Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 13 Oct 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

FP with Rider Switch - my experience

So I know there’s been a lot of questions and posts about using Fastpasses with Rider Switch and the new system, having had to use this for the first time ever, I thought I would share my mixed experience.

We are me, DH and DD aged 3.

Our first use of this system was at Hollywood Studios. We had FPs for Tower of Terror for DH, Rock n Roller Coaster for me and Star Tours for me. We then got FP for all 3 of us on Toy Story Mania.

As we approached each ride and asked for rider switch, the CM would ask us if we had FP, and then who was riding first, they would then scan the band of the non-rider, they then manually set the return time, and let you know when they rider switch FP would start (you can then see these in MDE as well.)

By doing this, we got ToT and RnR done in little over an hour, which I didn’t think was too bad, when considering it’s 2 people doing both rides separately.

Our 2nd use was in Animal Kingdom, we only used it on Expedition Everest, but it worked in exactly the same way as at Hollywood Studios. Very happy with this.

On RnR and EE, doing it this way beat the single rider line both times.

Our 3rd attempt at using this this was where I didn’t have a great experience. This was at Magic Kingdom for Big Thunder Mountain. We approached the ride, as we had in the other parks, and requested rider switch, to be told that everyone in the party should have a FP. So my response was, ‘well we didn’t need to in the other parks,’ ‘well it’s the park policy.’ Anyway, after a small discussion, she said something along the lines of, ‘well I’ll do it on this occasion, but it may affect any other FPs you have, so don’t be surprised if you’re denied on another ride.’ Not happy with this as you can imagine, as it was unnecessary scaremongering, and it didn’t make any difference to any of our other fastpasses.

So I went onto the WDW website and found the post below from the Moms Panel and tweeted WDW, expressing my unhappiness, along with the image.

They followed it up, and asked me to DM them more details, which I did, and got back the repsonse below.

I didn’t pursue it any further, as it was the last time we used the rider switch system, but it really did put a sour taste in my mouth, as there was no need for the CM at BTM to say what she did about it affecting my other FPs and clearly, they are putting different practices into place in different parks, but are quite happy to also contradict what is on their own website as policy.

In EPCOT we used rider switch on Soarin’ but in the standby queue and used the single rider line on Test Track, as we had FPs for Frozen, and with the tiers it was the only way we could do them.

I hope this helps anyone else who has any questions about it. I never used the old paper system, so can’t comment on whether it’s better or worse, but it certainly enhanced our holiday, however, looking forward to the next one when we hopefully shouldn’t need to use it.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thanks for the info.

It really makes no sense whatsoever for them to ask for everyone in the party to have Fastpasses in order to use the Rider Switch facility. Because if you all have fastpasses then you can split up the party and just use the fastpasses to enter the ride quickly instead of the Rider Switch pass. Getting a Rider Switch pass in this case is pointless and a waste of time.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Thanks for the info.

It really makes no sense whatsoever for them to ask for everyone in the party to have Fastpasses in order to use the Rider Switch facility. Because if you all have fastpasses then you can split up the party and just use the fastpasses to enter the ride quickly instead of the Rider Switch pass. Getting a Rider Switch pass in this case is pointless and a waste of time.
I kinda disagree on this Nimbus.

First let me say I don't really have any issue with the usage as the OP described, however if all the party does not have to have Fastpass then they are effectively doubling up and have a distinct advantage over visitors that do not have members of the party that are not riding.

In the case of 2 adults and, where all the rest of the party is riding, you are right, in my opinion, that there is no advantage in using rider switch when you have a fastpass, however they would still get benefits when not using the fastpass, as the first non rider gets to use the fastpass lane the second time. Or at least that's what I understand.

But, when there are additional riders, the rider with the switch can bring someone back in with them so they don't ride alone, even on the Fastpass, which is an advantage over the pure use of FP+

I would think that it is like many things where there was abuse by many in the past so Disney have had to make some changes to make it fairer.

Happy to be corrected if I am mis-understanding it.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Thanks for the info.

It makes absolutely no sense at all. That day I’d pre-booked Pirates x3, BTM x1, Tiana & Rapunzel x2 and Ariel x3. I’d done it like this because DD can’t ride BTM so we use RS, and hubby wanted to go to the Hall of Presidents, so while he did that I took DD to see the princesses. I should also add, that I booked a 4th FP on the day for Winnie the Pooh x3 as well.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

I don't think this system is fair when I go I will want to go on FOP but my son who will be 5 won't be allowed.

My plan was to do the rider swap and FP Navi journey for me and my son and Rider swap so I can experience FOP with my girls.

So to do it this way I would have to book a FastPass for FOP but can't send my son on Navi by himself... Doesn't seem very fair on a small child to miss out or the adult either.

Thanks for the info. Can't say I'm happy with the new system
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

We will need rider switch even if we all have fast passes for an attraction as we will have 2 adults, 6yrold and 2yr old. Using BTM for example, if we all have fastpasses, me and my son (6) can ride using them whilst DH waits outside with DD (2), DH can them use his fastpass to ride but the rider switch would also allow DS to ride with his dad too, otherwise only one parent would get to ride with our son on each ride. I always thought this was how rider switch worked with families with children of differing heights. Yes my son would ride twice (once using fastpass and once using RS) but both parents get the joy of taking him on the ride. So there is still a use even if all had fastpasses. I think I’ve understood that right!

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the info. What I’m not clear on is the return time, can you tell me how that worked? I have two children who are under the height limit and just me and DH so for me and DH to ride back to back is pretty much a no-no as the kids just get too bored. Is there a gap in your return time or is it just whatever they give you? Thanks!
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
I don't think this system is fair when I go I will want to go on FOP but my son who will be 5 won't be allowed.

My plan was to do the rider swap and FP Navi journey for me and my son and Rider swap so I can experience FOP with my girls.

So to do it this way I would have to book a FastPass for FOP but can't send my son on Navi by himself... Doesn't seem very fair on a small child to miss out or the adult either.

Thanks for the info. Can't say I'm happy with the new system
But the flip side is that your girls get to ride FOP twice using only 1 FP+ and any non FP+ rides you gain too.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pad406 View Post
But the flip side is that your girls get to ride FOP twice using only 1 FP+ and any non FP+ rides you gain too.
That is a plus if I chose to ride however I would have to sacrifice my FP for a ride so that I can take my son onto a ride that he is actually able to go on. It just doesn't seem very fair compared to the old system. The whole point s so that families can still enjoy the day and this will make it far less enjoyable if they are restricting it in this way in my opinion.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dimple
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Surely this makes no sense the op is a party of 2 adults and one child. If they all had a fastpass for the attraction why would they even need a switch pass at all. Mother would ride with her fastpass and then father would ride with his . Childs would go unused- there's no benefit for the family here?
Dimple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List