Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I'm not one for that either. But I would have hired a car, gone on day trips, gone sailing. I would have stayed at a non inclusive hotel and gone out to try different places for lunch and dinner.
this what we do , I always try to pick a resort where we can do several trips out be it by foot, car , bus or boat. We love going to different restaurants each night too.
Old 14 Jun 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I'm not one for that either. But I would have hired a car, gone on day trips, gone sailing. I would have stayed at a non inclusive hotel and gone out to try different places for lunch and dinner.
I agree, for me AI is for isolated resorts, or those countries where it's not particularly safe to leave the resort (to be fair the type of places I don't go to).

I think AI in Spain, Greece etc would be such a shame
Old 14 Jun 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I'm grateful for any time away, whether it's 2 weeks in Florida or a weekend away in the UK. So many people can't afford any sort of holidays.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I never understand AI in Europe ...you miss so much. We do our own thing and get off the beaten track.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Go and explore the island? Catch a bus or book a trip. On the rare occasion we do a lazy holiday we always have options and leave the hotel.
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've done a couple of AI, fine for me for a week but any longer I want a car so we can explore.

We've had two cracking holidays in the Algarve. Stayed in a villa, hired a car and explored the west Algarve. Had some amazing meals in stunning settings, had a day at a beach which was full of surfers, great to watch, went fishing for a day, explored Lagos, took a canoe round the caves. And the food is so much better than the food served up in the parks in Disney and Universal. Food was amazing. Fabulous sunsets and stunning scenery.

It is more expensive to hire a villa with a pool in the Algarve but the flights, food and drinks are way cheaper. Jet2 do great cheap flights and it's only 2 hours away.
MinniMouse is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

We were just half board
We’ve done the palms trips sightseeing bus tours but just not for us
We’ve enjoyed local quisine at lunch times even dinner in Palma
We are also lucky no mad rush for sun beds but just not for us
As I said I know I’m very lucky to be on holiday, however chalked up to experience and just not for us maybe a few days in a city break
But either way we know we are fortunate to have got away
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cybermum View Post
I never understand AI in Europe ...you miss so much. We do our own thing and get off the beaten track.
Sometimes you just want to get away and bask in the sun , something we don’t have a lot of in the UK 😉
I’m quite happy to spend a week in a decent hotel doing absolutely nothing but relaxing around a pool with a good book , no meals to cook and having my room cleaned, I’m not even bothered about entertainment as a nice walk out in the evening suits me fine . We have done trips but I’m just as eager to get back to the hotel. After seven days I have recharged my batteries and I’m ready to go home .
AI has nothing to do with the holiday really as you can still do trips and sightseeing, you are not confined to the hotel no matter what board you have , many a time on AI we have gone out to eat , it’s not usually that much of a difference in price and if that’s the case we will do AI on the grounds that the food is there if you want it with the option of eating out if the hotel food isn’t to your taste .
AI can give the impression of a crowded hotel with sun bed wars and bun fights at meal times and I don’t doubt that is the case sometimes , it’s just a case of choosing the right hotel 😊
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Well we have tried it and know it’s not for us
Onwards to our next adventure together to, whatever that may be
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
Which hotel are you staying in ? Most 5* hotels have several a-la-carte restaurants you can choose from , we loved our Turkey holidays and used the restaurants , Greek, Chinese, Mexican, Turkish etc .
We didn’t notice any smoking , maybe that was just luck but it’s very hit and miss in Europe as they don’t have the same laws as we do regards smoking .
We are at the Royal Dragon. We did have the Asian dining one night but the rest appear to be shut. The sister hotel Taj Mahal next door has a no smoking by pool and food area but you’re not allowed to use them.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List