Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 May 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
turkishrebel
Proud to wear my Ears

Visiting Washington DC

Hello everybody, just enquiring if anyone has been to Washington DC and if they have any advice/tips? flying into Dulles and not sure whats the best form of transport from there to our hotel?
any other tips for site seeing/eating/shopping would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Steve
turkishrebel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
shysarah
Very Serious Dibber

shysarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I'm interested in this also as DH & I go in October...
Old 2 May 19, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Mobile

Dulles is a weird old fashioned airport imho .for us it wasnt that good an experience.
Queuing for security wasnt good on return on arrival signage was bad. We couldn't get on to the wifi so couldn't order an uber .ordinary cab is $100 or so (2017 when we went )
We took the bus to the metro station in the end .took about an hour I think .
Dulles is about 30 miles out of DC I think .

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

I don’t know when you are visiting but we fly into Dulles 3 weeks today so can update on return if that helps. We are actually staying in Alexandria and using the Metro to travel into Washington. However as we are travelling around after Washington I decided to collect the rental car from the airport as travel from Dulles to Our hotel was not that convenient.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Mobile

Watch out for the road system around the airport .we picked up our car in DC but returned it to the airport(on fumes ! That's another story and nearly lead to divorce ! )
There are toll lanes and non toll lanes all on the same carriage way

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi
We were there last October and flew into and out of Dulles airport we booked a private transfer each way ( we travelled back from Baltimore). Loved DC used the hop on hop off bus but to be honest you can walk to a lot of places. We were there for 4 nights then travelled by train to Baltimore to pick up a cruise. The train service was excellent .
Old 2 May 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We booked a private transfer for the airport and used the metro or the bus for everything else.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We went in 2017 and I did a trip report (link in signature). Getting a cab from the airport is easy, but there are public transport options available - think they involve a bus and metro.

Getting around the city is easy, the metro works like our underground and they have oyster style cards now which you load with credit. Walking is also easy as they have a simple block layout which makes navigation simple.

Soooo many free attractions to see! We would highly recommend the Capitol Building tour which you can book in advance and is also free.
Lizzim is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We were there in Sept last year (not Dulles) although I did drive out to the Air and Space museum at Dulles and found the drive easy.

We stayed out at Tysons Corner (Hyatt) - mainly as we had a car and parking and hotels in the centre very expensive - we loved the hotel connected to the Metro and a very nice mall. Metro - we bought our passes and topped them up on the machines at the station - very easy. Online advice suggested buying from a store, but the one we went to had none left. Metro was very easy to use.

I did White House Tour - interesting, but just really a tour of reception rooms in the East Wing - you have to apply via a senator, would I rush back, no, but it was great coming out of the white house down the path and out of the gate.

The Capitol Building tour for me was probably the highlight of Washington, and I went to the House of Representatives viewing gallery after the tour, although they were not sitting (Friday).

We visited the 9/11 memorial at the Pentagon, and I never knew you could also do a Pentagon tour - I might do this in Sept this year.
We also visited Arlington which is only a stop away from the Pentagon if I recall correctly.

We also loved the Washington Monument, Lincoln and other memorials and the Smithsonian Mall area. My wife is not really into museums, again I visited air and space but there are so much more that can be done.

IT's a lovely city with great buildings to view, and easy walking or on Metro. We are going back to finish our road trip this year.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Mobile

The zoo is good .go early morning to see the pandas

[R]