Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 23 Aug 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
gettingthere
Imagineer

Blutos barges are a must
Old 23 Aug 18, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We spent our first 3 days at Universal in this trip, and I was a bit meh on it after our last trip, but I can honestly say we had the best time! I wouldn’t do it without staying onsite as the fast passes make it worth its weight in gold. But they make for such a relaxing trip. We’re at Disney now, I still love it, and it has the nostalgia I want, but the kids aren’t that fussed with it, nor is my dh so the next trip with be Universal only I think

Edited at 04:01 PM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Surely there are less thrill rides at Universal compared to Disney?

We had to go to SeaWorld to get a proper rollercoaster fix after staying at Universal RPR last year. From memory, Universal has Hulk, RIP Rocket and The Mummy
And Gringott's?

When it comes to proper rollercoasters, Seaworld has Mako, Manta, and Kraken. So the same number as Universal.

It's an interesting point of view. Most people would say that Universal has more thrill rides than Disney. That's not just rollercoasters but any and all rides that could be considered thrilling - eg Dr Doom's Fearfall, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Simpsons, etc.

In terms of big rollercoasters, Disney only has Everest, RnRC, Space Mountain (?) and perhaps Primeval Whirl. BTMR and 7DMT are more like family coasters, similar to the Hippogriff, albeit better (IMO).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
We spent our first 3 days at Universal in this trip, and I was a bit meh on it after our last trip, but I can honestly say we had the best time! I wouldn’t do it without staying onsite as the fast passes make it worth its weight in gold. .
Agree with the Express passes but it does add a considerable extra cost for a family of 4. It cost us £400 ( with food) for one night last August
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

I don't think one needs to be bigger\badder\meaner than the other. They can be unique and enjoyable in their own ways.

The defining point for me is that one requires 6 months' worth of hoops to jump through, and the other you just show up and go with the flow.

I used to love WDW planning and relish in updating all of my detailed color-coded spreadsheets. Now however, the thought of being on hold literally hours to try and score free dining, waking up at 5am to line up my FP+ selections, and logging on precisely at 180 days to perhaps maybe score decent ADRs... well, I could go on but it is all just too much for me to consider for a 'vacation'. Couple all that work with (and let's all be honest here) lower service levels and ridiculous crowds (year round)... its clear to us that Universal is the better option these days.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandonewbie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I think the parks are aimed at different ages too. I went as a teen and liked Disney but loved Universal.
Last year we took our kids to both for the first time. They were 9/7/4 and equally excited about both. We stayed offsite. We all loved Disney and while we enjoyed Universal and thought Harry Potter theming was amazing, for us, the rides missed the mark. Most were either very babyish or too scary. The queues were huge and without a few Fastpasses to break up the queuing we all got tired and fed up much more quickly. I can appreciate it’s an amazing place and I remember loving it, but at the moment I just don’t feel it was aimed at my family. We did two (short days and changed our planned third day for an extra day at Disney.
We are skipping it and doing DC instead this year.
orlandonewbie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
RockTheDots
slightly serious Dibber

RockTheDots's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I love all the Orlando theme parks, they're all so much better than what we have in the UK! I love the theming at Universal but as a motion sickness sufferer I find the rides at Disney suit me better! For our next trip we were considering skipping Universal as we spent more time at Disney and SeaWorld on our last trip, but then we decided we couldn't miss out on experiencing Universal again so we're staying an extra 3 nights at Cabana Bay Resort!
Disneyland: 2022 (Trip report: LA & Aulani), 2023
DCL: Magic x2, Dream, Wish (booked for 2024!), Fantasy and Wonder (booked for 2025!)
RockTheDots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

They’re both amazing in their own ways .

I didn’t do universal on my first trip as we definitely didnt have time! But have done it every year since and we love it. HOWEVER. It’s a bit too screen happy for my liking!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
TanyaFay
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
They’re both amazing in their own ways .
Totally agree with this.

Our upcoming holiday in October we are staying on Disney property to mainly concentrate on Disney apart from Universal for HHN.
For our February holiday we are staying on International drive and will be concentrating on Universal & Islands of Adventure and missing disney.
I am looking forward to the February holiday as much as the October one.
Old 24 Aug 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post

We like both. But I have to say that a few of us have differing eye problems and find the increasing reliance on 3d rides challenging at Universal as some can't see it properly, some feel sick and I get a migraine.

That said there are plenty ride rides and the theming is excellent.

Doesn't stop us going. But I do think that anybody who has challenges with 3D needs to bear it in mind.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List