Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Nov 18, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

cyclops Dec 2020

Hi !
We are thinking of going to WDW the first two weeks of december for my 40th birthday, thinking of staying onsite in order to secure fastpasses.
Can I ask a couple of questions?
Is the temperature warm enough to go in the pools and water park or is it offputting?
Is this a busy time to go?
When do you think the prices are out for this time of year?
Any recommendations from your experience?
Thanks
Charlie
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
beaky2808
Very Serious Dibber

We went in December 2016 so can answer a couple of your questions...
We used our villa pool quite a lot during the day and it was warm enough to do so but we didn't go to the water parks as I don't think we would have wanted to wander round in swimwear for the whole morning/afternoon as not that warm. It was shorts and t-shirt weather mostly but there were some cooler days when I wore jeans and the evenings of the fireworks I did have a cardigan or jumper on sometimes.
We were there from the 9th till the 23rd December and I thought it was a great time to go, it wasn't noticeably busier until around the 20th when it did pick up a bit. Didn't wait significantly longer for anything than on other trips in June or September though.
Definitely do Mickeys Christmas party as it was a fab night and very festive which I loved!
beaky2808 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

Thanks!
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Have done a few trips in December. Water parks are doable on some of the hotter days (although of course depends on your idea of hotter - if you are from the North of England/Scotland, I suspect that you might be ok prety much most days, if you are a softie Southerner like me that feels the cold intensely, not so much!. Remember you don't have to have all day at a waterpark - we did 4 hours at TL last year, so it can be mixed with a shopping/relaxing/ other activities such as minigolf day - or even go to the main parks afterwards!

Early December is not so busy although again, that is relative, and some people say that there is no such thing as a really non-busy day.

Incidentally, if you have a car, December is a great time to drive up to Crystal River and see the manatees!
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

Great, thanks. Is this period usually in the "free dining" promotion? I understand with Star Wars etc this may or may not be there in the coming years. When do you book for December?
Old 4 Nov 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

I believe that the usual end time for free dining is the last day in November - however as long as the start of your stay is in the free dining time, the whole of your stay counts e.g. 2 weeks starting from 30/11 would still be eligible for FD. To book you would have to book in April 2019 (assuming that the FD is being run).
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

Thanks, very useful re FD, did you actually swim with the manatees?
Old 4 Nov 18, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

We did, and it was wonderful - we do it every time we go. we hire a boat, but if you are not confident doing that, there are lots of companies that offer guided tours and a chance to snorkel with the manatees.
Old 11 Nov 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

Wow, brilliant ! Will bear that in mind, sounds amazing!
Old 25 Feb 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

I was wondering, what happens if you book Discovery Cove and it turns out to be a cold day, do they refund you - or is it best to avoid in december?