Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jun 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Shell52
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Trinacham View Post
Word of warning to anyone thinking of booking flights only...
I was researching insurance the other day as I'm booked with Thomas Cook next year.. I was looking at end supplier failure and airline failure and found in the small print 'we will not cover you if a company has been known in the media to be suffering financial difficulties'. Saw this on the only 2 insurance companies I looked at.. so I'm betting a lot, if not all have it in their small print.
Do I take it from this that you have booked your flights but not yet taken out insurance? Surely you should do insurance as soon as your holiday is booked (unless you routinely use an annual insurance policy and the holiday is more than 12 months away).

I've booked with Thomas Cook for July 2020, and I booked and took my insurance out before anything came out in the news - hence my insurance will cover me if they do go belly up.
Shell52 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

I renewed my policy in March to include end supplier failure ( annual policy with same company)

Guessing I’m covered ( it’s has End supplier failure), it was renewable in March but obviously there were items in the press about Thomas cook, but as it wasn’t renewable till then things were already being said .

Guessing I must be covered ?

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by signtalker View Post
I renewed my policy in March to include end supplier failure ( annual policy with same company)

Guessing I’m covered ( it’s has End supplier failure), it was renewable in March but obviously there were items in the press about Thomas cook, but as it wasn’t renewable till then things were already being said .

Guessing I must be covered ?

Jules
I would say you're covered, but check the fine print.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Trinacham
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by Shell52 View Post
Do I take it from this that you have booked your flights but not yet taken out insurance? Surely you should do insurance as soon as your holiday is booked (unless you routinely use an annual insurance policy and the holiday is more than 12 months away).

I've booked with Thomas Cook for July 2020, and I booked and took my insurance out before anything came out in the news - hence my insurance will cover me if they do go belly up.
I have done insurance. Yes, it was a couple of weeks after I booked, but that's really up to the individual whether they want to risk it or not!

Plus, I actually booked a package so I'm ATOL protected anyway - I would not need to claim through insurance if TC went under (realised this before writing my other post!).. but just wanted to give people who are thinking of booking a flights-only, since the news, a friendly heads up!

Edited at 07:34 PM.
Trinacham is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Shell
Imagineer

I queried with my insurance if I was covered (cover taken out same day as flights booked) they advised yes I am as it was prior to any threat of insolvency. They did say had I of taken cover out now, after TC being in the press I would not be covered as it is a risk the consumer takes!
Miss_Shell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucky23
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Surely insurance companies cannot refuse to cover you now as nothing has happened re Thomas cook airlines ( it is in the same boat as many airlines ). Insurers can’t justbsay you are not covered if you fly with Tc? Can they?
Lucky23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It will be interesting to see how TC will develop. I thought it would go quickly if it went, but it’s all gone quiet. That doesn’t mean things are getting worse behind the scenes though, but they could be getting better- but it depends if people are avoiding it in peak season, and this thread suggests they are.
I lost three flights on Monarch. The issue is not generally getting the money back. I had one Atol protected (govmnt had quietly insisted on it towards the end for flights only), one on debit card, one on credit with AMEX. My Amex I got back quickly, the Atol one I got when I filled in the form, and the debit I got back on chargeback.
So especially if paying on credit card, you are fine.
As to end supplier insurance, last time I checked the largest add on insurer refused to cover TC. There is often an exclusion as well for any firm with publicised financial issues when taking out the insurance.
Whether you would need end supplier failure is another question. I didn’t have it with Monarch and got all my money back, and the government paid for all flights home for people abroad at the time.
The real issue here is losing the flight if anything did happen. Would you be able to get another at last minute, and would you have to pay a lot more. Even though my Monarch flights were short haul, alternative flights in school holidays then cost me a lot more. So perhaps less risk if you are going outside peak season.
I like TC and regularly travel with them (think last 3-4 years been to USA with them), and I’ve had a look at the flights for 2020 but am yet to see any cheap enough to tempt me to book given the issues. Hopefully they’ll sell the airline soon, and we can get back to booking with confidence, but things could certainly go wrong still yet.
This is the latest news on the matter news.sky/story/insurers-...table-11748657

Edited at 06:42 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lucky23 View Post
Surely insurance companies cannot refuse to cover you now as nothing has happened re Thomas cook airlines ( it is in the same boat as many airlines ). Insurers can’t justbsay you are not covered if you fly with Tc? Can they?
Insurance company’s can choose what risks they cover and how much they charge. If there is any uncertainty with an supplier they can choose to exclude it, if you booked before the news unless they have end carrier failure exclusion it’s likely to be covered.

Take buildings insurance if it has been decided that there is now a flood risk to an area that did not exist before even though these houses have not been flooded insurance will go up or be refused.

I probably would not fly Thomas cook but not because they are likely to go bust I would book with my credit card and not worry.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List