Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Mar 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Susanjane View Post
Not sure if this has already been posted but I've just seen on the Disney Uk site confirmation of the exact dates of when they'll start charging Uk guests:

Will every Guest be charged to park a car?
Overnight resort parking charges are applicable to Disney Resort Hotel Guests who book on or after 21st March 2018. However, Guests residing in the UK or Ireland will not be charged for overnight resort parking until 31st December 2019.

disneyholidays/walt...d/faq/parking/
Really pleased to see this confirmed in writing from Disney themselves now.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Susanjane View Post
Not sure if this has already been posted but I've just seen on the Disney Uk site confirmation of the exact dates of when they'll start charging Uk guests:

Will every Guest be charged to park a car?
Overnight resort parking charges are applicable to Disney Resort Hotel Guests who book on or after 21st March 2018. However, Guests residing in the UK or Ireland will not be charged for overnight resort parking until 31st December 2019.

disneyholidays/walt...d/faq/parking/
Interesting that it says guests residing in the UK or Ireland. What if those guests haven't booked through the UK site?! I'm presuming they will be charged but the wording would seem to suggest anyone residing in the UK or Ireland gets free parking.
Old 27 Mar 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

Just had a phone call from Disney. I asked why it was dearer to park at a deluxe hotel. Their answer was that deluxe car parks are smaller, so therefore they can charge more. Not sure what that is going to achieve.
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 18, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
Interesting that it says guests residing in the UK or Ireland. What if those guests haven't booked through the UK site?! I'm presuming they will be charged but the wording would seem to suggest anyone residing in the UK or Ireland gets free parking.
Yeah, interesting wording isn't it. I've took a screen shot so when I check in next year on my AP rate room booked on the US system I can use it to get free parking.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mr Darwen Bird View Post
It helps ruin the fantasy for me. They've been increasingly grasping for money for too long now and this just cements it in my head. I'm not saying I will boycott parks (but I will aim to limit them) but they will never get back the goodwill and convince me it is a magical place - it's just another theme park.
I hate to break this to you but Walt Disney World isn't actually a magical fantasy place. It is just a theme park. It's always been a theme park.

I think the problem in some cases (not all) is that people have come to believe Disney's marketing hype. They actually believe WDW is a magical place where wishes come true. Therefore, they are disappointed when they come to finally realise that, like all marketing hype, the adverts aren't actually true and that WDW is just another theme park business out to make money and always has been.

BTW, you can still enjoy WDW and have a great time at the Disney theme parks whilst still knowing it's just another theme park business.

Originally Posted by DISNEYLIZ View Post
Just had a phone call from Disney. I asked why it was dearer to park at a deluxe hotel. Their answer was that deluxe car parks are smaller, so therefore they can charge more. Not sure what that is going to achieve.
It's going to make more money for Disney for those staying at deluxe resorts, of course. That's what it's going to achieve.

Anyway, in addition to that, the smaller car parks at the deluxe resorts means that supply is less there compared to the supply at the value resorts. Thus, as per the usual supply & demand economics, you will be charged less for things with more supply, assuming demand would otherwise be the same (not necessarily true - I'd assume there would be more guests staying at the value resorts than at deluxes).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 09:33 AM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I hate to break this to you but Walt Disney World isn't actually a magical fantasy place. It is just a theme park. It's always been a theme park.

I think the problem in some cases (not all) is that people have come to believe Disney's marketing hype. They actually believe WDW is a magical place where wishes come true. Therefore, they are disappointed when they come to finally realise that, like all marketing hype, the adverts aren't actually true and that WDW is just another theme park business out to make money and always has been.

BTW, you can still enjoy WDW and have a great time at the Disney theme parks whilst still knowing it's just another theme park business.

It's going to make more money for Disney for those staying at deluxe resorts, of course. That's what it's going to achieve.

Anyway, in addition to that, the smaller car parks at the deluxe resorts means that supply is less there compared to the supply at the value resorts. Thus, as per the usual supply & demand economics, you will be charged less for things with more supply, assuming demand would otherwise be the same (not necessarily true - I'd assume there would be more guests staying at the value resorts than at deluxes).
That's what I said to them, I also queried that the deluxe hotels have more visitors from other resorts eating at their restaurants. So therefore the carparks will still be full. She could not give me an answer.
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
That's what I said to them
Then you have your answer. Less supply of parking spaces at the deluxe resorts = higher price. Due to the whole supply/demand economics.

I also queried that the deluxe hotels have more visitors from other resorts eating at their restaurants. So therefore the carparks will still be full.
Again, a possible reason for the higher parking price at the deluxe resorts is to reduce the number of on-site guests parking their cars whilst staying there. In turn, that will make more spaces available for other guests to park there whilst eating at the restaurants. So, again, you've answered your own question.

I suspect though that Disney simply thinks that people staying at the more expensive deluxe resorts will be able to afford to pay the higher parking fees.

However, remember that the customer support people won't know why the high-up Disney executives and money-people do these things. If it's not on their script then they won't be able to answer your question. And just because it's not on their script doesn't mean there isn't a reason for it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
VickieMH
Imagineer

I’m giving Orlando a break .. feel a bit ripped off decided on Mexico next year and Thailand
The year after. We normally go every two years.