Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 21 Jun 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Batman1
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
Thinking of going to Dublin middle July but the hotels located where I think are central are around 400 pound for 2 nights the flights are cheap but I thought the hotels were extortionate...any recommendations please
Dublin is way overpriced and that's before you eat or drink.

It's the last place I would consider, and I'm Irish.

There are much much nicer places to go in Ireland for a few days.
Batman1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Batman1 View Post
Dublin is way overpriced and that's before you eat or drink.

It's the last place I would consider, and I'm Irish.

There are much much nicer places to go in Ireland for a few days.
You could say the same about London compared with other places in England though ... there's just something about certain cities that draws people
I get what you are saying as although I grew up in London my Mum is from Dublin so I've always spent time there but I can see whilst London is iconic and a big draw ... I always tell visitors about other places in Britain they should try to see too. Ireland is exactly the same .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
FeFe
VIP Dibber

FeFe's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We stayed at the Arlington hotel in April! It was fantastic. Only place we’ll stay now. Location is amazing
June 14 New York and Summer Bay
May 17 DIBB villa and Hard Rock
March 18 Hotel Metro New York
October 18 Majorca
June 19 Dibb Villa and Hard Rock
June 2022 dibb villa and Hard Rock
June 2024 Heron Villa again hard rock and poss beach club for couple of nights
FeFe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Batman1
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Indeed and it depends on what you're looking for in a break.
However, London is a very good city to visit and has lots to see and do. You can't compare London and Dublin.
Dublin has nothing nice really to see or do unless you're into drinking (in my opinion).
If the OP wants a city break to Dublin then that's great. Choose a hotel and lap up the hen and stag atmosphere around temple bar.

On the other hand, if they want a nice relaxing break for a few days, there are much better options.
Batman1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
However, London is a very good city to visit and has lots to see and do. You can't compare London and Dublin.
Dublin has nothing nice really to see or do unless you're into drinking (in my opinion).
If the OP wants a city break to Dublin then that's great. Choose a hotel and lap up the hen and stag atmosphere around temple bar.

On the other hand, if they want a nice relaxing break for a few days, there are much better options.
I totally disagree with you. There is lots to see and do in Dublin other than drink! It is a great city to visit for a weekend as it is fairly compact and points of interest aren’t too far from each other.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

We stayed at The Jurys Inn, great location and nice hotel but ask for a courtyard facing room as some rooms overlook the main road
Old 21 Jun 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

That's like looking at Leicester Square on a Saturday night and assuming that's what London is all about . Dublin has plenty to see and do culturally, historically, theatre , etc just as London does ... not to mention sport , water activities ... before you even think about pubs.

duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
That's like looking at Leicester Square on a Saturday night and assuming that's what London is all about . Dublin has plenty to see and do culturally, historically, theatre , etc just as London does ... not to mention sport , water activities ... before you even think about pubs.
My parents are both Irish and Irish people are very negative about Dublin and think it’s a kip but imo that’s just because they are too close to it to see the reasons it might attract tourists. I remember moving to London for uni and people who grew up there told me it was boring! I mean if you can’t find something to do in London 😄 but being from there they couldn’t see what it offers to an outsider either.

I’ve been to Dublin dozens of times, I admit I don’t like the Temple Bar/city centre area but for a first timer they are probably must sees. It’s very expensive and even the airport hotels are pricey, I’ve never paid less that £75 and can get a hotel in Heathrow for £40 for comparison. The Arlington, Ashling, Tipperary House, Maldron Smithfield and Harcourt hotel were some city centre hotels that were reasonable enough. We stayed in those Jervis apartments before and found the area around the Luas stop very dodgy when we were walking home at night, apartment were nice though but it did put us off going back.

The Ibis out near Red Cow was the cheapest we ever got. We took a bus from the airport for €5 and used the Luas into the city. It worked out well but if you plan to be out late at night it wouldn’t work because I think the Luas stops around midnight.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
My parents are both Irish and Irish people are very negative about Dublin and think it’s a kip but imo that’s just because they are too close to it to see the reasons it might attract tourists. I remember moving to London for uni and people who grew up there told me it was boring! I mean if you can’t find something to do in London 😄 but being from there they couldn’t see what it offers to an outsider either.

I’ve been to Dublin dozens of times, I admit I don’t like the Temple Bar/city centre area but for a first timer they are probably must sees. It’s very expensive and even the airport hotels are pricey, I’ve never paid less that £75 and can get a hotel in Heathrow for £40 for comparison. The Arlington, Ashling, Tipperary House, Maldron Smithfield and Harcourt hotel were some city centre hotels that were reasonable enough. We stayed in those Jervis apartments before and found the area around the Luas stop very dodgy when we were walking home at night, apartment were nice though but it did put us off going back.

The Ibis out near Red Cow was the cheapest we ever got. We took a bus from the airport for €5 and used the Luas into the city. It worked out well but if you plan to be out late at night it wouldn’t work because I think the Luas stops around midnight.
I’m Irish and live in Dublin and am not negative about it nor are any of my friends. Please don’t generalise.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
schnauzer
Excited about Disney

Hi, Ive just returned from a weekend in Dublin. I booked a package with Last Minute.com for £200pp staying at the Maldron on Pearse Street. Lovely hotel with fab staff and great location. Was able to walk easily to Temple Bar, etc. Would definately recommend this hotel. We loved Dublin, you'll have a fab time x