Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Nov 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
So at any one point in time you still only need to show ONE passport. So as I said, you are only obliged to have one passport at that time.
Sure, i’m just pointing out that I have to carry both of mine, assuming I want to get both out of and into the country in one holiday :-)
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 18, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
k100dmk
Very Serious Dibber

The esta application specifically asks if you have more than one citizenship.
I don't remember that but i definitely have never had the details of her european passport, i've only ever seen it once haha.
k100dmk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Strange - you are only required to show them the passport you are travelling on. You are under no obligation to even carry your other passport.

It might be a bit tricky if I don't carry both on a US or Canada trip -- as I need the Canadian one to get into the States or Canada without an ESTA or ETA, and the British one to get back into the UK via the passport machines.

For Euro trips, I only carry the UK one.
Wembleygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
So at any one point in time you still only need to show ONE passport. So as I said, you are only obliged to have one passport at that time.

I normally don't mention that I'm carrying two, but in August when I was travelling with my SO, the lady at the British Airways check-in desk in San Jose asked what my residency status was in the UK and I told her I was British born. At that point, she asked to see my UK passport.
Wembleygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 18, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Originally Posted by Wembleygal View Post
I normally don't mention that I'm carrying two, but in August when I was travelling with my SO, the lady at the British Airways check-in desk in San Jose asked what my residency status was in the UK and I told her I was British born. At that point, she asked to see my UK passport.
Thats odd... I have dual citizenship but my Swedish passport expired in 2009 and I havent bothered getting a new one as dont really need it (might feel different about that after Brexit though). So couldnt show if asked.

Edited at 06:54 AM.
Tigger71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 18, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
Thats odd... I have dual citizenship but my Swedish passport expired in 2009 and I havent bothered getting a new one as dont really need it (might feel different about that after Brexit though). So couldnt show if asked.
Post Brexit I’ll use my UK to enter Uk and my Irish to come home. Could be useful

I always carry both. Regardless of who carries what though the esta form clearly asks if you have dual citizenship and for the details of the other citizenship.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by Wembleygal View Post
The Airlines are responsible for returning the passenger to the originating country if it turns out that they do not have the right to enter the country of destination. So they check usually.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 18, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Post Brexit I’ll use my UK to enter Uk and my Irish to come home. Could be useful

I always carry both. Regardless of who carries what though the esta form clearly asks if you have dual citizenship and for the details of the other citizenship.
Yes I always fill in the Esta that I have a Swedish citizenship, give the passport number and that it expired in 2009. I never bring the Swedish passport with me though.
Old 8 Nov 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by pad406 View Post
The Airlines are responsible for returning the passenger to the originating country if it turns out that they do not have the right to enter the country of destination. So they check usually.
I had this problem once with US Airways while still living in the UK. I have only a US Passport but was a permanent resident of the UK with an "indefinite leave to remain in the UK" stamp in my old passport. I had travelled that way dozens of times with no issues. The check in agent decided I needed a Visa number to enter into her system as I didn't have a return ticket back to the US. She could not accept that I didn't need or have a Visa and that there was no UK equivalent of a green card number to enter. Even when her boss told her it was fine after making a phone call she was still worried about getting fined for getting it wrong! It took over 20 minutes to get past her.
Old 8 Nov 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
monique
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I became a British citizen last December. Before that I always traveled on my Dutch passport. When I renewed my Esta, I have to admit that I can’t remember seeing that question about dual nationality come up... but having said that, maybe it did, but because under Dutch law I automatically lost my Dutch citizenship, I probably felt that by saying I only have one nationality, this was a true answer... my husband is American you see and therefore I can’t be a Dual Dutch/ UK citizen...

Disneyland Paris :1995, 2007 and 2011.
Los Angeles Disneyland :1996 & 2001.
Florida: April 2002,May 2004,June 2009,May 2012, April 2013,April 2015,May 2016 & October 2019, May 2024
monique is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List