Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jun 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Djl27
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

BA or virgin Premium Economy

Hi

Going to Orlando next July so waiting for flights to be released. It appears both airlines have similar pricing for Premium, but wondered if anyone had and views of which is the best option.

BA flights are out sooner, so do I take the plunge on BA or wait until Virgin release theirs a few weeks after?

Any decent alternatives?

Decisions, decisions!
Djl27 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
There will be Dibbers who rave over VS and Dibbers who rave over BA.

There are Dibbers like us who think they are a tin tube who get you across the pond safely, in reasonable comfort and reasonably on time.

Alternative for us will be Thomas Cook who fulfil all those criteria for us and have recently been up to £1,000 cheaper for PE for two compared with VS.

The only downside for us with TC is a far poorer IFE selection but we don't pay £1,000 for a couple more movies.

Mick

Edited at 06:46 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
prt2
Very Serious Dibber

I have flown BA Premium but not Virgin.
Looking at what you get and other opinions I think theVirgin Premium offer seems better than BA.
The BA WT+ cabins are OK but not exceptional. there is little WOW factor to them in my opinion (even the refurbished planes).
All depends on pricing though.
WT+ is better than World Traveller but in my opinion not worth too much more.
prt2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Djl27 View Post
Hi

Going to Orlando next July so waiting for flights to be released. It appears both airlines have similar pricing for Premium, but wondered if anyone had and views of which is the best option.

BA flights are out sooner, so do I take the plunge on BA or wait until Virgin release theirs a few weeks after?

Any decent alternatives?

Decisions, decisions!
When I am traveling, the main thing I care about it my personal space and Virgin and BA seat dimensions and seat pitch are the same. So for same price I would have no preference.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Can I just add for a bit of balance we have nothing at all against VS and we've probably flown PE with them far more than with BA and TC combined.

One of the reasons that we're lucky to go twice a year is the TC price in the Spring and I just can't justify paying what VS want. BA are also cheaper than VS for our Nov trip but not by such a wide margin. TC don't do our Nov dates in PE.

If all three were only say £50 apart I'd probably go for VS if only for the DS check-in on our return.

Mick
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
cherryred72
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
When I am traveling, the main thing I care about it my personal space and Virgin and BA seat dimensions and seat pitch are the same. So for same price I would have no preference.

Depending on where you fly to, the Virgin PE seats are much wider. In my experience, it makes a huge difference. Also. Virgin PE allow you to choose seats at the time of booking without charge, BA WT+ charge for this privilege...
cherryred72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Djl27 View Post
Hi

Any decent alternatives?

Decisions, decisions!
Hi Dj, without a doubt VA - larger, very comfy seat, 21" wide, pitch 38" with a canny foot rest, better dimensions than BA. VA's 747's are earmarked to leave service throughout 2021. Bar the four A330-200's brought in to fill the Dreamliner gap, all VA's fleet currently have the same PE dimensions...

... but (always a but isn't there!), VA proudly announced their new A350-1000 aircraft, bigging up UC and PE reductions, yessiree, still trying to work out how reductions are a good for anybody bar VA of course. UC to lose 2" and PE reduces from 21" to 18.5" of width with 36" of pitch and no foot rest. VA plan to downgrade refit all their fleet.

You can check out VA's seat plans on SeatGuru HERE and BA's HERE.
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

We are flying TUI premium next week, I will try to remember to take pictures and do a report.

Oh and Mick apart from the fact I prefer a Dreamliner, the price was right!

Edited at 11:25 PM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
We are flying TUI premium next week, I will try to remember to take pictures and do a report.

Oh and Mick apart from the fact I prefer a Dreamliner, the price was right!
Have a smashing holiday Sue, don't do owt I won't

One of VA's Dreamliner's had a bird strike on 3rd May not long after take-off, flight returned to LHR. Apparently the bird hit one of the most fragile spots on the aircraft, the centre of the nose cone. See HERE.
Old 20 Jun 19, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

We have used both recently and believe that Virgin just has the edge on BA.