Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 18 Jun 19, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
dworrall
New Poster (3)

1 night at Universal - is it the best plan for small children (6 & 9)

Hi - apologies if this question has been asked a million times.

We are heading to Florida early August with 2 children, aged 6&9 and staying off site for 10 days and then cruising for 7 (Royal Caribbean)

Is it worth throwing a night at Universal (mid the first week) to get the express passes for 2 days. I wondered if they would really make a big difference in August for their enjoyment of the Universal parks?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.
dworrall is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
joe 70
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, whilst Universal is doable in August without express passes you will get more done faster and with less queuing and hassle.This will allow you some relaxation by the pool in the afternoon maybe.
Make sure you book one of the main hotels for the express pass though and see if there is a good deal for Club Level at these which not only gives you the benefits of the club room (breakfast , snacks and drinks etc ) but generally a top floor room with good views!
I would say for the ages of your children Royal Pacific Resort may be your best bet but Hard Rock Hotel is also a Fantastic experience.
Hope this helps and have a wonderful holiday.
2018 Aurora Villa Virgins/PBH
2019 POR Here we come!
joe 70 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mydogbaloo
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Yes absolutely, we done this in 2016 and will be doing again next month just for the 1 night.

Like previous post says you can get so much more done and also early entry, we then go back during the afternoon for a chill round the pool and back out for the evening.
mydogbaloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Our DD is 7 for this trip and we are doing exactly this! 👍
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Another yes. .. and a yes re club level.

Even though I am extremely budget conscious in planning and executing vacations, We always have a night in a premium Universal.
It is worth pointing out that double booking of rooms costs money and therefore we do the following (in order to save plenty).
1. Arrive in Orlando late afternoon and Uber to a cheaper hotel for the first night. Ours is the Ramada on IDrive (27 July 2019) and was £60 for the four of us with that all important early breakfast.
2. Very early Uber to Royal Pacific, check in and get express passes whilst leaving bags with concierge (£375 for 28 July 2019 at Club level).
3. At end of second day in Universal parks, pick up car at Holiday Inn and move to our Villa.

In this way, we have eliminated 2 days of Car hire, Car parking fees and double booking of accommodation. With the Ramada breakfast and then club level, we are also some way towards also feeding ourselves.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:37 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post

I couldn’t bear to do Universal without express passes. And we go at less busy times of the year but the queues still look awful.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I couldn’t bear to do Universal without express passes. And we go at less busy times of the year but the queues still look awful.
I did it last September without express passes and everything was a walk on. The longest wait was 10 minutes at the Harry Potter rides during the afternoons which I did multiple times. I went there on a Sunday and a Monday.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I did it last September without express passes and everything was a walk on. The longest wait was 10 minutes at the Harry Potter rides during the afternoons which I did multiple times. I went there on a Sunday and a Monday.
You were very lucky! I have spent about three weeks Universal in total, every day of the week, always outside school holidays and have literally never seen anything we want to do as a walk on, apart from during the early opening hour. In January I did not see the Hippogriff queue drop below an hour.

Never been in September, but have heard it is one of the quieter months for parks, that is why I chose it for next trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We usually go at the end of August (after the local kids go back to school) and generally have a few nights in either HRH or RPH, to be honest, while the EPs are nice, we usually comment that we don't really need them, I think the beginning of August could be a very different scenario though, we do see the drop in crowds.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
dworrall
New Poster (3)

Mobile

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Booked club level at RPH early August for a shade under £400. Now to formulate a plan for those days. I assume I just drive tot the hotel early on the check in day for say 08:00?
dworrall is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List