Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 23 Aug 18, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mickymoose
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
You do realise that it would actually cost you less if you just bought the Gold Annual passes in the first place rather than upgrading the 21 day tickets, don't you?

Based on your figures:

Gold Annual pass = $560
21 day ticket + Upgrade = $560 + $27 = $587

Therefore, it's $27 cheaper per person to buy the Gold Annual passes.

Robby-99 wasn't asking why you buy annual passes. He was asking why you buy Ultimate tickets and then upgrade (rather than buying the annual passes in the first place).
My way, we save loads due to going twice in the same year.

We are not upgrading next year, but will probably buy ultimate passes again in 2020, use the water park elements and then upgrade at the end of our trip. We get free parking when staying onsite with DVC anyway.

Our figures are correct and work out for us so that we save 1.2k based on today’s costs.

Your way means we would spend at least $2.5k every year.

Here now and loving it!
mickymoose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mickymoose View Post
My way, we save loads due to going twice in the same year.

We are not upgrading next year, but will probably buy ultimate passes again in 2020, use the water park elements and then upgrade at the end of our trip. We get free parking when staying onsite with DVC anyway.

Our figures are correct and work out for us so that we save 1.2k based on today’s costs.

Your way means we would spend at least $2.5k every year.
I think I may be missing something?

On the one hand, you can buy a Gold Annual Pass and then activate it on 9th August 2018 at a price of $560 per person. It would last until 9th August 2019. Then stop using the Annual Pass. Then buy another Gold Annual pass early in 2020 (lets say for $560 again - assuming prices don't change) and activate it on 16th August 2020. It'll last until 16th August 2021.
Total cost for option 1 is $1120. It covers 4 holidays.

On the other hand, you can buy a 21 day Ultimate ticket for $560, start using on 9th August 2018, upgrade to a Gold Annual Pass for the cost of $27. The annual pass would last until 9th August 2019. Then stop using the Annual Pass. Then buy a 21 day Ultimate ticket for $560 in 2020 (again, assuming the prices don't change), start using on 16th August 2020, upgrade to a Gold Annual Pass for the cost of $27. It'll last until 16th August 2021.
Total cost for option 2 is $1174. It covers 4 holidays.

So option 1 is cheaper than option 2. Buying the annual passes when you need them will be $54 cheaper than buying Ultimate tickets and upgrading them.

Or am I missing something?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
jonny_b
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Can you buy a gold pass without being DVC ? What does gold get you ?
jonny_b is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
jonny_b
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I’ve worked out correct me if I’m wrong

Disney platinum pass $849
To pounds in today rate of 1.25
£679

Disney 14 day unlimited with memory £394

Meaning annual upgrade should be £285 each

Approx

Am I on the right lines ?
jonny_b is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
robby-99
Very Serious Dibber

Disney platinum pass is $904.19 inc tax which is £723.35.
The price you paid for your 14 day ticket isn't relevant as it's what Disney originally sold it for that they base the upgrade price on. You are only going to find this out when you go to upgrade.

Edited at 09:40 AM.
robby-99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
jonny_b
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

It seems very much pot luck haha

So my strategy is

Go on my birthday! Get the biggest badge I can find!

Say it’s my birthday and hope for the best deal!

I might smile a lot to ! Fingers crossed ! Haha
Old 26 Aug 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jonny_b View Post
It seems very much pot luck haha

So my strategy is

Go on my birthday! Get the biggest badge I can find!

Say it’s my birthday and hope for the best deal!

I might smile a lot to ! Fingers crossed ! Haha
i could try this when i go as it will be my birthday when i am there
Old 9 Sep 18, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mickymoose
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I think I may be missing something?

On the one hand, you can buy a Gold Annual Pass and then activate it on 9th August 2018 at a price of $560 per person. It would last until 9th August 2019. Then stop using the Annual Pass. Then buy another Gold Annual pass early in 2020 (lets say for $560 again - assuming prices don't change) and activate it on 16th August 2020. It'll last until 16th August 2021.
Total cost for option 1 is $1120. It covers 4 holidays.

On the other hand, you can buy a 21 day Ultimate ticket for $560, start using on 9th August 2018, upgrade to a Gold Annual Pass for the cost of $27. The annual pass would last until 9th August 2019. Then stop using the Annual Pass. Then buy a 21 day Ultimate ticket for $560 in 2020 (again, assuming the prices don't change), start using on 16th August 2020, upgrade to a Gold Annual Pass for the cost of $27. It'll last until 16th August 2021.
Total cost for option 2 is $1174. It covers 4 holidays.

So option 1 is cheaper than option 2. Buying the annual passes when you need them will be $54 cheaper than buying Ultimate tickets and upgrading them.

Or am I missing something?
Seems feasible if you are using those prices. Either way, my family’s ticket prices will be roughly half. The prices are all dependent on where you buy them from in the U.K. and we know how variable they are, especially with promo rates and money back sites. Don’t forget you can upgrade your ultimate on the last day of your trip, gaining water park entry too for the whole of the time there. The next year on an annual Gold pass you wouldn’t.

Here now and loving it!
mickymoose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Seems feasible if you are using those prices.
I was using the prices you provided in your post (post #18).

As I said in reply to your post:

Based on your figures:

Gold Annual pass = $560
21 day ticket + Upgrade = $560 + $27 = $587

Therefore, it's $27 cheaper per person to buy the Gold Annual passes.
If your figures are wrong/different, then that will make a difference, I agree.

This was all based on the original question as to why people bought a 14/21 day ticket and then upgraded to an Annual Pass rather than just buying an Annual Pass in the first place. If Disney is using the vendor's price of the 14/21 ticket ticket, then it will be cheaper to just buy the Annual Pass outright rather than upgrading.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Seems feasible if you are using those prices. Either way, my family’s ticket prices will be roughly half. The prices are all dependent on where you buy them from in the U.K. and we know how variable they are, especially with promo rates and money back sites. Don’t forget you can upgrade your ultimate on the last day of your trip, gaining water park entry too for the whole of the time there. The next year on an annual Gold pass you wouldn’t.
I believe if you have visited a waterpark on your ultimate tickets you have to upgrade to an annual pass that includes them.

I haven't gone back and reread tbe thread but I was confused at one point as to whether you mistakenly thought the annual pass started from the upgrade date. Apologies if you do realise it starts from the date of first use of the ultimates but thought it worth mentioning in case anyone else reading isn't clear.