Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Jun 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tobydog View Post
Sounds like a brilliant place, may need to give them a call even if we don't need fuel
Where are you staying?

We mainly use the one on 192/Avalon as we pass it maybe six times a day anyway. There's also one a couple of miles east on 192 opposite Black Lake Road. Also one on the 27 near Posner Park.

As NewtoOrlando says they are all over and we keep spotting new ones every visit.

Mick
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Where are you staying?

We mainly use the one on 192/Avalon as we pass it maybe six times a day anyway. There's also one a couple of miles east on 192 opposite Black Lake Road. Also one on the 27 near Posner Park.

As NewtoOrlando says they are all over and we keep spotting new ones every visit.

Mick
That’s the one we always go to Mick, and then cut down the back down Hartzog to get to Disney quicker 😄

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Sadly I know absolutely less than nothing about pre-loaded cards.

We always use cash for fuel and restaurants and credit card for the likes of Macy's etc. and emergencies.

A month or so ago I started a thread about the substantial increase in card skimming in the Orlando area. It was a link to a WFTV news item so reasonably reliable. Some Dibbers don't think skimming is a risk but I've paid cash for gas for as long as I can remember over there.

It's very easy - you simply go into the kiosk and say $30 on pump six please. The gas will stop at $30 and if only takes $27 you go back in for the $3 change. We always use Wawa gas stations. Vey clean and safe with ATMs inside that don't charge for $$$ withdrawals.

Mick
Great advice about how to pay by cash, I will not use any card, pre- paid / credit or debit in a Florida fuel pump the WFTV news report has this as such a huge skimming risk.
Don't put yourself at risk at that and just pay by cash.
Wawa gas stations are really good to use and always one of the cheapest for fuel - together with some bargains for food and drink inside.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
That’s the one we always go to Mick, and then cut down the back down Hartzog to get to Disney quicker 😄
We haven't been to the parks since 2010 but still visit DS a couple of times every holiday. Might give Hartzog a try next time instead of our usual "back way" from Highgate to Sherberth. Over the past 10 years Sherberth has changed from being a country lane to the M25

One of our B&BW local shops is at Winter Garden Village and we always use Avalon all the way to Vineland and Daniels. Much nicer drive than the 429.

Mick
Old 18 Jun 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
Great advice about how to pay by cash, I will not use any card, pre- paid / credit or debit in a Florida fuel pump the WFTV news report has this as such a huge skimming risk.
Don't put yourself at risk at that and just pay by cash.
Wawa gas stations are really good to use and always one of the
cheapest for fuel - together with some bargains for food and drink inside.

Not so great advice if you've parked at pump 3 though.

A bit of trivia though. In April $30 will take a Ford Fusion from a range of 80 miles to around 340.

Mick
Old 18 Jun 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tobydog View Post
Not sure if this is the correct area to ask this. My family and I (group of 11) are visiting WDW next may. I was thinking that it may be an idea
to get a pre-paid card for paying for fuel and any other joint bills so that we can load it rather than take a kitty out of our spends at the time. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to whether this is a good idea and if so which cards I should look at. Thanks
If there a group why not put x amought in to a kitty just for fuel ect. Just a idea
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i used a fairfx card every year between 2008 and 2016 as my main spending source, paying for fuel on it and never had a single issue.
(ive now moved to a monzo bank account, but not because i had problems with the fairfx)

last time we went, we only took $200 in cash with us, and barely used it. a good chunk of it was used at duty free on the way home! we used the card for *everything*
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We haven't been to the parks since 2010 but still visit DS a couple of times every holiday. Might give Hartzog a try next time instead of our usual "back way" from Highgate to Sherberth. Over the past 10 years Sherberth has changed from being a country lane to the M25

One of our B&BW local shops is at Winter Garden Village and we always use Avalon all the way to Vineland and Daniels. Much nicer drive than the 429.

Mick
It’s so much easier, we can get from Davenport to Disney in about 15/20 mins using that route, cuts out so much traffic!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
It’s so much easier, we can get from Davenport to Disney in about 15/20 mins using that route, cuts out so much traffic!
I "drove" it this morning on Google maps. We'll give it a real life go next time.

Mick
Old 18 Jun 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

We always use cash for Gas, you do not spend that much on gas anyway even when you are running trips to clearwater ect.
The thing is when you laod you cash on a card what happens when that card does not work ?
OK some will say they have back up cards so do we but that is what they are back up cards, we use them for if we want to book into a hotel some where over night when driving around and for car hire to take there hold.

But if you load your fuel money onto a pre paid and it fails then you have to use other money or back up cards.

Buying fuel is so easy $20 on pump 1 if you do not get $20 in the tank simple go back in and get your change.