Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Jun 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
grannyed
Very Serious Dibber

Road trip Washington DC and Capital region

Has anyone done this. We are thinking of doing one and would like more info. A trip report if one is available would be great.
grannyed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

Washington, Philadelphia and the historic area around Virginia & Pennsylvania are great areas if you’re interested in colonial times and the civil war sites. I spent about 10 days touring round - especially enjoyed Jamestown Settlement and Colonial Williamsburg. Gettysburg was very moving too.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Reunion
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We have family in DC and some of our favourite road trips have been:

Skyline Drive - 100 miles through Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. Fantastic scenery.

Anapolis (Naval Academy), beautiful architecture, across the Chesapeake Bay bridge & a couple of nights at Ocean City

There is lots to do in and around the Capital as well.
Reunion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Washington itself is excellent and the Smithsonian museums as well as the Zoo are free. If you want to go the Capitol I suggest you book in advance. We have stayed in Alexandria old town and used the Metro to go into Washington itself. A visit from there to Mount Vernon is real worth it. As previously said Skyline Drive is worth it we saw two brown bears there last week. We also enjoyed Charlottesville Williamsburg and Chincoteague were really good. As for Annapolis if you visit the naval academy they only accept the passport as ID not our driving licences.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
paulaandhappy
Very Serious Dibber

We went from Washington down through Shenandoah staying at NP lodge there for a couple of nights then down BLue Ridge Parkway to Roanoke. Then headed east towards The Outer Banks staying Roanoke Rapids on way. From Outer banks to Williamsburg and then back to Washington.
The Outer Banks are lovely we were supposed to be there 4 nights but had to leave early as there was a mandatory evacuation due to hurricane. Is on our list of places to return to as we we didn’t get to do all we planned there.

:pop:June 06 Imperial swan, Aug 07 Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando, Aug 08 Crowne Plaza Universal, Feb 09Fairfield Inn & Suites Int Dr,Nov 09 Extended Stay Deluxe Orlando Convention Centre Universal Boulevard, Sept 10 Homewood Suites Sept 11 Extended Stay Deluxe Universal BoulevardFeb 12 Homewood Suites Int DriveFeb 13 Comfort Inn & Suites Canada Ave Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando Aug 2014 Enclave Suites Feb 2016 Comfort Inn and Suites Canada Ave April 2017 AllStars Music&Staysky Suites
paulaandhappy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Reunion View Post
Skyline Drive - 100 miles through Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. Fantastic scenery.

Anapolis (Naval Academy), beautiful architecture, across the Chesapeake Bay bridge & a couple of nights at Ocean City

There is lots to do in and around the Capital as well.
Last year - we flew into Baltimore, 1 night (not much to do there and BA crew never said much nice about it) and we drove to NY for the US Open Tennis - stopped in Philly which looked nice. Went to Nantasket Beach, then Syracuse, then Niagra, then Harrisburg and finished with 4 or 5 nights in Washington - which we loved.
Day we left we went to Annapolis - had evening flight - beautiful town and would have liked to spend some more time there.
I really enjoyed Washington. Did White House Tour (good but not a must do), US Capitol Tour - fantatstic, went to Arlington, Pentagon 9/11 memorial, national monument, mall, Smithsonian Air & Space museums x 2 - loved it all.

This Sept plan is to go back, into Dulles, then do Skyline drive to Roanoke, couple of nights Gatlinburg and Smokey Mts, 3 nights Nashville, 1 night Atlanta, 3 nights Tybee Island or Hilton head, 2 nights Charlotte and 4 nights Washington.

Hoping to Pentagon tour this time.
However, finding hotels are very expensive.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I did something like this about 5 years ago.

Flew into DC then drove to Williamsburg, down to the Smokies back up and visited Shenandoah, Gettysburg before flying out of NY. There’s a link to my trip report in my signature.

Great holiday and loved this side of the USA, any questions just let me know.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
grannyed
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks everyone for responding.
We are actually hoping that we can arrange this holiday and go during September so it will be quite short notice.
I have some health issues and can’t really book anything more than three months in advance any more. Seeing the consultant in two weeks and if I am given the go ahead I would like to have plans on hold so that I can just confirm
grannyed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

We are doing Washington, Williamsburg and Virginia beach at the beginning of July. I may do a trip report! But if you have questions after we get back, I'd be happy to answer any.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
grannyed
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you Glee Fan, I will bear that in mind. How long are you going for?