Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Nov 18, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

we do too because have had it where they said we did not have one so showed printed copy and was fine you never know always best to think ahead
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

As with most dibbers, copies of everything - just in case -

Copies of passports, hire car papers, esta's, accommodation details, flight details. We keep one copy of all these in a folder when in transit and duplicate copies in a suitcase. We also have a note on the top of the case with our name UK address and telephone no. making it easier to locate us should a case go astray.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by patjeff63 View Post

Copies of passports, hire car papers, esta's, accommodation details, flight details. We keep one copy of all these in a folder when in transit and duplicate copies in a suitcase. We also have a note on the top of the case with our name UK address and telephone no. making it easier to locate us should a case go astray.
Plus copy of travel insurance docs with contact phone number.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I always print out a copy, and keep a .pdf copy in my dropbox as well. Been asked for it at least a couple of times that I can remember when I was checking in for a US-bound flight, and I just pulled out the print out and showed them when asked.

I generally travel with a print out of most of the important things, but also keep .pdf backups in my dropbox - that way if anything happens to my print out folder I can still get a backup copy as long as I have a computer or device with internet access!
Old 13 Nov 18, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I’m afraid I wouldn’t put any address on my case. It makes it easy for the “ bad guys” see your address at home and work out that you will be away.
The bar code on the case label will give the details to ID your case.
Just what we do each to their own of course.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I’m afraid I wouldn’t put any address on my case. It makes it easy for the “ bad guys” see your address at home and work out that you will be away.
The bar code on the case label will give the details to ID your case.
Just what we do each to their own of course.
I think patjeff may be referring to a note left inside the locked case (on top of the packed items) with address and details? In this case the details would not be accessible unless the locked case was open.

I started doing this after being on the Dibb and other forums. Essentially the worry is that the bag tag and labels may be ripped off by accident, or that the bag tag was wrongly labelled, or maliciously replaced. If this happened the hope would be that the note inside the locked case might increase the chances of the case eventually making its way back to you, if they end up opening the case...
Old 13 Nov 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes that's it exactly, US customs can open any case and I've had mine opened on two occasions (they leave a notation in the case to say it was opened by customs). It is purely to assist if your case gets lost with no other ID than the airline tag. On the outward leg, your name, destination airport with destination address and a phone no. Return, your name, address and phone no. and destination airport.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Yes that's it exactly, US customs can open any case and I've had mine opened on two occasions (they leave a notation in the case to say it was opened by customs). It is purely to assist if your case gets lost with no other ID than the airline tag. On the outward leg, your name, destination airport with destination address and a phone no. Return, your name, address and phone no. and destination airport.
So can any unscrupulous baggage handler, or indeed anyone with a pen, if it’s a zipped bag. See this as example
snapguide/guides/open-a-...ballpoint-pen/

I see you are now saying the destination address whereas I was referring to your initial reply where you said ( in error I assume) your U.K. address. This is far better.

But regardless of that all I’d have in my case ( at most) would be a mobile number. No invoices, copies of passports, ESTAs etc.
I’d rather loose my case rather than have all my private details taken.
As you say it may be to help relocate your bags, but if it’s lost it most probably won’t be an Immigration or Customs Officer dealing with it, but an airport employee, baggage handler etc. The airline tag has all your details coded on it. It will refer the airline back you your API which will have your details.

Of course you can all do what you want, the above is my reasons why I don’t. Posted it as food for thought.
Neither is right or wrong.

Edited at 06:59 PM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List