Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Jun 19, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

I've been a couple of times while I enjoyed it I probably wouldn't want to go again. Like already said there's a very very different vibe at night very seedy. By day avoiding the bulldog cafes and red light district there's plenty to do but it's expensive and imho nicer cities to visit.
Old 11 Jun 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

I was there last month. Went with pretty low expectations but had a great time. Lovely scenery, great public transport and some very nice and reasonable places to eat if you stray slightly outside of the main tourist areas.

We were there during the celebrations when Ajax won the league and even then we felt very safe and didn't see any trouble.

Some of the streets heading towards the red light district are a bit reminiscent of Benidorm but it is what it is.
Canal tour was lovely and interesting, Ann Frank Haus was a must do, loved the Foodhallen & Museum of sex was very funny if you're not too prudish.
Hmr89 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

went 2-3 times a year between 1998 and 2008, but not been recently (since we started going to florida, strangely!) but we're off for 5 nights there next week!

i love the place, and there's so much to do there (aside from the obvious things it gets a reputation for) - we got tickets for the bodyworlds exhibition, and will probably buy a couple of days on an iamsterdam card for a couple of culture days

the main thing ive noticed is how expensive it is to stay in the centrum area now... prices have more than doubled in the last 10 years for even the basic hotels...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post

We went a couple of years ago, first time for me. We definitely enjoyed it very much.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We drove over two years ago via Ypres staying in the Utihoorn area which was stunning ( but too far out sadly without a car)
Amsterdam is a pretty, walkable city and you can definitely avoid the red light area if you choose.
Amsterdam is very multicultural so food options are varied and cheap and cheerful or higher end.
Anne Frank Haus has changed very much since I first went in 2001 I think they let too many people in at a time now but you must book on line and go early to avoid the crowds.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Astrid
Imagineer

Astrid's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I love Amsterdam! But them I’m a bit biased being half Dutch!

There is so much to do there and lots of little museums tucked away (the Handbag Museum is really good).

However, there is much more to Holland than just Amsterdam! I visit Den Haag (The Hague) 3/4 times a year and that is a beautiful City too with lots to see and do.

October '89 - Quality Inn; March '99 & March '01 - Comfort Inn LBV; March '02 - ASMu; May '03 - Royal Plaza, Hard Rock & Polynesian;
December '03 - Grand Marriot, Hard Rock & Dolphin; May '04 - Dolphin & WDW Yacht Club
October '05 - Hard Rock & Villa; May/June '07 - Villa & RPH; Feb '09 - Villa; Oct/Nov '13 - Villa
April '18 - Hard Rock; Sept ‘19 - Villa
Astrid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Have been many times to Amsterdam. I second all the comments above.

Amsterdam is very easy to get from Schiphol to the town centre. Double decker trains what's not to like.

Actually if you are thinking of easy weekends away it is a helpful thing I think to always look at how easy the trip from.the airport is. Esp with Ryanair or EJ or some of the smaller carriers as they often use slightly more remote or less connected airport's imho.
Old 26 Jun 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
stockport1965
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Have been many times to Amsterdam. I second all the comments above.

Amsterdam is very easy to get from Schiphol to the town centre. Double decker trains what's not to like.

Actually if you are thinking of easy weekends away it is a helpful thing I think to always look at how easy the trip from.the airport is. Esp with Ryanair or EJ or some of the smaller carriers as they often use slightly more remote or less connected airport's imho.
We flew with EJ to Schipol.

Have been twice and love the architecture. Not a museum fan so can't comment on these. It's so beautiful and would go back again anytime.
stockport1965 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry to jump in but has anyone travelled away from Amsterdam using buses? We know most buses there are cashless but not sure if we can use our credit cards.

Any insight? Cheers
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Not about buses as such, but have had some problems using visa / MasterCard in Netherlands more generally. But with petrol, parking, mainly automated payment systems. I think (and my thinking might be out of date) but there is a different credit card system in play there.

On the flip side I know we have paid for food etc and in some restaurants etc with our Caxton cards.

The only thing I can think of is they werent automated payments in the same way.
Might be worth a dig on Google or ask Astrid ^^^.

Edited at 10:13 PM.