Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jun 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

Mobile

100% keep saving. We’ve used them many times to go in school holidays and this year I’ve even managed to get LGW - MCO direct in UC for 5 of us the weekend before Xmas.

Below is a screenshot of August/September 2019 from a website called rewardflightfinder. The shaded squared show where there are 4 PE direct LGW -MCO seats available.

I know that this is for 2019 and you’re looking for 2020 but it does show that there is availability the last 2 weeks of August into the 1week of September 😁

Old 19 Jun 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
kennycapes
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Yes - I booked the first part as soon as it same available and the second like wise.

Did that last time to - LGW to MCO on day it came out, and could only get MIA to LHR back - booked soon as released, and keeped checking back for a while to see if MCO to LGW came avaialbe, but then stopped looking and build MIA into our plans.

I found the app better than website, and ringing up is helpful too - they do check all options and dates / classes and offer advice.
I've downloaded the app and would like to know how you found it better.

It only seems to report back on that exact date i enter where as the web site shows dates either side the ones you pick.

Therefore if i put in the 5th aug 2020 PE LGW to MCO on the web it shows no seats on that day but does show availability on the 6th. where as the APP just say "sorry no seats" and i have to manually change the date to the 6th and try again.

Am i doing this right.

seems like i would have to check all dates individually and all routes.
August 2020 CANCELLED AKL, Aug 2023 - First time on site, lets try this again
kennycapes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by inkiboo View Post
It’s not nonsense. They do release some at that time so if you want to get them before others, the 11 month rule works well.
The poster made out like the only way to get seats is to be online the very first day flights are released which is absolute nonsense. From personal experience they often don't put reward seats up until 5-7 days after first release and then seats become available all through the year too.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by inkiboo View Post
It’s not nonsense. They do release some at that time so if you want to get them before others, the 11 month rule works well.
The posted in question said you HAVE to buy exactly 11 months in advance.

Whilst that may give you a great chance, you certainly don't absolutely HAVE to do that.

As I've already said - we've got 4 * PE flights into and out of MCO in the August Summer holidays, booking just a few weeks before, and there's still some availability for this Summer too.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

We booked for a family of 4 (+2 adults - my 25 year old adult daughter and her partner) August 14th- August 28th this year successfully.

The four of us flying out on the 1300 flight (Eldest daughter and partner on the 12.35 flight, so they'll be there just over 20 minutes before us) and the four of us flying back on the 28th (Eldest Daughter and her partner are staying an extra week).

We were able to get Upper Class miles flights on the way out with no problem, and Premium Economy on the way back with no problem (just being flexible with dates; the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club rep on the phone was very helpful). Eldest Daughter and her partner got Upper Class miles flights on the way back, as they were in September.

As a bonus, we were able to upgrade our Premium Economy return flights to Upper Class with miles as availability opened over the year, anyway.

So don't give up!
Andy C is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
inkiboo
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
The posted in question said you HAVE to buy exactly 11 months in advance.

Whilst that may give you a great chance, you certainly don't absolutely HAVE to do that.

As I've already said - we've got 4 * PE flights into and out of MCO in the August Summer holidays, booking just a few weeks before, and there's still some availability for this Summer too.
If it said HAVE then apologies, because it is certainly not an absolute.

Looking at 11 months is handy if the flights come up but they are released throughout the year (or sometimes not at all).
inkiboo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

I got my upper class / economy, school holiday reward seats at 7 months prior to departure. These flights should have cost me around £12k (2ad, 2ch), but cost me £1.5k in taxes, so yes, definitely worth it!

Edited at 04:47 PM.
loola30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Was collecting for nearly 10 years before we had enough points for three of us to use and managed to get flights during October half term this year on the first attempt. We may of course have just been luck and if it takes another 10 years we won’t be tied to school holidays 😁

I’d have thought it might be slightly easier in the summer as you may have more opportunity to be a bit flexible we had almost no flexibility in October
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bertiebear View Post
I’ve got just over 100000 at the mo and hoping to use what I will have added in august 2021 if not will keep saving for somewhere else. I’ve been looking on and off on reward seat finder and there’s defo been some. Just who get there first suppose.
Not all the reward seats show on reward seat finder. I'd been monitoring this and our return flights were available yesterday, not on reward seat finder but available on VA website.

All booked now for may 20

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Malificent
Imagineer

Mobile

Try calling the flying club rather than looking online. They can look at different options for you and get the most out of you miles.
We have had flights in varying school Holidays so it is doable.