Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Aug 18, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
trekkerglenn
Proud to wear my Ears

dummy flying club full flights or upgrade?

very new to the points part of flying, as a family we've amassed roughly 100,000 points (combined which is a separate question in itself)

I've just tried a dummy booking

lgw - mco flight in Feb 19 and it suggests £794 plus the 100k points for 2ad 2ch

I don't put any real "i've got to hold onto these points" value on the points so looking at £800 for a return economy flight for 4 in Feb seems amazing.

Am I missing something vital and prior to a phone call to Flying club can I combine the points to make this type of booking?

Thanks
trekkerglenn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by trekkerglenn View Post
very new to the points part of flying, as a family we've amassed roughly 100,000 points (combined which is a separate question in itself)

I've just tried a dummy booking

lgw - mco flight in Feb 19 and it suggests £794 plus the 100k points for 2ad 2ch

I don't put any real "i've got to hold onto these points" value on the points so looking at £800 for a return economy flight for 4 in Feb seems amazing.

Am I missing something vital and prior to a phone call to Flying club can I combine the points to make this type of booking?

Thanks
That sounds about right as far as pricing is concerned.

Your issue will be how the 100k are split across different accounts. You must have enough for whole flights in each account to book a ticket.

Example:

Each flight costs 25,000 Miles. Any of these combinations of miles in your accounts will work:
1 x 100,000
1 x 75,000 and 1x 25,000
2 x 50,000
4 x 25,000

However, if you have say 80,000 in one account and 20,000 in another, you can only book 3 tickets from the biggest account, as the smaller one hasn't enough for one ticket.

Similarly, if you have 50,000 in one account, and around 15-20k in the others, you can only book two tickets.

It *might* be worth buying extra miles if one or more of the accounts is not far short, but that can get really expensive.

Some people have reported getting a Flying Club employee to combine miles for free, but they seem to be few and far between these days.

Hope this helps.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

Try calling flying club and see what they say. I recently upgraded our free flights and the lady at the call centre just used 500 miles from my husbands account combined with my miles without any problem - free of charge and didn’t need to speak to him either. So it would really depend on who you get the other end. Be nice with lots of praise as a spoonful of sugar opens many doors 😉
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Redsox77 View Post
Try calling flying club and see what they say. I recently upgraded our free flights and the lady at the call centre just used 500 miles from my husbands account combined with my miles without any problem - free of charge and didn’t need to speak to him either. So it would really depend on who you get the other end. Be nice with lots of praise as a spoonful of sugar opens many doors 😉
Yeah exactly this. Whilst 'officially' you need to have the right amount of miles in each account, I've seen so many people say they've pooled miles from other accounts by speaking to FC.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mickymoose
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We have definitely had miles pooled for free from two different accounts. Obviously, they were in the same family.

Here now and loving it!
mickymoose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by baboons View Post
Each flight costs 25,000 Miles. Any of these combinations of miles in your accounts will work:
1 x 100,000
1 x 75,000 and 1x 25,000
2 x 50,000
4 x 25,000
I thought each account only needed enough miles for a single leg, so for the return flight above 25,000 each leg is 12,500?
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
trekkerglenn
Proud to wear my Ears

great info thanks all. i'll give FC a call
trekkerglenn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lovewdw View Post
I thought each account only needed enough miles for a single leg, so for the return flight above 25,000 each leg is 12,500?
This is correct
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List