Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jan 15, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
I've only ever known HS with the hat so will miss it
Same for us.

It'll be so strange not seeing it when we go back.
Old 2 Jan 15, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by Jedi Princess View Post
I hope the replacement has nothing to do with Frozen.
My thoughts as well

Our first visit was 2002 so we've only ever known the iconic hat at MGM. I was sad when the wand and stars went from the top of Spaceship Earth at Epcot.
Old 2 Jan 15, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Michele
Excited about Disney

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Such a shame hope they will replace it. I thought it was part of the park like tree of like, Epcot and cinderella's castle.
Michele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 15, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
wolfie9
Excited about Disney

Same for us. The hat is Hollywood studios as we know it. We will miss it too. We do have some good photos by it though.
wolfie9 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 15, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post

The past and the future

My first ever visit to the USA and as it happens Walt Disney World and all the other theme parks was back in 2010, so I have missed an awful lot of Disney past history re: attractions that are no longer around. I loved every minute of that first visit and I know things will have changed by the time of my third visit in 2015 but I am excited and always will be to find out and see what is new and what has changed
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 15, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Our first visit was May 2001, but I don't remember the view before the hat. I know the Earful Tower was used as the icon though.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 15, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Hels80
VIP Dibber

Just hung up my new calendar from WDW- January's picture is the hat. Coincidence?
Best Western I drive 1997, Regal Palms 2009, Wedding at Beuna Vista Palace 04/08/09, Coco Key 2010, Art of Animation, RPR Universal, Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014, RPR & Disney's Swan 2017, Rosen Inn @ Pointe, Hard Rock Hotel, Port Orleans French 2018.

DLP: :
Best Western MLV 2007, Hotel Cheyenne 2008, Sequoia Lodge 2010, Dream Castle 2011, Kyriad MLV Torcy 2012, Hotel El'ysee 2012, Hotel Cheyenne 2013, Sequoia Lodge 2015.
Hels80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 15, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post

The original icon of Disney's Hollywood Studios was the Ear-ful Tower - the water tower located on the back lot. It featured prominently during the MGM Studios days. It was copied on the one that still stands at the Walt Disney studios in Burbank, California.

Then Eisner came along and started shoving up stuff that really didn't belong. The wand on Spaceship earth was his biggest doozy. It took 7 years to get rid of that. Then out of nowhere on September 28, 2001 as part of the 100 Years of Magic celebration, they come along and stick Mickey's hat smack bang in front of the beautiful Grauman's Chinese theatre which was meant to be viewed from the Crossroads at the bottom of Hollywood Boulevard. As this park was meant to be a distallation of Hollywoood why should a massive hat be part of the architectecture?
Where it stands was once a flower bed which was Mickey's nose. Yes his nose. The whole park was designed to be a Hidden Mickey which has been slowly eroded down the years. This is an aerial view of how it looked when it first opened:

I'm just hoping that once the hat has gone, the space remains open and they don't plonk anything else there.

Edited at 10:16 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 15, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Geoff, if Disney do put something there you can officially call them 'plonkers'

In your best Del Boy voice of course
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 15, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
The original icon of Disney's Hollywood Studios was the Ear-ful Tower - the water tower located on the back lot. It featured prominently during the MGM Studios days. It was copied on the one that still stands at the Walt Disney studios in Burbank, California.

Then Eisner came along and started shoving up stuff that really didn't belong. The wand on Spaceship earth was his biggest doozy. It took 7 years to get rid of that. Then out of nowhere on September 28, 2001 as part of the 100 Years of Magic celebration, they come along and stick Mickey's hat smack bang in front of the beautiful Grauman's Chinese theatre which was meant to be viewed from the Crossroads at the bottom of Hollywood Boulevard. As this park was meant to be a distallation of Hollywoood why should a massive hat be part of the architectecture?
Where it stands was once a flower bed which was Mickey's nose. Yes his nose. The whole park was designed to be a Hidden Mickey which has been slowly eroded down the years. This is an aerial view of how it looked when it first opened:

I'm just hoping that once the hat has gone, the space remains open and they don't plonk anything else there.
I love that photo x