Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Sep 15, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by misterh View Post
Actually Google Maps (and Waze and probably others) - i..e data-using phone apps - are very good in the UK and US in reporting delays, jams, etc. As these apps send real-time data back then the apps can update their data on delays. This includes historic as well as real-time data.

IMHO the old "receive only" sat-nav systems are toast. That boat has passed.
I like toast, a nice slice of Garmin in the morning has set me up for the parks for many years I suppose its just what I'm familiar with. Must admit I don't use my phone to its fullest.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 15, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I am the satnav when we go, I check out any potential routes we might take on Google earth before we go and direct my husband. It works well for us, as long as he gets in the correct lane when I say. That's the only thing we argue about.

For newbies, a combination of prepping before you go and a good map, together with a Satnav, but don't switch your brain off when you use the Satnav, you still need to look out for landmarks. I think most places are quite well signposted.
Old 16 Sep 15, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
KWJR
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by misterh View Post
Actually Google Maps (and Waze and probably others) - i..e data-using phone apps - are very good in the UK and US in reporting delays, jams, etc. As these apps send real-time data back then the apps can update their data on delays. This includes historic as well as real-time data.

IMHO the old "receive only" sat-nav systems are toast. That boat has passed.
Can't agree with you on that one, been to Chicago for a week before flying down here and , despite excellent signal, Apple map was very slow in recognising where you were hence walking quite a way before realising damned app had sent you the wrong way😡 Satnag was not amused. As for Orlando, signal outside parks and hotel is non existent. I'll stick with Garmin for driving and walking. No offence/ personal attack or anything of that ilk meant or intended.
Old 16 Sep 15, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by KWJR View Post
Can't agree with you on that one, been to Chicago for a week before flying down here and , despite excellent signal, Apple map was very slow in recognising where you were hence walking quite a way before realising damned app had sent you the wrong way😡 Satnag was not amused. As for Orlando, signal outside parks and hotel is non existent. I'll stick with Garmin for driving and walking. No offence/ personal attack or anything of that ilk meant or intended.
Of course any Satnav can only work with a GPS signal, but for mobile devices (and Google Maps at least) once the route is downloaded you don't need an active data connection (except of course for traffic updates, etc).

My android device uses both US GPS and Glonass (Russian) so I can normally see 15-25 satellites (and you need 3 for a fix). Seriously, in the UK Google Maps is very accurate in highlighting traffic jams/delays. It says there's a jam/accident in 20 miles, and there is! Perhaps they're using drones to create them
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 15, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread