Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Is the tips before or after the tax?
It really makes very little difference (at least not in Orlando anyway). Just around 1% difference. By which I mean, tipping 18% on the after-tax bill is roughly equivalent to tipping 19% on the before-tax bill. On a $100 meal it will mean a difference of only around $1 to the tip.

Personally, I tend not to tip to the exact cent and will often round the tip to the nearest dollar or so anyway.

However, as mentioned above, it's supposed to be based on the pre-tax total and, yes, many receipts will work it out for you and show example amounts based on a couple of suggested percentages.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It really makes very little difference (at least not in Orlando anyway). Just around 1% difference. By which I mean, tipping 18% on the after-tax bill is roughly equivalent to tipping 19% on the before-tax bill. On a $100 meal it will mean a difference of only around $1 to the tip.

Personally, I tend not to tip to the exact cent and will often round the tip to the nearest dollar or so anyway.

However, as mentioned above, it's supposed to be based on the pre-tax total and, yes, many receipts will work it out for you and show example amounts based on a couple of suggested percentages.
I remember about a year ago the "tipping before tax" warranted a multi-page thread of it's own. My reply at the time was basically identical to yours.

Assume a pre-tax check of $100 in a county with 7% tax and a desire to tip 20% - all random numbers to make the maths easier.

Tip before tax $20, tip after tax $21.40. As I always pay cash in restaurants over there anyway I just round the payment to a round dollar.

Mick

Edited at 11:49 AM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The suggested tip in Ohana was $60 and we left $40, we didn’t like it much. They were a bit slow coming round and dh wanted more steak on a skewers but they only came around once. Everything tasted sweetish, we usually tip 15 to 20% not sure if that’s right or wrong tbh!
Old 3 Jun 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I remember about a year ago the "tipping before tax" warranted a multi-page thread of it's own. My reply at the time was basically identical to yours.
I've also said the same thing as my above comment before on a multi-page "tipping before/after tax" thread.

In your example, I would probably just leave a $20 tip, rather than rooting around for an extra dollar or two. Tips are supposed to be approximately 15% to 20% (or 18% to 22%, or whatever numbers you choose). You don't have to leave the exact amount.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:29 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I noticed a couple of places, Denny’s and chillis for example has the suggested tip after tax but the majority of other restaurants didn’t, seemed a bit sneaky. I know it’s only a few $$ but it’s more the principle
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

About 18% and always in cash... if the service and food were decent. I would have no hesitation in tipping zero if the experience merits it (but never have).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Considering how many times people eat out... .20% or 22 % great if its the odd meal out. But eating out every night... sorry its gonna be 15-18%.
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:48 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
Considering how many times people eat out... .20% or 22 % great if its the odd meal out. But eating out every night... sorry its gonna be 15-18%.
So the server who gives you great service is penalised because you eat out every night ? Hardly seems fair.
I'm not really sure I understand your logic, surely it's fairer to pick places you can afford 20% with the expectation you'll want to tip at full Rate as the service will be great ( and if it isn't adjust accordingly)
It's hardly the servers fault if you can't afford to eat there though !

Edited at 02:52 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:51 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
About 18% and always in cash... if the service and food were decent. I would have no hesitation in tipping zero if the experience merits it (but never have).
I'm told you shouldn't not tip in that situation but tip a penny to make it clear you didn't just forget by American friends.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

For me it depended on the meal and the waiter. I thought I would try for 18%-20% as much as I could but there were some meals that I really didn’t want to tip at all but felt guilty if I didn’t so I just did it low.
I also realised after when I was adding things up that at one restaurant I had tipped more than I would have wanted to and the reason was that the “suggested tip” was on the total amount before the free started which I wasn’t sure I was happy with that especially as the service was only ok. I also don’t really do odd numbers mostly. So I like to round to nice number.

This is what I ended up with after my holiday
Cracker Barrel 19% ok service
T-Rex 9.5% terrible service (I have 4% tip to another waiter)
Bahama breeze 23.5% ok service
Manny 23.5% amazing service
Ihop 22% amazing service
Bahama breeze 15% below average
Manny 21.5% amazing service
Denny’s 20% good service
Millers 18% ok service
Mannys 23.5% amazing service
Millers 19% ok service
Applebee’s 18% ok service
Rock and brew 17% below average
Denny’s 8% terrible service

I think it’s difficult to say we tip x amount as I really think it all depends on what service you get.
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List