Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 10 Jul 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SpectroMagical View Post
I'm pretty sceptical about the whole thing. EE hasn't had a prolonged refurb ever, as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong!), but the WDWNT article seems pretty tenuous - it's using a quote from Joe Rohde saying he's still working on it. I don't think that means he's actively working on it, more that it's a side project he'd like to get sorted. I feel as if he's been 'working on it' for a while!

As an aside, the yeti itself isn't broken. The force of the yeti's swipe is the force of a plane taking off and so was pulling at the foundations of the ride, so they made the decision to turn it off to protect the ride structure.

It's not a simple fix, but nor is it an immediate concern. I imagine any refurb will be scheduled months ahead of time (or I hope so anyway!).
that cant be right its only an anamatronic ?
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 18, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

i didn't even know the Yeti was supposed to move. Hope it's not closed when we're there though.
Old 10 Jul 18, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

The yeti was the largest and most complex animatronic figure Disney had ever built. He is 25 feet tall, weighs around 4 tons, and was created to dart forward with more power than a jet engine. His movement is controlled by 19 actuators that were meant to work together to create fluid life-like motion. He was designed to lunge forward toward riders using a long boom extending out of his back powered by hydraulic thrust. His skin and fur covering measures out to about 1000 square feet, and it’s held in place by around 1000 snaps and 250 zippers.

This is an extract from orlandoparkstop/news/feat...dden-mountain/
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 18, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrie1781
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by WASTID View Post
Been a few years since we were there - can't even remember the Yeti and whether it moved or not!

How long has it been broken?
This is an extract from WDW news -
For over 10 years now, the Yeti animatronic in Expedition Everest at Disney’s Animal Kingdom has been immobile. The figure broke roughly around 2008 and Disney has been unable to fix the highly advanced audio-animatronic without doing any major structural work to the man-made Asian mountain. With Everest as the park’s headliner attraction for most of the last decade, Disney felt uncomfortable closing the ride down for 6 or more months to fix the problem and return the Yeti’s range of motion. With Pandora: The World of AVATAR now open, it seems Walt Disney Imagineering is getting ready to scale Everest and bring back one of the most impressive ride scenes ever created.

Edited at 06:01 PM.
kerrie1781 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
munchie63
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
i didn't even know the Yeti was supposed to move. Hope it's not closed when we're there though.
me neither. Rode it twice. Have to keep my eyes open LOL
munchie63 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
undercovermouse
Helping Mickey

LOL - my son and I went on this twice in 2015 and neither of us saw the Yeti! Hoping my wife and daughter will brave it this time - maybe 8 eyes will be better than 4!
undercovermouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWfangirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

WDWfangirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 12
All my family love this ride, especially at night time when the view over the park is magical.

I’d be gutted if this ride was closed next August when we went
WDWfangirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 18, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Granbran
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
My DGD will be devastated if this is closed at Easter as it is all she talks about going back on when we go, although I am hoping she might be brave and try Space Mountain this time.
1991 Days Inn,1993/96/98 Flydrive,1994 Catalina Inn,2000 Lindfields,2003 Thousand Oaks, 2004/2006 Liki Tiki,2005 Cruise,2007/2008 Regal Palms,2010 High Grove,2011 Star Island, 2012 Marriots Cypress Harbour,2013 SSR/Sheraton Vistana,2015 Calabria,2016 India,2017Westgate/Cabana Bay,2017POFQ/WestgateTown,2018 India,2019 CBR&Westgate Town
Granbran is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 18, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by munchie63 View Post
me neither. Rode it twice. Have to keep my eyes open LOL
Haha! 😂
Old 11 Jul 18, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Joe Rhode swore he would fix the Yeti... fingers crossed
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List