Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Nov 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieandCarl
Trainee Dibber

Mobile Feel like TA is lying?

Hello,

I emailed the guy who is taking care of our booking at Travel Planners asking for our flight reference number. I want to book bubble seats so aiming to book as soon as the flight is released.

We fly 18th November 2019 with VA from Gatwick and he emailed back saying the ref number will be available mid January - is this correct? I emailed back saying I thought it was 11 months before departure date and he’s gone quiet now. We’ve had a bit of trouble with him ignoring emails since we booked so I guess here we go again!

Just want to make sure I’m right before I call, should I be able to get my booking ref number 11 months before flying?

Thanks in advance!
EllieandCarl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I believe it's 331 days before your return flight
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by EllieandCarl View Post
Hello,

I emailed the guy who is taking care of our booking at Travel Planners asking for our flight reference number. I want to book bubble seats so aiming to book as soon as the flight is released.

We fly 18th November 2019 with VA from Gatwick and he emailed back saying the ref number will be available mid January - is this correct? I emailed back saying I thought it was 11 months before departure date and he’s gone quiet now. We’ve had a bit of trouble with him ignoring emails since we booked so I guess here we go again!

Just want to make sure I’m right before I call, should I be able to get my booking ref number 11 months before flying?

Thanks in advance!
If your TA is booking your flights for you I don't see how you have any real control over when they actually book your seat. It wouldn't surprise me if they delayed booking your seats on the basis that they're often at their most expensive when just released.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
If your TA is booking your flights for you I don't see how you have any real control over when they actually book your seat. It wouldn't surprise me if they delayed booking your seats on the basis that they're often at their most expensive when just released.
The above poster has hit the issue on the head. When you book with a TA they don't have to "lock in" your tickets at the point you book, only guarantee that you won't pay anymore.

They can then hedge their bets on booking seats cheaper later.

This changes once you have paid everything in full as then they have an obligation to actually hold the booked items. Until then all you have is a promise you will get it and it won't cost you anymore.

So yes seats can be booked 331 days before your return flight but only once the seat is ticketed. It is totally in the TAs decision when to do this so long as they actually do it at some point before you go.

Most TA however do ticket the flights relatively early as they don't want to be left "holding the baby" if prices fluctuate greatly
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
Are they? From your experience when do the prices drop
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

It will be sometime in January,assuming you are returning home sometime in December.
Old 6 Nov 18, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Are they? From your experience when do the prices drop
On release day/week, flight prices are usually high; advice is to wait a few days/weeks after release day until they settle down.
Sometimes higher fare class seats are released on day 1 with the lower fare class seats released a few days/weeks later.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieandCarl
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The above poster has hit the issue on the head. When you book with a TA they don't have to "lock in" your tickets at the point you book, only guarantee that you won't pay anymore.

They can then hedge their bets on booking seats cheaper later.

This changes once you have paid everything in full as then they have an obligation to actually hold the booked items. Until then all you have is a promise you will get it and it won't cost you anymore.

So yes seats can be booked 331 days before your return flight but only once the seat is ticketed. It is totally in the TAs decision when to do this so long as they actually do it at some point before you go.

Most TA however do ticket the flights relatively early as they don't want to be left "holding the baby" if prices fluctuate greatly

Thanks very much, he has got back to me and said if I call him the 2nd week of January we can get it sorted, which falls in line with the 331 days from my return date - I feel a bit better now!
EllieandCarl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post

We used Travel Planners for a trip this summer and as soon as I booked it I got an online code so I could pick seats. This was flying with United so don't know if it is different with other airlines. We did book it 9 months before we flew so that too may be a reason.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

we booked with a travel agent and got to book seats straight away, booked in july for next april
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List