Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 13 Jun 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
beeftinkler
Very Serious Dibber

Disabled Blue badge @ Disney / Universal

We have a blue (disabled) parking badge for our dd. We have never taken it with us to Orlando before (didn't think it would 'work' outside the UK). Has anyone ever used theirs at Universal / Disney? If so, what are the benefits? Thanks
beeftinkler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by beeftinkler View Post
We have a blue (disabled) parking badge for our dd. We have never taken it with us to Orlando before (didn't think it would 'work' outside the UK). Has anyone ever used theirs at Universal / Disney? If so, what are the benefits? Thanks
So I have a blue badge but I pay the $15 and get a placard every time I go to Florida. You can use your blue badge but due to the hologram on the card there are certain places where they may refuse to accept it. Personally I'd rather not risk it. To get the placard you just need to send proof of your Blue badge. octaxcol/disabled-parking-placards/ has the form and email it along with photos of your passport and both sides blue badge to AJReyes@octaxcol.com. You can order at 60 days before but can email in before that just have to pay at 60 days

In terms of Disney and Universal they have specific disabled parking areas that are closer to the park that standard parking. They both accept the blue badge but as said its other car parks really that might have issues.

Edited at 11:20 AM.
gismo1554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

We also get a temporary tag from the link in the post above. The only benefit is it gets you closer to the park entrance. I have seen UK cards at the parks and understand that they are accepted but they are not recognised outside the parks. On one occasion at Magic Kingdom we were asked to park in preferred parking because there was a shortage of disabled parking spaces and they were reserving those for wheel chair users only. To be honest the only real benefit is being able to have the doors of your vehicle open fully unrestricted which is what we need to get our lad out. We have requested an end of line space before which they did let us use.

dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
beeftinkler
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
So I have a blue badge but I pay the $15 and get a placard every time I go to Florida. You can use your blue badge but due to the hologram on the card there are certain places where they may refuse to accept it. Personally I'd rather not risk it. To get the placard you just need to send proof of your Blue badge. octaxcol/disabled-parking-placards/ has the form and email it along with photos of your passport and both sides blue badge to AJReyes@octaxcol.com. You can order at 60 days before but can email in before that just have to pay at 60 days

In terms of Disney and Universal they have specific disabled parking areas that are closer to the park that standard parking. They both accept the blue badge but as said its other car parks really that might have issues.
Does the $15 cover shipping the placard to a UK address?
beeftinkler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Does the $15 cover shipping the placard to a UK address?
Yes it does. Also it covers multiple trips if you travel to Florida more than once a year. You just have to contact them to ask for them to issue one for the new period. I had one last July that was for September and then contacted them in Feb to sort out one for May and didn't have to pay again.
Old 14 Jun 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

the FL placard (red tag) will be issued for 90 days from the date you submit payment. So don't apply too early (or, obviously too late for shipping times)

It's actually $17 ($15 for placard, $2 processing fee if you pay by credit card)

regarding the form that was linked in the first reply above, you only need to fill in the top part (outlined) and the dates of stay right underneath it. For numbers you can't enter just enter "NON-US", there are threads regarding how to fill the request in.
you can also send a request via the tax collector webpage, and they'll email you the procedure, and how to apply.

You will find many posts or thread telling that disney will honor your UK blue badge. This is true, as of now, and as far as parks parking lots are concerned.

BUT there is a program, enabling us to get a placard that's 100% approved and accepted. For the sake of $15, why go the 99% accepted way ... getting a car towed and fined will, not only cost an arm and leg, but also put the disabled person in a tight spot when they don't find their car at the end of the day

bottomline, get a FL placard

I've used the Orange County tax collector for a few years (osceola county previously before they stopped)
my latest *order* was made on June 4th, documents and payment on that day, and the placard arrived on June 11th. That was rather fast.
If you need another placard within 12 months of the first one, you'll get it for free.

For Disney, you will get complimentary parking at deluxe resort's valet parking. You'll still need to tip the person who will take care of your car though

If you're staying onsite, you get free parking at your disney hotel, and that will still be true after jan 1st 2020 when even us brits will need to pay at disney hotels.

You'll still pay for parking at universal hotels and citywalk though, but you sure park up much closer at citywalk (as always, blue parking bays are on a limited, first come first serve basis)

for some parkings offsite, having a disabled tag may get you free parking, but you need to make sure (usually written on the meter)

But, most important, get a FL disabled tag. Because even though you may be fine using your UK blue tag, it's always best being safe than sorry.

Edited at 05:53 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
beeftinkler
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for the replies, just about getting my head around it. I will do the application for the FL placard as soon as the dates (90 day validity) tally-up.

When you say we can get complimentary valet parking at Disney's deluxe resort hotels, does that mean we can just drive into the Contemporary resort and tell the guard at the gate we are valet parking to then get the monorail to MK?
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for the replies, just about getting my head around it. I will do the application for the FL placard as soon as the dates (90 day validity) tally-up.

When you say we can get complimentary valet parking at Disney's deluxe resort hotels, does that mean we can just drive into the Contemporary resort and tell the guard at the gate we are valet parking to then get the monorail to MK?
No. You ll only be allowed into resort car parks if u have an adr or are staying there.
They re v clear on this at its limited to 3 hrs.
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List