Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 16, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

"Top-up" Insurance

We are only booking a car for two days and I've been looking at Discount Florida Car Hire, there is an option for "Top-up" insurance with them to cover losing keys, damage to wheels and stuff like that, does anyone bother with this we usually don't but now I'm worried if we don't something will happen?

"Top Up Insurance - (optional)
The price we quote includes all of the required insurance so when you arrive at the collection location there are no other fee's to pay unless it's made very clear.

The rental companies do not cover damage to the tyres or windscreen as standard. We are able to offer you an optional extra insurance to cover these eventualities so you have total peace of mind.

Top-up your Zero Excess offer from your car rental supplier!

Covers the parts of the car within the Vehicle Rental Agreement that are usually excluded:
- Covers physical damage to windscreens and tyres.
- Cover up to £1,000 for a series of incidents during any single Vehicle Rental Agreement
- Covers towing costs relating to the loss or damage.

Covers you in case of Lock-Out from your rental vehicle
- Cover for up to a maximum of £150 for a call-out service to come open the vehicle

Covers your Rental Vehicle Keys
- Cover for up to a maximum of £300 for replacing a lost or stolen rental vehicle key, including replacement locks and locksmith charges.

£2.50 per day
"

discountfloridacarhire.co...-insurance.php
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 16, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Over the last 22 years we have hired cars for over 60 weeks and never bought it but in the end it is up to you it is normally cheaper to get it from a UK company.
Old 26 Feb 16, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post

As above, I've never bothered and never had any issues either. Only a £5 though if you wanted that extra peace of mind.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 16, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I can beat Greyfriars! Been hiring out there since 1976 and never bought it.
Towed off the turnpike, had 2 x punctures and had a door bashed in whist car unattended.
All sorted at no cost to me.
Anyone who does want this top up is best advised to use a UK broker as they are tons cheaper.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 16, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

It is like any other insurance. You pay a sum to cover the risk of having to pay a bigger sum if "whatever" goes wrong.
Personal choice.
We do take this - but not from the rental companies for Florida as they are expensive for this cover. We do take it from the rental company if we are doing a big road trip that involves remote areas.
The reality is that it is a small cost in the context of a holiday.
People are split on this issue so each person really needs to decide for them selves.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 16, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

We buy it, but not from any rental company, we buy here before we go. We've never needed it, but it's peace of mind for us to have it. Compared to the cost of the holiday including the car it isn't much and we factor it into the cost of the holiday.

I'm a worrier by nature, so it's peace of mind for me, but understand why others wouldn't take it.

Knowing our luck the one year we didn't would be the year we needed it!
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 16, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
We buy it, but not from any rental company, we buy here before we go. We've never needed it, but it's peace of mind for us to have it. Compared to the cost of the holiday including the car it isn't much and we factor it into the cost of the holiday.

I'm a worrier by nature, so it's peace of mind for me, but understand why others wouldn't take it.

Knowing our luck the one year we didn't would be the year we needed it!
And what you do is absolutely right!
You are covering your back from any issues and you are getting the best deal by using a UK Broker.
Thats good sense.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 16, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Thanks, as we're only renting for two days I think we'll pay the fiver
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 16, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread