Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 9 Jun 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
This is fine. The person with the DAS needs to be present on the return AND enter the queue. This is when they check the photo. I always thought they needed to be there or at least their band to get the return time but this is not the case. I have been told directly by cast members that I can use my own band to get return times.
Yeah they don't have to be there to get the time. We were specifically told this last time when we got the DAS in May and the guy insisted on explaining the system to us (even though I said we visitied in September and got one).
Old 2 Jul 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
Can I ask what your experience with universal was? I didn’t go for an assistance pass last time because we were only there a day and a half and the waits were all short but I was going to get one next visit.
I was refused the assistance pass at Universal last year. I have ME and Fibromyalgia and was in a wheelchair for mobility, but obviously get very fatigued and sore. I did try to explain but she wasn't having it, and to be honest I was embarrassed having to explain my condition. I would much rather have been able to show them my PIP/ESA letter,but since I've never had a problem in any of the parks previously, I didn't think to take it with me.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottish mama View Post
I was refused the assistance pass at Universal last year. I have ME and Fibromyalgia and was in a wheelchair for mobility, but obviously get very fatigued and sore. I did try to explain but she wasn't having it, and to be honest I was embarrassed having to explain my condition. I would much rather have been able to show them my PIP/ESA letter,but since I've never had a problem in any of the parks previously, I didn't think to take it with me.
My sister has a hip condition that means she can't stand or walk long distances and they also refused one. Universal are very sticky on what does and doesn't count and I think half the time make it up.
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
Universal are very sticky on what does and doesn't count .
Yes, that's been our experience at Universal too. Significant issues; no problem at Disney, but Universal sometimes say yes, sometimes no.

Adds to the stress levels...
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

Unsure about Disney as when we first went Son wasnt diagnosed then (Autism) although he was 7 and lots of challenging behaviours... we spent first half of holiday at Disney just using regular fast passes. At universal though a cast member noticed him having a huge meltdown and she organised us to get a DAS pass for the rest of the trip. I had not heard of them before that.

On subsequent visits, both Universal and Seaworld parks had my sons name and details saved in their systems so when it came to asking for the DAS passes they were both excellent and issued no problem at all.

Excellent service.
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Trouble is the US law is pretty firm on it. You can't ask for anything to "prove" it and therefore you can't really get around people being able to abuse it.
You probably wouldn't think it was "trouble" if you or one of your family were disabled (or worse on the diagnostic path with no paperwork yet). It's actually refreshing to not have to explain in great detail within hearing of strangers and take paperwork too (especially as a disability often means more "luggage" needed for even a short day out.)
It really doesn't matter what laws are in place you will alway get the Shameless types who will play the system but ultimately in UK where demanding proof is legal it seems more concerned with stopping people playing the system whereas the US laws are framed to make things easier (and respect the privacy) for the disabled person instead. I prefer the US attitude. It acknowledges the need to preserve the dignity of anyone with a disability.

Edited at 12:42 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
You probably wouldn't think it was "trouble" if you or one of your family were disabled (or worse on the diagnostic path with no paperwork yet). It's actually refreshing to not have to explain in great detail within hearing of strangers and take paperwork too (especially as a disability often means more "luggage" needed for even a short day out.)
It really doesn't matter what laws are in place you will alway get the Shameless types who will play the system but ultimately in UK where demanding proof is legal it seems more concerned with stopping people playing the system whereas the US laws are framed to make things easier (and respect the privacy) for the disabled person instead. I prefer the US attitude. It acknowledges the need to preserve the dignity of anyone with a disability.
So I take quite a lot of offense at this! I am disabled person and I still stand by my comment. I appreciate your point but I also think the US system makes it very easy to abuse and therefore was the reason they have had to implement changes in the DAS policy which makes it more restrictive. Its also the reason why I feel Universals system also doesn't work as for a lot of conditions it is very difficult to explain your requirements and medical information would make it easier and quicker to sort.

Making a personal attack on someone about their family and situation for stating an opinion is unneeded. I was expressing my opinion on the system based on being a disabled person so do not pass judgement on other people

Edited at 01:19 PM.
gismo1554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

What attack? If you feel you've been personally attacked then hit the report button but no one has attacked you.
As for the changes to the DAS passes we as a family have no problem with them as it's fairer that everyone waits the same time, the difference being anyone with issues standing in a queue doesn't have to but can wait somewhere more comfortable or do something else in the meantime . It also has the advantage that it is less attractive to the DAS abusers so should mean less abuse.
It meets the remit that anyone with disabilities shouldn't be disadvantaged , the previous scheme actually was a bit unfair as it didn't level the playing field but went further and gave the DAS family a significant advantage. I never felt that was particularly fair even though we used it when we had to.

I can't comment on Universal's current policy as we don't bother with Universal but it sounds unsatisfactory.

So I take quite a lot of offense at this! I am disabled person and I still stand by my comment. I appreciate your point but I also think the US system makes it very easy to abuse and therefore was the reason they have had to implement changes in the DAS policy which makes it more restrictive. Its also the reason why I feel Universals system also doesn't work as for a lot of conditions it is very difficult to explain your requirements and medical information would make it easier and quicker to sort.

Making a personal attack on someone about their family and situation for stating an opinion is cruel and unneeded. I was expressing my opinion on the system based on being a disabled person so do not pass judgement on other people

Edited at 01:21 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
What attack? If you feel you've been personally attacked then hit the report button but no one has attacked you..
As said I feel that this comment "You probably wouldn't think it was "trouble" if you or one of your family were disabled (or worse on the diagnostic path with no paperwork yet)." is a personal attack on me assuming I am not a disabled person. I wont be reporting your post as I think people should be free to share their opinion and as said you are expressing yours I just don't think that was called for!
Old 3 Jul 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

As said I feel that this comment "You probably wouldn't think it was "trouble" if you or one of your family were disabled (or worse on the diagnostic path with no paperwork yet)." is a personal attack on me assuming I am not a disabled person. I wont be reporting your post as I think people should be free to share their opinion and as said you are expressing yours I just don't think that was called for!
Frankly I can't see how any family wouldn't prefer not to be questioned in detail about disabilities by strangers within the hearing of other guests but hey we are all different and maybe you've taken "troubled" to mean something different .
I stand by finding the new system better as I now feel we aren't "queue jumping" but waiting the same length of time even if in far more comfortable surroundings as everyone else.

Edited at 01:45 PM.