Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 6 Jun 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
bootsie
Trainee Dibber

Thou Shalt Not Cram May 2019 - First Day MK

Day one of our long awaited holiday dawned!

I had slept pretty well until about 1am when I was woken up by The Noise. It was a faint high pitched hum/ rattle and almost drove me absolutely crackers. I figured out that it was coming from the aircon but no matter what I did The Noise was relentless. Eventually I got back in bed and put the sheets over my head which blocked out some of it but I was woken up every hour. At 5am I decided that I shouldnt have to suffer in silence so I got Jono out of bed to try and fix it but we had to admit defeat. Jono went to the gym (crazy person!) and I watched some Netflix on my laptop, I was glad we brought it as the wifi was really good.

When Jono got back we decided to use the free buffet breakfast. We hadn't realised until check in that our package included 2 free breakfasts and one dinner. I knew the options for me would be limited but that doesn't really matter when it's a freebie! In the end we both got a pretty decent meal out of it. I had toast with tomatoes and fruit then more toast with peanut butter. Jono sacked off the vegan diet in favour of bacon, eggs and french toast which he really liked. As we used the voucher service charge was wiped off the bill so I left what the tip would have been in cash.

We called an uber and headed straight for TTC (it only cost $17). On the way our driver gave us a lecture about reasons to have kids... his main reason was that your future care home would take better care of you if they know you have children to sue them for negligence... I mean this doesn't sound like the best reason he could have given but I don't know!

In our opinion it is compulsory to go to MK on your first day and furthermore you must get the ferry - so we did just that! It was busy (today was a Sunday) but not as bad as we expected and they let us in early.

We had the obligatory photos outside the castle although I wasn't very happy with them then we went against the crowd back down Main Street to get our first Starbucks of the holiday!

We then headed to Tomorrowland and onto Buzz as the first ride of the holiday (excluding the ferry boat of course ) Our first FP wasn't until 9.50am. This was so much fun but sadly we didn't get a ride photo which turned out to be a reoccurring theme on this trip! Obviously Jono won but I won't dwell on that...

Space Mountain was only showing a 20 min wait although our FP window was about to open I suggested we queue and then hit it twice in one go. The first time was SO much more intense that we remembered! Second time with FP we were more prepared and loved it.

We walked to Adventure Land and felt the park was pretty quiet today for now at least. It was beautiful weather and felt like a perfect start! We went on Pirates but didn't feel blown away - has this changed? Again we missed Jungle Cruise I don't know why but we have never done this ride/

We went to Frontier Land and by now Jono started feeling hungry which was great timing as I knew Peco Bills did a vegan burger that was high up on my hit list! For some reason the host sent us straight to the front of the queue past some other people already queuing so we awkwardly just walked up to the till, I called back to check this was ok and she waved me on. Maybe we just looked like we really needed a burger?! It was $26 for 2 no drinks and they don't do fries so that seemed pricey to me but they were delish! Jono had to check they were actually vegan as they tasted so much like meat.

We had a wander around, Splash and BTRM were 40min waits which seemed like too much when we had FP for both later on. We walked to Storybook Circus checking wait times but everything was a a bit too long for us when they aren't rides we are particularly bothered about. Part of this holiday was not overdoing it and that meant using queue time for rides we really like.

We went to Philarmagic I love this so much but wearing the 3d glasses over my normal ones was a bind - without my normal glasses I couldnt see at all! Anyway my only complaint is that this isn't long enough I could watch it all day! We went to Starbucks again through the shops for some much needed aircon exposure (although I do have a theory that this just makes the heat seem worse when you get out, it sure does feel good at the time!)

By now it was time for our Splash FP yey! We headed to the FP queue and we were literally just talking about what happened last time - a large family tried to blag their way into FP and wouldn't accept that they could't get on blocking everyone else from getting on... and would you believe it, the same thing happened again 4 years later almost to the day! Some people are such chancers - only 8 hours early for your FP.

We really liked Splash and it seemed like a good use of an FP as the standby queue is long but the ride takes a while too. We had plenty of time until our next FP so we made the decision to brave the 40 min queue for Haunted Mansion. Arguably this was a breach of the Not Cramming Policy. The queue was long and it was very hot, we both suffered but not as much as the guy who lost his car key somewhere in the queue! I think the ride is cute, the special effects are good and there are so many little details. Jono didn't rate it and I switched our FP for it later in the week to Splash instead.

By now it was time for BTRM - one of my favourites! The guy behind us gave us some advice that the left hand side train ride is more intense but I'm not convinced as it was definitely steadier than we remembered!

It was 2.35 and although we were ready to call it a day I really wanted to stay for the parade. This was not compliant with the Not Cramming Policy as we were definitely ready for a nap and a dip in the pool but really this was our best chance to catch it. We got a pog straight in front of the castle and I can't decide whether this was a rookie error or not. We had a good view but it meant the parade didn't get to us straight away and then we couldn't make a swift exit once we had seen it. Anyway it didn't really matter because we both LOVED it even Jono had his camera out snapping away! The floats, costumes and dancers it is just so well produced. We love watching Alice in Wonderland in this parade as she is always in character and interacts with the crowd so well. The dragon is the best bit!

We fought our way out of a very busy Main Street and onto the ferry. We had a very successful first day and the crowds hadn't bothered us at all apart from one long queue. We got back to TTC and called an uber, our uber driver was lovely and very chatty. It became a long running joke that Jono feels obliged to make small talk to the uber drivers where as I can happily sit in silence! I don't think the drivers necessarily want to talk anyway.

We got back to the hotel for a well earned rest inc writing up trip notes, napping and reading. I felt glad that we hadn't tried to do much more with our first day. About 7pm we got ready and headed to Bahama Breeze for tea. I had already researched the one vegan option which was Jackfruit Tacos and sounded really nice. We were told it was a 35 min wait so we sat at the bar and ordered a couple of drinks. It took ages but eventually our buzzer went off, we had to wait a bit longer for someone to serve us but didn't really mind. We chatted to our waiter about the fact we were starving and had come for the vegan tacos. After we ordered he came back and said actually they had run out. He was also quick to point out that our second round of drinks was coming anyway which made us feel like we couldn't just leave (not that we could anyway as by now it was gone 8pm and we were ravenous). Jono chose a chicken pasta and I had chips with guacamole which is a starter but it was the only other vegan option.

Must admit I felt really disappointed but the food came quickly and it was nice. The bill was $54 inc tip which honestly surprised me as I hadn't even had a proper meal and my drinks were mocktails. We walked back stopping in Walgreens for more room snacks and some plasters. We got tucked up in bed praying that The Noise wouldn't make a return! Apart from the little issue with tea we had an absolutely brilliant day!

Total Spends = $158 (not too far off budget of $130)

Edited at 09:14 PM.
bootsie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
clyde106
Earning More Ears

Another sufferer of 'The Noise'. I know the feeling! Also happy to see someone else is following the unspoken rule of MK on the first day, I think it's actually the law but I'm not too sure.

Looking forward to the rest
clyde106 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
bootsie
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by clyde106 View Post
Another sufferer of 'The Noise'. I know the feeling! Also happy to see someone else is following the unspoken rule of MK on the first day, I think it's actually the law but I'm not too sure.

Looking forward to the rest
Did you get The Noise as well!? Honestly I thought I was going round the twist!

Yes there is definitely a Disney law somewhere that says MK must be the first day

Thank you!
bootsie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
clyde106
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by bootsie View Post
Did you get The Noise as well!? Honestly I thought I was going round the twist!
Thank you!
Yes we suffered with The Noise™ in AKL in 2017 and had to get maintenance round. There was something rattling in the AC vent in our room. When you notice thing like that they just seem to get louder and louder!
clyde106 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Nice that you got free breakfast, but disappointing that you could only get chips and guacamole and not cheap either! Great first day though.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good day at MK but such a shame about your food choices hope they get better

Joan
Old 13 Jun 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

Great day I agree MK should be first! Pecos is fab ..shame about dinner tho
Old 18 Jun 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

What a shame about the tacos, I'd have been so mad after waiting for so long.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Joosebug1987
Very Serious Dibber

What a fab looking first full day! I too believe MK is law on first day and I'm hoping for a ferryboat approach too! Glad you enjoyed the burger but shame about your Bahama Breeze disappointment - rude waiter should really have offered to cancel the drinks when only offering one vegan choice in my opinion. Looking forward to reading the rest :-) x
Joosebug1987 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List