Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 Jun 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Griff_389
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
That's exactly my point, the same people in the same line on the same ride with the same capacity. You basically make the decision whether to allow some last minute guests to queue jump or not. Big benefit for the few that snap up cancelled fastpasses, or small benefit to the rest of the queue because if you don't cancel, theres nobody legitimately queue jumping ahead of them.

With paper fastpasses technically it was the same swings and roundabouts, but I was able to see the people that benefitted and selfishly that made me feel better. The facelessness of the computerised system takes that away.

Booking stuff you might not use and denying others opportunity to do so, is a different question altogether, I'm simply saying that if you have a fastpass booked which you realise you won't use, cancelling it doesn't make you any better than somebody that doesn't... in my opinion, and I'm quite happy if you want to think differently.
Thinking differently is what forums are all about. :-)

If I had a fast pass I’d be off enjoying another ride/attraction while waiting for the time slot. Without one I’d have to stand in that queue for an extended amount of time. It may not make a queue any slower potentially, but it helps guests enjoy more rides.
Griff_389 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
monkfish72
Trying for More Ears

You call it fast pass, I call it queue jumping

The true spirit of Disney is to book a fast pass, but don't use it and queue for the ride in standby

égalité!
monkfish72 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

The amount of Fast Passes which are issued factor in a large number of no shows due to previous tend analyst of historical data.
This allows more people to book on each attraction giving guests more opportunity to get a FastPass rather than limiting the number down to the max queue time per fp queue.

If Disney were to want to ensure all guests who booked a fp rode the ride and not have to over allocate they would simply add a penalty system to prevent no shows.

Overall, it does not have any major impact people no showing as the expected number are still riding. That's the beauty of forecasting using data.

Edited at 12:38 AM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We planned it the other way - we got our ‘hard to get’ FPs first and then did the rest of the plan around those. Then we just made sure that we didn’t change those particular bits of the plan, unless we were prepared to risk not going on that ride at all.

In reality this only applies to very, very few rides, so there was still plenty of flexibility.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
I grabbed a FP for FoP at, nearly, 60 days out when park opening times were extended. It was for our arrival day and I didn't think that we would be going to the park as we would be too tired - but I booked it anyway.

This evening I released it as I have definitely decided we won't be going. By doing this I have, in fact, enabled someone staying offsite to get a FP for FoP as there is now much less than 30 days to go.

On top of that, we have booked FPs for every morning that we will be onsite - even if we might not go. As stated earlier in this thread, I have paid a premium to stay onsite and part of that is to get FP at 60+ - so I intend to take advantage of that. If people staying offsite are disappointed at the pickings at 30 days then, I'm afraid, that is their bad luck. they had the same opportunity as I did to book onsite and get them earlier, but they chose not to.
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
I grabbed a FP for FoP at, nearly, 60 days out when park opening times were extended. It was for our arrival day and I didn't think that we would be going to the park as we would be too tired - but I booked it anyway.

This evening I released it as I have definitely decided we won't be going. By doing this I have, in fact, enabled someone staying offsite to get a FP for FoP as there is now much less than 30 days to go.

On top of that, we have booked FPs for every morning that we will be onsite - even if we might not go. As stated earlier in this thread, I have paid a premium to stay onsite and part of that is to get FP at 60+ - so I intend to take advantage of that. If people staying offsite are disappointed at the pickings at 30 days then, I'm afraid, that is their bad luck. they had the same opportunity as I did to book onsite and get them earlier, but they chose not to.
Unfortunately we are not financially able to afford to stay on site and so make do with booking fastpasses at 30 days. I have no problem with those on site being able to book at 60 days because as you say you have paid for the privilege. We have never had a problem booking fastpasses for the popular attractions even if it means sometimes not getting them until much nearer the time and even on the day.

Edited at 08:03 PM.
JudgeJ26 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Originally Posted by JudgeJ26 View Post
Unfortunately we are not financially able to afford to stay on site and so make do with booking fastpasses at 30 days. I have no problem with those on site being able to book at 60 days because as you say you have paid for the privilege. We have never had a problem booking fastpasses for the popular attractions even if it means sometimes not getting them until much nearer the time and even on the day.
That's a fair point although, with the free dining I didn't think that our stay worked out much more than if we had stayed offsite TBH. When you are in the parks 3 adult sized appetites can be very costly! Throw in the free parking (which, of course, is going) or transport, the gift card, memory maker and it was a similar cost to a reasonable hotel.

Our last 4 days of park tickets are when we are offsite and so I have been booking at 30 days. Other than FoP, SDD and ToT (due to the refurbishment) everything else was available and I still might be able to get one of those nearer the time - although we don't intend going back to DHS during these 4 days as, at the moment, it's just half a park.

Edited at 07:53 AM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Unfortunately even paying a premium to stay onsite doesn’t get you the FPs you want if you aren’t doing a long stay. We have 5 nights and could only get FOP and Slinky at really awkward times, Slinky only on the evening of our last day. I have to admit to feeling quite grumpy about it as one reason to do a split stay this time was to make it easier to get FPs
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Griff_389
Very Serious Dibber

Ah the old, "I've paid more" reason.

It's nothing to do with booking at 60 days, 30 days, or on the day.
It's about taking an allocation when you suspect you won't be using them anyway, thus preventing someone else (whether they're staying on-site or off-site) from maybe enjoying them.
To be honest, if you didn't book them it's unlikely an off-site guest would get them, but another on-site guest could, and have a good experience while on their holiday too.

Perhaps next time i'm at a buffet i'll take all the food, just in case I get hungry later down the line. Doesn't matter if anyone else wants any food. It's mine, I've paid for it.
Griff_389 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Originally Posted by Griff_389 View Post
Ah the old, "I've paid more" reason.

It's nothing to do with booking at 60 days, 30 days, or on the day.
It's about taking an allocation when you suspect you won't be using them anyway, thus preventing someone else (whether they're staying on-site or off-site) from maybe enjoying them.
To be honest, if you didn't book them it's unlikely an off-site guest would get them, but another on-site guest could, and have a good experience while on their holiday too.

Perhaps next time i'm at a buffet i'll take all the food, just in case I get hungry later down the line. Doesn't matter if anyone else wants any food. It's mine, I've paid for it.
Yes, I suspect I won't be using them, but then again, I might be. If I don't use them I will release them and someone else can book them.

Yes, you've paid for it and you can do what you want. If you take all the food then I guess the next person along will just wait until the kitchen brings out some more, fresh, food. You are probably doing them favour.