.
My understanding is that if you test positive pre-cruise, you would be covered by travel insurance (depending on the small print) - if you cruised under the current CDC advisory and had to make a Covid or non-Covid claim it seems almost certain that it would be declined.
This is only my take, but I would be amazed if the current advisory is still in place next August ( famous last words)!
Old 30 Dec 21, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
My understanding is that if you test positive pre-cruise, you would be covered by travel insurance (depending on the small print) - if you cruised under the current CDC advisory and had to make a Covid or non-Covid claim it seems almost certain that it would be declined.
This is only my take, but I would be amazed if the current advisory is still in place next August ( famous last words)!
Its just so hard to know, isn't it! We are going from Vancouver, and the Canadians are obviously being even more cautious. At least I will appreciate it that much more when the time finally comes. I feel for you though - so much uncertainty.
Old 31 Dec 21, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Its just so hard to know, isn't it! We are going from Vancouver, and the Canadians are obviously being even more cautious. At least I will appreciate it that much more when the time finally comes. I feel for you though - so much uncertainty.
I hope your trip goes ahead - Alaska is a fantastic cruise destination.