Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 26 Jul 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Plastic Straws at WDW - Now Going.

Just found this on WFTV.

Walt Disney World is joining Starbucks, American Airlines, Marriott, the cities of Seattle and San Francisco and other well-known places by announcing a ban on plastic straws.

The Walt Disney Company announced Thursday that all of its parks around the world will eliminate single-use plastic straws in the interest of protecting the environment.

The company said all plastic straws and stirrers will be gone by mid-2019, a reduction of more than 175 million straws each year.

wftv/news/local/disn...arks/798871511

A good move for the environment in my view

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
This is the original article from Disney...

disneyparks.disney.go/bl...plastic-waste/
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Donald 1983
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Good to see major companies taking responsibility. Hopefully more will follow suit and this is just the beginning
Big Donald 1983 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
jemett
Imagineer

Mobile

Unfortunately for some people like my disabled son and other disabled people plastic bendy straws are a must for them. Paper straws disintegrate, metal straws do not bend and hard plastic straws have no give in them. Whilst I appreciate the plastic debate and the environment, I don’t appreciate that I will try and have to find other not so good alternatives so my son can have a drink!

EMMA
jemett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I’m somebody that needs a straw to drink esp in none handle cups. This is due to a progressive illness - I’m fine with paper straws ( although I tend to get a few to use for the one drink ) but also don’t want the hassle of carrying a straw around as I don’t carry a bag in the parks.

I completely agree on the need to reduce plastics and agree with the decision but I hope they have some type of straw available on request.

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by jemett View Post
Unfortunately for some people like my disabled son and other disabled people plastic bendy straws are a must for them. Paper straws disintegrate, metal straws do not bend and hard plastic straws have no give in them. Whilst I appreciate the plastic debate and the environment, I don’t appreciate that I will try and have to find other not so good alternatives so my son can have a drink!
Well said - I have exactly the same problem.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

Amazon are now selling bendy metal straws - don’t know if they would be any use to you.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Hi Jemett. If you end up being forced to find an alternative I would suggest you try cornstarch bendy straws. They have them in our local pub and I can’t tell the difference. Obviously this won’t be as convenient as being able to just take a straw from the location you’re at, but it’s something to keep in mind in case the ban becomes more widespread.

Edited at 05:50 PM. Reason: Spelling/repetition
Noodlez is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Simmyoto
Proud to wear my Ears

Would it be possible for you to take a quantity of disposable straws on your trip with you? I appreciate that it is another hassle and more to lug around but if they are the best solution for your circumstance it seems like it will be worth it.

It may even be worth contacting Disney and any other parks you are planning on visiting them and pointing out your specific concern- Knowing Disney and how amazingly well they treat and plan for disabled visitors they may even have thought of the problem and decided to keep a stock in strategic locations such as the first aid stations that have the space for disabled rest areas.
Simmyoto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

I've just read about this too, immediately after reading that Ziploc are the new sponsor on Splash mountain seems like contradictory policy although I guess the argument is that Ziploc are reusable.

You'll be able to get a free Ziploc Splash Mountain branded bag to keep your valuables dry at the attraction.

wdwnt/2018/07/ziploc-to-...ive-free-bags/
blogmickey/2018/07/ziploc...lash-mountain/
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List