Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Jun 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I would recommend them to get out of their comfort zone at least a bit, driving such a small car over there would be scary imo. Having a small SUV or similar would be beneficial. Doesn't take long to get used to.

Maybe suggest that they hire a 4x4 here to try before they go for a few days?
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

While most rentals at compact or above will have sensors and reversing cameras, not all do. I do not think any economy cars would my current rental does not.

Do not feel you need a bigger car just because there are SUV's etc on the road. There will also be tractor trailers and you are not going to get a car as big as that.

Full size and above SUV's are built on truck platforms. They do not meet the same safety standards as cars and many are more likely to tip over.

If you want to be safe as possible, drive carefully and conservatively, abide by the speed limit and know the rules of the road. And know where you are going! And it is much easy to drive within the speed limit in a smaller car with a smaller engine.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Do not feel you need a bigger car just because there are SUV's etc on the road. There will also be tractor trailers and you are not going to get a car as big as that.

I see the point, but I'd rather get intimidated by just 10% of the traffic, and be eye level with 80% of the traffic around me, than getting intimidated by 90% of the traffic around me

You're right that, no matter how big you drive, there will always be bigger.
But it's always best, be it only for confidence, to
drive something that will be a comparable size to the vast majority of wheels around you.

when you exit a parking garage, after a long flight, and have to drive on the *wrong* side of the road, in a car you do not know, follow signs and find your way around, having a car that's the size of the average ride on the road, will take some of the stress away. having a car that's smaller than 90% of the competition will add to the stress

and in that respect, a bigger car may be easier to drive than a smaller one.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Reversing cameras were made compulsory in all cars sold in the USA from may, 2018. So as were heading towards the later end of 2019, I would suggest it would be unlucky not to get one now.

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
While most rentals at compact or above will have sensors and reversing cameras, not all do. I do not think any economy cars would my current rental does not.

Full size and above SUV's are built on truck platforms. They do not meet the same safety standards as cars and many are more likely to tip over.

If you want to be safe as possible, drive carefully and conservatively, abide by the speed limit and know the rules of the road. And know where you are going! And it is much easy to drive within the speed limit in a smaller car with a smaller engine.
The above i mainly agree with no point having a bigger car your uncomfortable with to just not feel intimidated. It robbing peter to pay paul. Also you have to think of the cost.

Pick what ever you can closest to what makes you feel comfortable. I have driven lots of different things from A Chevy cavalier with two doors which was no bigger than a fiesta all the way through to an explorer and all in between. Some times having a smaller car with the large roads and parking is brilliant especially when you are not sure where you are going. You don't want to be pulling a last minute lane change in a big suv but can easily dart across lanes with a smaller car.

Personally i don't understand this feeling of intimidation. I drive a pick up truck in the UK and am just as comfortable driving my wife's fiesta. but i have enough confidence in my driving ability to feel confident in what ever i drive as i imagine people hiring strange cars should.

It could just be me and it probably is but i just don't understand how big cars are intimidating. I would understand if you were driving round Paris that stuff is nuts.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by w513mfs View Post
Reversing cameras were made compulsory in all cars sold in the USA from may, 2018. So as were heading towards the later end of 2019, I would suggest it would be unlucky not to get one now.

The above i mainly agree with no point having a bigger car your uncomfortable with to just not feel intimidated. It robbing peter to pay paul. Also you have to think of the cost.

Pick what ever you can closest to what makes you feel comfortable. I have driven lots of different things from A Chevy cavalier with two doors which was no bigger than a fiesta all the way through to an explorer and all in between. Some times having a smaller car with the large roads and parking is brilliant especially when you are not sure where you are going. You don't want to be pulling a last minute lane change in a big suv but can easily dart across lanes with a smaller car.

Personally i don't understand this feeling of intimidation. I drive a pick up truck in the UK and am just as comfortable driving my wife's fiesta. but i have enough confidence in my driving ability to feel confident in what ever i drive as i imagine people hiring strange cars should.

It could just be me and it probably is but i just don't understand how big cars are intimidating. I would understand if you were driving round Paris that stuff is nuts.
So you do the intimidating inyour pickup?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

RE: reversing cameras. I will have to check the year of this Fiesta but it looks very new. It definitely doesn't have a reversing camera. I seldom actually get an economy car even if that's what I pay for but this definitely feels economy all the way (and I prefer small cars)
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

With reference to car size and intimidation feeling.
We hired a Mustang during a visit a few years ago.
It was OK until one night driving down the I4 to Championsgate, we ended up in the middle of three lanes in very heavy traffic in the rain. On both sides of us for a few miles were 18 wheelers, their wheels were level with the side windows and it felt like you could put your arm out the windows and touch them. Now this was not a pleasant experience with the wheels whirring around next to you at 70 mph!
I know the Mustang was not small, but the low height was the issue.

From then on each year we hired either a full size sedan or an SUV. For us, the higher seating position and being surrounded by more metal has a comfort feeling. I know that small cars are just as safe, with airbags etc ( in the U.K. Mrs PPM has a Yaris and I have a new model Corolla so smallish Cars.), but in the US where cars are generally a bit larger, and Trucks are way bigger, we feel safer in a bigger car. No scientific reason just a personal preference.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

When we don't book a minivan (usually buying stuff for the house) we book 2-door economy with Alamo. Never seen anything 2-door at Alamo and usually get a Compact which has - on occasion gone from small-ish to the old faithful minivan, depending on the time of year.

I have never felt the least bit vulnerable or underpowered in the Compact cars - I've never had an SUV over there or felt the need to. As my mom is now struggling to get in/out of the minivan we are looking at alternatives (while still able to get a sink in the back!) so debating vehicles but I'd say if they want a small car get a small car - book economy and see what they can get.

I find it so easy over there - wide roads, easy parking and (in my opinion) much nicer drivers than in the UK so they'll probably be fine by day 3. Might want to talk to them about automatics - that can be a bit daunting your first time if you've never driven one

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The way the locals drive you feel you need a Bradley assault vehicle sometimes. The main problem is there is a lot of large vehicles and the safest way to drive is not just watching the car in front but to see a number of vehicles ahead to see what they are doing.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
So you do the intimidating inyour pickup?
I'm not sure what that intimidating thing is ? Be interesting to see what you think it is.

But i don't think so i feel i drive it the same as my wife's fiesta. I find other people assume i'm gonna push in and be obnoxious just because i have a big car and end up in all sorts of situations which i find more entertaining.

I'm never really in a rush to get anywhere so i'm a laid back driver. especially as i am usually carrying my daughter and dog i like to believe i'm very courteous. I find the problem when i drive it other people in smaller cars who drive crazy and don't make allowances for the size.

I once had a guy in an A3 over take me past a school because i was doing the legal limit of 20MPH and going up a hill from a traffic light start.

was funny when he realised there was a police car at other side of hill.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List