Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Nov 18, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
timnlaura
slightly serious Dibber

The In-Laws are complicating things...

We have decided to head back again next year for OH 40th and the in laws are joining us. We have been desperate for them to experience it, so pleased they are almost commuting. However, FIL wants to do a split stay with WDW for 19ish day’s and then head up to New York and surrounding areas for another 10. We would do our usual break.

Any tips on booking multiple flights? I was thinking cost wise they might be better off booking the traditional return and then booking a completely separate internal flight(s).

I’m aware that the free dining is finishing, so do I go ahead and book something to hold it or rent dvc. I thought that 4 ddp between 4ad2ch would be sufficient.

They also would like to see different things in FL not just the parks, so any recommendations would be great!

Thank you!
timnlaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

flight wise - it would depend whether they would want to fly back to orlando just to fly home - it is a fair distance.
what do they mean by surrounding areas?
Old 4 Nov 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

In terms of flights - cost and distance wise it might be easiest to do a multi-city booking with an airline that uses a NY area airport as a hub. E.g. United which uses Newark as a hub. You could then book as LHR (for example) - (hub airport) - MCO for the first trip, then MCO - EWR, then EWR - LHR.

The upside of doing this is that you usually get the transatlantic baggage allowance for the domestic flight as well (without having to pay extra for baggage), and it often doesn't cost much more to do this as compared to flying just LHR - (hub) - MCO and back. Also, in terms of distances, it might make more sense as less backtracking (EWR - MCO - LHR is a little bit of flying in the wrong direction first).

But you do need to have a play around with the dates and the airline websites to see if this will work out well for you...
Old 4 Nov 18, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

I'd be looking at multi-city flights. Last year we flew this route on one booking with Thomas Cook:

Manchester - Boston
Boston - Fort Myers
Orlando - Manchester

The internal flight was with JetBlue, but booked as one ticket meaning baggage was included. All scheduled airlines will sell you this sort of ticket, Virgin use Delta for domestic flights and BA use AA.

Would definitely definitely recommend this way to book (and JetBlue were brilliant).
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We used BA and flew via jfk on the way home. Then directly back to Gatwick on the return.

All flights booked on one ticket. Ncl to lhr to jfk to mco then mco to Gatwick lhr to ncl. We had two nights in New York button could have longer
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Flights - look at them flying indirect to NY then connect return flights down to Florida, loads of flights, assuming they are able to travel on their own and navigate the airports. Or you all fly via NY indirect so they only have to do the Florida to NY on their own.

Having done Florida with In Laws (or Out Laws however you want to call them) they always have complicated things for us, so feel your pain at having to sort this out! On the plus side we put up with the "pain" as it meant we had live in child care at night if we wanted and we had a bigger villa as paid less than if we went on our own as we split it all 50:50.

We tend to not do all parks / all Orlando. Loads of other places to go. Use visitflorida, great website for places to go. Lots to do on both coasts and down to the keys.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
timnlaura
slightly serious Dibber

I knew this was the correct place to ask! Thanks all!

I might just ring BA (who we always end up booking with for cost) and see what they can put together. We loved the indirect via jfk from Edi before, so happy to do this. We were originally planning for Miami tho and doing Vero Beach for a few nights on the way home.

Will check out visitorlabdo. They like to see parks etc and things a little bit different. We will book a shooting range for my FIL as I think he would enjoy that too.

It’s all lovely and exciting, but when they deviate from what I’m used to I draw a blank lol
timnlaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

You can possibly look at potential costs on the BA website using the multi city tool to get an idea before you call them.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

You seem to be sorted on the flights.

With regards to other things to do, we love the state parks such as Blue Springs or Wekiwa. There is also a winery you can visit lakeridgewinery/Events/index.php and they have events on throughout the year as well as daily tours.
You could go to Celebration, Winter Park (take the boat tour), Mount Dora or take an airboat ride.
There is so much to do, but it will depend on what kind of things they are hoping to see.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by timnlaura View Post
I knew this was the correct place to ask! Thanks all!

I might just ring BA (who we always end up booking with for cost) and see what they can put together. We loved the indirect via jfk from Edi before, so happy to do this. We were originally planning for Miami tho and doing Vero Beach for a few nights on the way home.

Will check out visitorlabdo. They like to see parks etc and things a little bit different. We will book a shooting range for my FIL as I think he would enjoy that too.

It’s all lovely and exciting, but when they deviate from what I’m used to I draw a blank lol
You can also use their website. Just take the multi-city option rather than return and it will let you put in the seperate legs with dates and then price it up for you so you can experiment with dates etc.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List