Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Jun 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
New York Tourist Passes, I’m dithering!

So we fly to NYC on 27th of this month and previously friends have advised getting the New York Pass as you can get into many attractions for free and skip the ticket lines. I have looked at most of the passes and given our list of things we want to do and the fact that it will be really busy I think we will be better off buying the tickets that we want individually in advance as many of the things we want to do have no charge...I’m just worried I’ll regret it when we get there.

The things we want to do are:
Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island - pay
Times Square/Broadway- free
Ground Zero Monument-free
Top of Rock - pay
Central Park - free
Brooklyn Bridge -free
Shopping - no entrance fee but not free
The High Line - free
Grand Central Station - free
Circle Line Boat Tour - pay
One World Observatory - pay (not on passes)
American museum of Natural History- pay
Go and see other landmarks but maybe not go in?

We’re there 5 nights but I’ll only really have 4 days there, I know it’s likely to be hot and busy so I don’t want to cram too much in on one day which would mean buying the passes for several days which gets expensive.

Does this sound sensible or am I missing something?
Thanks
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mini-mum
Getting Excited

Mobile

SOL needs to be booked separately and as quickly as possible particularly if you want to go up to the crown. We went in April and didn't have a pass. We did TOTR but didn't manage to fit in OWO in our 5 days. We climbed the vessel which was fun and free.
I don't think you would get your money's worth from a pass.
mini-mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

You have quite a lot on your list and would really cram up your day so I think you would need to do a bit of an itinerary to plot out which ones are close together and think can you fit everything in beforehand. I know the natural history museum is at least a half day in itself, and even then you won't get round the whole thing!

It might be doable for it all, but you'll be very busy!

It might be worth having a look at this one - smartdestinations/ne...l?currency=USD

I used it two years ago and we choose what we wanted to do in advance so we could make sure we were going to get our moneys worth, as I've been quite a few times so there were a few things I wouldn't be doing again, and we had other non touristy things planned.
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Originally Posted by mini-mum View Post
SOL needs to be booked separately and as quickly as possible particularly if you want to go up to the crown. We went in April and didn't have a pass. We did TOTR but didn't manage to fit in OWO in our 5 days. We climbed the vessel which was fun and free.
I don't think you would get your money's worth from a pass.
Yes I realised the other day that we have missed out on going up SOL, I’m not sure whether we should go to Ellis Island or just see SOL from a boat trip? I’m wondering whether to do just one observatory too. Thanks for your reply
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Originally Posted by PumpkinCupcake View Post
You have quite a lot on your list and would really cram up your day so I think you would need to do a bit of an itinerary to plot out which ones are close together and think can you fit everything in beforehand. I know the natural history museum is at least a half day in itself, and even then you won't get round the whole thing!

It might be worth having a look at this one - smartdestinations/ne...l?currency=USD

I used it two years ago and we choose what we wanted to do in advance so we could make sure we were going to get our moneys worth, as I've been quite a few times so there were a few things I wouldn't be doing again, and we had other non touristy things planned.
Thanks for your reply, yes I’ve got a map and will check where everything is in more detail.
Was thinking dh and ds may do Natural History and me and dd go shopping as she wants to do that but not bothered about Natural History.
Tbh we can drop some items, I definitely don’t want to be marching everyone around if it’s hot, so will prioritise and put a few things as optional!
Old 11 Jun 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm in the middle of planning my NY trip too! We've got 5 nights there as well, there's a lot to fit in!

Re Statue of Liberty, if you just want to see it from a boat and not go to Ellis island you can get the Staten Island Ferry for free. If you want to go to Ellis Island, go for it. We skipped out Liberty Island as the queue to get back on the boat was very very long. The boat goes from NY to Liberty first, then Ellis, then back to NY.

The queue just to get on the boat in NY was quite long when we went in October, so I'd recommend prebooking a slot online. That won't be included with your pass I don't think? Whilst you're down there you'd go to one world observatory on the same day as well.

Are you getting hop on hop off bus passes? I think the circle line boat cruise is included in that.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by PumpkinCupcake View Post

Curious to know what non touristy things you did,
Thanks
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Wondering how to view SOL myself. We'll be there over New Year so very very busy time. I imagine the free boats will be ridiculously busy. Any suggestions?
Old 11 Jun 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

If you do get a chance to get up to the crown grab it, an amazing experience. Look out for dates that suddenly become available.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 04:27 AM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We used this one in October, we had the 10 attractions and worked out much better value than the New York pass which you pay per day, this one you choose how many attractions you want and you have 14 days to use them. It included one world and top of the rock as well as a 3 day bus pass which counts as only 1 attraction. It doesn’t include Empire State Building but you get a $40 voucher you can use towards this. If you google you will also find a find a discount code to make it even cheaper
sightseeingpass/en/n...ghtseeing-pass
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List