Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Nov 15, 04:12 AM  
Link to this Post

** UPDATE** Is there a penalty charge with Alamo for returning rental car early at Orlando Airport?

Is there a penalty charge with Alamo for returning rental car early at Orlando Airport?
Hi all, we rented a car at Orlando Airport with Alamo Brita from 1 Nov to 10 Dec 2015. We now have to return home a week early and wondered if there was a penalty charge for returning the car 7 days early?

We paid at the counter when we picked up the car so at the moment there is a payment hold on our CC until the car is returned. TBH the rate we got on Alamo Brits for the initital rental was pretty good so we're not really expecting a refund for the 7 days (although we wouldn't say no! ) but just wondered if there was a penalty for returning the car early.

Also, do we need to inform Alamo of our new return date in advance or just return the car at Orlando Airport on the earlier date?
Has anyone here had experience of this and could give me some advice please.

TIA, Smallone ��

Also posted in "Car Hire & Transportation" Forum under From: Is there a penalty charge with Alamo for returning rental car early at Orlando Airport? - theDIBB
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=920020

Edited at 01:52 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 15, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Demonwar
Very Serious Dibber

Depends on your contract and the rates you are paying. From what I understand though Alamo do charge understay fees, what they are though isn't really said about anywhere as they will differ from location to location I think.

Reading around, ring up the office first before the return. But expect the full charge to be taken plus the fee which is probably the daily rate of the car rent x number of days left.

If the reason you are leaving early is some sort of emergency then make and get as much documentation possible to put claims in with your insurance.
Demonwar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 15, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
debs1505
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
We often go for 5 or 6 nights and find it cheaper to hire a car for a week so return it early and have never been charged an early return fee. That's with Alamo, dollar and Avis
Old 21 Nov 15, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
as I understand it no , the only thing I could find was no refunds given for unused days

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 15, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I'm with mouli1. I've got a copy of the T&Cs from earlier this year and can't see where Demonwar gets his/her information.
Old 21 Nov 15, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

I only recall seeing charges for late returns, which is acceptable. I don't know if there is a charge for early returns, but would love to know, if there are, how it is justified.

OP, have you had a good read of your T+Cs? Hope you can get sorted without too much trouble.
bella9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 15, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Hi Demonwar is correct, it depends on your contracts T&C's and I have had a Hertz rental that specified a charge for returning early

But if this is any help, I have a current Alamo Brits car rental for next May- in the contract it states that any unused days on a prepaid reservation are non-refundable but it doesnt say you will be charged any extra

Sorry you have to come home early-hope all OK
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 15, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post

I've never heard of a charge for a returning a car early... we did this with Avis this year returning it the day before and they didn't bat an eyelid
Old 22 Nov 15, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Can't say I have heard of this before but surely a case of having your cake and eating it.
If you have paid for a week and only use five days then they are up on the deal anyway - to charge more is taking the proverbial

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 15, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks everyone for the comments. I read through my T&C's and it looks like we won't get a refund for the unused days. Tbh I expected this. Website mentions an additional $15 fee is also payable for returning the car early but if we get away with just that we'll be happy enough. Thanks again to all for their advice.
Closed Thread