Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Aug 14, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Question Has Universal Studios lost the plot?

inline imageHas Universal Studios lost the plot? By that I mean have the changes that Universal have made over the last decade or so to their Studios theme park in Florida been for the better or for the worse, in your opinion?

My own experiences and thoughts…

Many years ago before I had dipped my toe in the magical waters of Orlando, my In-Laws had taken a holiday to Florida and on their return had subjected us to the dreaded after holiday get together. During the ensuing discussion and slide show of holiday snaps I became enthralled with Universal Studios. The pictures and stories they brought back really showed them fully immersed in the movies. This had, unbeknown to me at the time, sowed the seed to many visits to Orlando.

Fast forward several years and we decided to take that ‘Once in a Lifetime’ trip to Orlando, I’m sure many of you will relate to the ‘Once in a lifetime’ statement

I was looking forward to my visit to Universal Studios, I wanted to experience what my In-Laws had experienced.

Well after my first visit to Universal Studios I wasn’t disappointed, I had been immersed in the magic of film, we had seen to some extent how the movies were made and we had been in contact with some of the movies that I had grown up with. Earthquake, Kongfrontation and Jaws took me right back as did the Futuristic World of Hanna-Barbera.

The Wild Wild Wild west stunt show showing how the stunts used in the old western films were done was great entertainment. I loved the Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies, re-enacting the Physco shower scene, explaining how it was filmed and Hitchcock’s unique filming style.

Then on to the more recent films Back to the Future, such a shame that ride has gone. The Men in Black and Terminator, although theses were just rides and shows they did immerse you in the movie world.

My kids loved Nikelodeon Studios, it took them right in to the heart of the Nikelodeon game shows they were watching on the TV at the time.

Even the multiple magic photo opportunities where Hollywood and San Francisco skylines would become backdrops to your family pictures provided great movie magic experience.

All in all I felt that Universal Studios at that time (year 2000) delivered a unique insight in to the world of the film industry, brought back some childhood memoiries and entertained my children with stories to tell their classmates for quite sometime.

Now roll on a few more years and many more visits to Universal Studios and I found the park tired, some attractions had closed and some had been re-themed. The park for me had now become a half a day park, where once it was a two day park.

Universal then started a revival of the park, Revenge of the Mummy and Rip Ride Rocket, Shrek and Despicable Me, Simpsons ride and Transformers and finally the latest addition of Harry Potter’s Diagon Alley.

Like most people I’m not a great fan of change but I do recognise that change is necessary. I think Universal Studios has lost a lot of it’s soul over the years and now it is more firmly set in the theme park area rather than the movie back stage area. Where once the visitor became immersed in the movie world I now think that it is more about quick thrills rather than being totally immersed.

On the whole and looking at the very competitive area that Universal studios are in I do think they have made the right decisions for the future of the park, although I can’t deny feeling a little sad remembering my first visit to Universal Studios.

So what are your thoughts, impressions on Universal Studios Florida? Do you feel it has changed for the better or for the worse. If you have only ever visited recently for the first time do you feel the park delivers what you expect?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	250px-Usf-logo1990.jpg
Views:	55279
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	56619  
Old 1 Aug 14, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Smithy7876
Staying in the Castle

I visited for the first time in may and was somewhat disappointed with both universal studios and ioa. It just didn't live up to expectations and I thought the rides were a bit meh. Loved the hulk, lard lads donuts and city walk but that was it. I didn't even like the much loved hp forbidden journey (good idea but lacked the finish Disney would have put into it). All in all I am in no hurry to go back so will not be in my itinerary for May.
Smithy7876 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

One of the kids' TV programmes finished the other day on Nickelodeon, and I said to the girls 'Clarrisa Explains it all was filmed in front of a live audience at Nickelodeon Studios, Universal Studios, Orlando, Florida.' They obviously had no idea what I was on about but I remember being younger and really wanting to go watch the filming of something like Clarissa or Keenan and Kel!
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterfan5686
slightly serious Dibber

Potterfan5686's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I haven't been for many years since i was 13-14 and now going back in September with the family, i am devastated to read this post! I was more looking forward to both US and IOA then any of the Disney parks. Its my husbands first time and the kids, and he will be bummed to know back to the future isn't there anymore.

i know exactly what your saying though universal was magical and it was always my favourite each time we went it never let us down. I hope its not a disappointment for us. It wont be for the kids i bet but i have been reading a lot of bad things on here about all rides breaking down and everything.

started to feel a bit dubious about it all now. Only time will tell though i suppose
Potterfan5686 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

i totally agree, the first time i went to US was back in '95 and i also was not dissappointed with the whole movie experience: T2 ride, kongfrontation, ET, BTTF, and my favourite ride that i was looking forward too the most Jaws.
I also saw them making keenan and kel during the behind the scnes tour of the nicklodeon studios.

I do feel a lot of movie magic and the mysteries behind the movies has been lost since the expansion and the ever increasing HP world that seems to be overtaking everything.

That said i still love IOA and US and will always go back to both parks each time i go to florida. We usually do both parks in 1 day now also.

We will have to see what the planned expansion will bring and hopefully immerse us old movie lovers back into the magic of Hollywood
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I never knew the 'old' Universal so cannot compare but I much prefer their parks to disney, as they have a more grown up feel to them. The hidden gems such as the horror make up show and Beetlejuice always make it for me

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
PrincessLola
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
One of the kids' TV programmes finished the other day on Nickelodeon, and I said to the girls 'Clarrisa Explains it all was filmed in front of a live audience at Nickelodeon Studios, Universal Studios, Orlando, Florida.' They obviously had no idea what I was on about but I remember being younger and really wanting to go watch the filming of something like Clarissa or Keenan and Kel!
Ah I get goosebumps from that every time I heard it at the end of the programme i wanted to go to Florida again. I used to love those shows along with sabrina the teenage witch. I was a big fan of goosebumps too I met RL Stine at Hollywood studios he was doing a signing for his book
PrincessLola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Oh I'm so jealous! I'd have loved to meet him, I was a massive Goosebumps fan! Had loads of the books!
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Hi. No we don't bother with Universal, for us it doesn't have quite the same finish and theming as Disney. We would rather go to Busch Gardens, which when bought with a Seaworld combo ticket, offers by far better value for us.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SugarRush
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

To me universal are leading the way again. They are finally giving the people what they want and finally updating whole parks. There's a lot to come and I'm excited. Disney is loosing it's appeal for me. Construction in every park and a lot of the hotels with no real gain, doesn't enthral me at all